Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 AM

27 posts, read 72,233 times

Advertisements

I have wanted to move to Alaska for 20 years and make have a job offer in Anchorage. However, I don't particularly want to live in the middle of Anchorage, and love some houses (and can afford them) in North Kenai area. Is there a way for someone to make that daily commute? Driving is 3 hours, plane 25 min but not affordable. Is there some type of ferry service?

I'm a Florida native and live in the middle of the woods in SC now. I'm used to an hour commute one way but 3would be too much. Any info is appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 09:34 AM

275 posts, read 580,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbpsc View Post
I have wanted to move to Alaska for 20 years and make have a job offer in Anchorage. However, I don't particularly want to live in the middle of Anchorage, and love some houses (and can afford them) in North Kenai area. Is there a way for someone to make that daily commute? Driving is 3 hours, plane 25 min but not affordable. Is there some type of ferry service?
There is no commuter ferry service between Kenai and Anchorage. If you don't want to live in Anchorage, you best bet is to look north of Anchorage. Eagle River, Chugiak, Birchwood, Eklutna, Palmer, and Wasilla are a few of the cities and areas north of Anchorage.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 AM

863 posts, read 2,080,191 times
That would not be a reasonable commute. Not only is it very long, but that very winding road gets some exceptionally bad weather, and is occasionally closed by avalanches. I personally wouldn't do the Mat-Su commute either (40-50 miles each way) but thousands do, and at least it's on a good divided highway. Chugiak, Birchwood, parts of Eagle River, and Peters Creek are all closer, but feel semi-rural, definitely not like living in the center of Anchorage.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the info. I'd have to find a comparable home to make my hubby happy about such a move.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,758,977 times
Bear Valley has a country feel in south Anchorage.

I consider the commute from the Kenai to be mission impossible LOL.

Even Palmer/Wasilla would be too much for me with the storms, ice, moose, etc.

We spent a year in Eagle River but ended up buying a house in Anchorage instead. To us, Eagle River was more bedroom community than country.

Good luck with your choices!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM

With a little web browsing, Palmer/Wasilla will probably be our best bet. We live in the woods now, and for us to move into a subdivision would be disastrous. I can handle an hour commute easy and would have to drive my refurbished and upgraded CJ7 more (aww, rats! LOL). One of the many reasons we want to move- absolutely no place to dirt bike or 4 wheel here.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:31 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,758,977 times
Just know that winter driving on the Glenn tends not to be easy, especially for one not used to alaska ice & snow. I see quite a number of vehicles off the side of the road on the Glenn. Friends hit a moose that stepped out in a heavy fog at the Palmer hay flats.

Perhaps rent & try it for a winter before committing by buying a home.

You can certainly find woods up in the Mat-Su. Birchwood/Peter's Creek area also is wooded & is much closer, maybe check that area out too.

Good luck!

Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,706,337 times
Plenty of wooded areas in the Hillside area of Anchorage.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:48 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,530,316 times
Might want to take a visit first.... I did a Summer one and I am planning a winter one before I commit to a move.

Look around at housing and try a morning and afternoon commute from the different areas. And try them in the winter if possible. Since you have a job offer, now might be the time to go and explore.

I am sure someone will point out that many people have moved sight unseen and loved it. Some have moved and hated it. You have to decide if you want to take that chance.

Oh and kiss those low SC gas prices goodbye.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:27 PM

Yes, we do have the best gas prices in the entire country here. We also have all those half back Yankees too though! Grrrr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage