Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:16 PM

6 posts, read 66,689 times

Advertisements

I live in Montana and my family and I are looking at possibly moving to Anchorage, I am wondering what the job market is. I have a Bachelors in Human Service and my husband has a bachelors in economics,accounting. I work for the state right now with the Welfare to Work Program and I really love my job. I am wondering how easy it is to get a job. We have three young children two in school. So I just need some advice as well as what the housing market is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 11:54 PM

686 posts, read 3,718,926 times
Not to sure how it is to come by a job. To me, you apply, try to get the job, and hopefully do get it. As for the housing market, housing is fairly pricey. Something decent will cost over 300,000 from what i've seen online. You surely can find something under that amount, but you won't get very much.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:59 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,449,260 times
Try State of Alaska Home Page

Old 01-19-2008, 11:16 PM

200 posts, read 718,841 times
You can also try here:
craigslist: alaska classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Old 01-21-2008, 01:22 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,336,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatter5 View Post
I live in Montana and my family and I are looking at possibly moving to Anchorage, I am wondering what the job market is. I have a Bachelors in Human Service and my husband has a bachelors in economics,accounting. I work for the state right now with the Welfare to Work Program and I really love my job. I am wondering how easy it is to get a job. We have three young children two in school. So I just need some advice as well as what the housing market is.
I spent most of one winter in Conrad, and from what I saw, wages in Alaska are a lot higher for your line of work. Go to the state's home page, each area of interest like voc rehab, DSHS, and so on will also have openings listed. Apply for whatever looks like you're qualified, and unless times have changed a lot, some of them will provide a moving allowance. Consider the Native Associations, too, they give Native preference but don't exclude anyone who's well-qualified. Depending on where you live now, living in AK will seem relatively mild by comparison, too - the winters will just last a bit longer. Conrad was considerably colder than Anchorage was, and I spent a winter in Anchorage as well. It's so dry you really don't notice just how cold it is, so you have to be careful your kids won't get frostbite.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:32 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,881,437 times
And here:

Alaska Job Center Network

Old 01-22-2008, 07:12 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,192,905 times
Alaska Jobs - HelpWantedAlaska.com: Jobs in Alaska and Careers in Alaska -

Old 01-26-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I spent most of one winter in Conrad, and from what I saw, wages in Alaska are a lot higher for your line of work. Go to the state's home page, each area of interest like voc rehab, DSHS, and so on will also have openings listed. Apply for whatever looks like you're qualified, and unless times have changed a lot, some of them will provide a moving allowance. Consider the Native Associations, too, they give Native preference but don't exclude anyone who's well-qualified. Depending on where you live now, living in AK will seem relatively mild by comparison, too - the winters will just last a bit longer. Conrad was considerably colder than Anchorage was, and I spent a winter in Anchorage as well. It's so dry you really don't notice just how cold it is, so you have to be careful your kids won't get frostbite.

Well thank you for the info.. My husband will be loosing his job around june as it is a massive layoff. so he will be going to Alaska to look around , and check things out in July for month or so. I have lived in Montana all my life so it is somewhat scary to even think of moving as we own a house here and the kids are adjusted here. I have been to Conrad and we live somewhat close to there around 80 miles or so. and yes the winters here are quite cold.,
but I Am ready for a change, so thanks again for the respons and good luckl to you

Old 01-26-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Not to sure how it is to come by a job. To me, you apply, try to get the job, and hopefully do get it. As for the housing market, housing is fairly pricey. Something decent will cost over 300,000 from what i've seen online. You surely can find something under that amount, but you won't get very much.
thanks for the info., yea we would probably have to rent at first. so what would rent be for a 3-4 bedroom?

Old 01-27-2008, 09:06 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,242,468 times
3 BR from 1200 - 1500. best estimate at this point. Those are in Anchorage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage