Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:50 PM

20 posts, read 69,992 times

Advertisements

I went to Pinon with enthusiasm, open arms, and plans of being there quite awhile. I did my research as much as I could before accepting the job. I knew it was a rural place and a Navajo reservation. I questioned people about how non-native children would be treated and get along here. I was told that the kids were 'good kids' and that my kids would be fine. There were so many things that were hidden or lied about.
You definitely have to want a huge challenge and not take it to heart when the native children call you racist names, or names just because you aren't native (and they are very open with you about the fact that they don't like you because of you skin color/ethnic group.) I have found that for the most part they don't seem to want to learn, (except for a select few.) You shouldn't have to try and force a child to learn. That should come from a lot of things, and if their parents don't think education is important, a lot of the kids wont either no matter what you do. Its true that you have to change your expectations to feel like you are doing your job there. In fact, you have to lower your expectations significantly, which I was and am unwilling to do.
I also have had so many things stolen from the classroom, that its not even funny. (Never in my past teaching experience did I have to either lock everything up, tie it down, or not bring it.)
I tried all the things that were mentioned before... the going out into the community, going to games, volunteering, talking to parents, greeting people at the grocery store, etc., and for the life of me could not get anywhere with it. I had big hopes and dreams and came up with a huge list of intentions for 'helping' in the community, just to be shown that I was not accepted by the kids, and solely because I am not Navajo.
Yes, teachers need to try different things and try to make lessons relevant to kids' lives... I tried all of those things. A lot of the parents of 'problem kids' (and there are quite a few) don't seem to care and aren't around. They have even been known to put the guilt trip on you if you 'fail their kid.' The reason why 90% of the write-ups come from 10% of the teachers seems to be because other teachers have given up on referring kids to the office because nothing is going to change if they do send them to the office. Discipline is a huge problem, and someone needs to step in and help. There is only so much a teacher can do as far as classroom discipline when a kid refuses to listen, and kids don't learn when they don't want to listen. Its like the saying goes... you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
The teachers that seem to stay there for more than one year seem to be the ones with no kids, and often no spouse. If you have family with you that you care about, you decide quickly that you care too much about them to put them through more pain and suffering than you have to and you pack up and leave. The families don't deserve the treatment they get living there, and neither do the teachers. There is nothing that says a good teachers puts up with abuse from their students and keeps going no matter how much they are stepped on.
I don't mean to offend anyone, but am just tired of the truth not being told about living in Pinon. It is a very rough place to be, and there is little to no incentive to stay. I, for one, want to be in a place that I know I am making a difference... where there are people that want the kind of help and teaching that I can provide. Had I felt that, I would have stayed for many years. I did not intend to give up two or three or four years of my life, as well as my family's lives trying to fit in and 'earn' the respect that I should have been given to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 07:36 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly14 View Post
Hi, guys! Can anyone tell me what it's like to teach as SPED teacher in Pinon USD? about the SPED teacher's salary/benefits, etc. What is it like to teach there? I have a relative who wants to apply as SPED teacher there.

I welcome all your comments. Thanks!!!
I would avoid teaching anywhere in Arizona especially since you are a SPED teacher. Teachers aren't treated well here AT ALL. You would do so much better looking in another state. Since you have a SPED degree, I would try the midwest. Yes they have a surplus of other applicants, but I hear they need SPED teachers.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:55 PM

10 posts, read 57,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I would avoid teaching anywhere in Arizona especially since you are a SPED teacher. Teachers aren't treated well here AT ALL. You would do so much better looking in another state. Since you have a SPED degree, I would try the midwest. Yes they have a surplus of other applicants, but I hear they need SPED teachers.
I would have to agree with this statement. Teachers aren't treated well here in Arizona. Perhaps that's why we lose a lot of teachers to New Mexico because certification and other requirements are much easier there Also, the Republican controlled State House seems constantly set on downgrading education by cutting resources and budgets. There is a reason why Arizona is 50th in the nation on education spending. Contract renewal time is always stressful around here.

But we do our best anyway! There are a lot of good things to say about the state.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 5,832 times
Hi,I am a mom of 3 kids and my husband is really thinking of moving us to Pinon, to teach. I am a city gal, it sound like we should just forget it.?!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momthat cares View Post
Hi,I am a mom of 3 kids and my husband is really thinking of moving us to Pinon, to teach. I am a city gal, it sound like we should just forget it.?!
I would strongly suggest that you come up and visit the school before making your decision. The isolation isn't for everyone, but the natural beauty is incredible. I don't mind the long drives to Flagstaff or Winslow for medical care or to shop, it always seems like I'm on a perpetual vacation out here. I never get tired of the wide open spaces, the mesas and rock formations, and even the unimproved roads. It's an adventure - I have never felt more alive than I have living out here.

I would be concerned about the children though. There have been problems for some of white kids though our Filipino and Black children haven't had the same problems. It's a difficult call. It is said that Pinon has more anti-white antagonism because of the land disputes with the Hopi and the forced relocation of thousands of Navajo (many of whom were relocated into the Pinon area). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Tsaile (Chinle School District) though. We had no problems there with the children of white teachers They fit in easily and I never saw any problems.

If you are serious about teaching here, you should visit and talk to people to get a realistic view of what you are getting into.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:24 PM

I don't know what ethnic group you are, but I would definitely think hard about bringing your kids here. I am white, and as I believe I said before, my kids had a horrible time. They were very open to becoming friends with the Native children but were not easily accepted.

Just think about it. I am not sure how visiting for a day or two would help you know how your family will do with fitting in, but it will help you know if you are ok with being in such a rural place. If you don't visit doctors much, its not as much of a hassle driving a ways unless its an emergency. If you or you children have frequent medical problems, it can be a pain.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:45 PM

8 posts, read 31,652 times
Yep you either love or hate being in Pinon . I have to say if you come in with an attitude you will recieve it right back fromthe kids. these kids are very intuitive and they know right away if you dont like them.they will test you to the very edge of your finger tips. There are some very basic things that people coming here take for granted. I just want to say these kids are not White and they did not grow up in a middle class life style. Deal with it. So many kids just need attentionand will go to whatever it will take to get it. If your coming out here the first year will be your worst. My adivce is dont let them see you cry or get angry. They love it when you do and your year will be over right then and there Your secodn year should you stay the kids will love you because they know your arent there for the pay check your there for them. And you need to be there for them .

Old 05-15-2009, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 18,784 times
Default RE: teaching in pinon

"Yep you either love or hate being in Pinon ."

I agree with this it seems you do.

" I have to say if you come in with an attitude you will recieve it right back fromthe kids."

I came in with open arms and understanding that this is a tough situation, did not come in with a "it has to be my way" attitude, and certainly did not expect them to be like "white middle class kids"(whatever that is supposed to mean), but expected the schools to be RUN decently with support and help from the administration and in some cases other teachers. The sad thing was, I was respectful of the Navajo culture and immersed myself as best I could and still it didn't work out.

"these kids are very intuitive and they know right away if you dont like them."

I believe all kids, anywhere, are smart enough to figure this out. And again, came with open arms and open mind, still love my kids and they know it.

"they will test you to the very edge of your finger tips."

Oh yes they will, but don't expect help understanding them or how to tailor your teaching to work better with them.

" There are some very basic things that people coming here take for granted. I just want to say these kids are not White and they did not grow up in a middle class life style. Deal with it. "

This is exactly the attitude I am talking about when I say you will get no help understanding them. Telling me that they aren't white doesn't help me understand them better. Honestly, it's disrespectful and frankly pretty racist.

"So many kids just need attentionand will go to whatever it will take to get it."

They really do need attention and they will absolutely do whatever it takes. But a huge problem here is there is ZERO recreational activities for kids/families and some families dump their kids at the dormitory so they don't have to deal with them. That's the part that gets me the most. A child is not entirely a product of the school, in fact the vast majority of what they are comes from home. I'm not angry with most of the parents because most parents do the best they can with what they have. Many are very overwhelmed. But where is the help when families are having troubles--it all seems to just get brushed under the rug.

If your coming out here the first year will be your worst. My adivce is dont let them see you cry or get angry. They love it when you do and your year will be over right then and there Your secodn year should you stay the kids will love you because they know your arent there for the pay check your there for them. "

The paycheck? Yeah, I was definitely here for the paycheck, that's a laugh. If you aren't from AZ and aren't used to the punishing taxes, retirement and insurance costs then you will be absolutely shocked.

And you need to be there for them

I was, and that is the saddest part of all. I'm not leaving because of the kids.

All that being said, I'm sad to be leaving many of the people and kids that I have gotten to know this year. But I'm also not a glutton for punishment and would rather have to swallow my pride and move in with my parents and go without a teaching job for who knows how long than do this again for the "hope" that it will get better. People keep saying it gets better and then I see more senior teachers wanting out as well......

Old 05-15-2009, 08:33 PM

I agree with you 100%. And... I don't think any of us expected them to be 'white middle class kids.' We knew what kind of kids they are, and to me... kids are kids. I don't see color. Unfortunately, these kids do. It breaks my heart to see such hatred and racism coming from children. I don't think sticking around and showing them different will help. Some have done that. I have even been told by the kids that I should 'go back where I came from" and that "I came in and invaded them." It is evident that racism is a learned thing for them. They get it from home. There are some I absolutely love, but its the ones that do everything they can to be unlovable that really get me, although I have tried to be loving towards even them.

And... the paycheck... LOL! What paycheck?? They always took literally half of mine before I saw it. I was definitely not in it for the paycheck. Lol. I took home more as a first year teacher in another state. I went to Pinon because I love kids and wanted to teach.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:44 PM

Well, anyone viewing this thread has certainly gotten an extensive range of viewpoints. That's probably a good thing as I'd rather see new teachers coming in with a realistic set of expectations and a firm committment to succeed than another class of new teachers with fantasies about what it will be like to live and teach on the Rez.

What we need in Pinon are teachers who will stay around and make a long term committment to these kids and this community. It definitely won't be easy, you definitely won't get rich, your temper will definitely be frayed at times, but it definitely has its personal rewards. You have to be the judge about what you are looking for in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona