Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 09:20 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times

Advertisements

Why has nobody responded to my pointing out about the fat man on the burro at 00:40?? Is there a conspiracy here??? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 09:29 AM

264 posts, read 136,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
The US government has used many underhand tactics before, I wouldn't put it past them. True the authoritarian Chinese regime is not one I support, if Latin America continues to pivot away from the US towards other powers/markets it will be the US' own doing and for no substantial reason. The US should stop its heavy handed and paranoid approach because it will only be to its own detriment in the long run.
Whatever DR and China are cooking behind the scenes is going to be massive, to warrant such a harsh campaign from the US.

For the Tourism moguls to sacrifice so much, the rewards must be big, or so they think
only time will tell.

DR is hell bent into capturing the Chinese tourist market, Just today the CEO of the forth largest airline in Asia Hainan Airlines is in DR talking about to connection to punta cana.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/touris...nese-visitors/

This whole thing makes little sense, as a direct flight from China could easily take 16 hours.
that just too far. i guess they are trying to move away from cheap all inclusive american tourism to a more hi-end tourism.

Last edited by Grabandgo; 06-26-2019 at 09:39 AM..

Old 06-26-2019, 12:27 PM

536 posts, read 610,591 times
These recent stories are incredibly sad but, just the same, are over represented in media compared to rate of occurrence. There is now something like five million tourists who visit DR per year over the past decade including 1.5-2 million Americans in any given year over the past decade, literally 99.9% of people who go to DR return home without issue.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
These recent stories are incredibly sad but, just the same, are over represented in media compared to rate of occurrence. There is now something like five million tourists who visit DR per year over the past decade including 1.5-2 million Americans in any given year over the past decade, literally 99.9% of people who go to DR return home without issue.
its a campaign to hurt DR

Old 06-26-2019, 01:51 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,336 times
China is already heavily in the Caribbean and Latin America...this DR is the gateway to the Caribbean angle makes no sense to me...at any rate, there were some strange unexplained deaths in the DR but this media coverage does seem like piling on..some of those deaths highlighted by the media seem quite explainable...I would say that I would stay away from the 2 hotels (more so than stay away from the DR itself) that had the strange deaths until they are able to explain what happened

Old 06-27-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
I would say that I would stay away from the 2 hotels (more so than stay away from the DR itself) that had the strange deaths until they are able to explain what happened
Very reasonable approach.
for me, if I were to go there, I'd stay with the family of a friend. But I just don't have an overwhelming urge to go there. I guess it would be cool to hang out with them and experience the different culture, but I can't say I have much of an urge to go anywhere in Latin America (except for my annual trips to Mexico and Colombia to hang out with family), I just can't really think of any big "draw", something that I just have to go see.

People say Machu Picchu. I suppose so. I guess if I found myself standing at the base of the mountain, looking up, I'd get the urge to go check out the ruins.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:41 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Machu Picchu is alright, but there is nothing there. Once the novelty that the Incas built that place in a mountain goes off that is. I went there mostly because my then girlfriend wanted to see the place. Cusco was very nice, a Spanish colonial place with the Inca foundations on many of the buildings. It’s interesting to see many buildings starting off as Inca places but most of the building and roof is in the typical Spanish styles.

I feel very comfortable in parts of Lima that I actually don’t mind spending all my time in Peru in that city. I hate the gurúa that affects that city for many months of the year. It’s like its wet but not wet, yet everything is wet all the time and you hardly see the sun. People tell me it hardly rains in that city and a rain that is normal elsewhere becomes big news over there. The first couple of times that I went there it was like this and as far as the weather is concerned it was horrible. In La Molina, which its still in Lima metro area, it was sunny when I went there while in Lima proper it was that damn gurúa. lol

Perú was a very nice trip, mostly because the people made it worthwhile. That was the first place where I saw a dry as a bone desert. Landing wasn’t too much fun. The landing itself was normal, but much of view from the plane (left side facing the front) is not pretty at all. The first time you wonder if you made the right choice in going to this country. lol It look bad from the air.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Perú was a very nice trip, mostly because the people made it worthwhile. That was the first place where I saw a dry as a bone desert.
I didn't realize they had deserts. You mean, low-elevation deserts like what you see in southern California, or high-desert like what you see in New Mexico?

Old 06-28-2019, 12:49 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I didn't realize they had deserts. You mean, low-elevation deserts like what you see in southern California, or high-desert like what you see in New Mexico?
I mean deserts where there’s a lot of sand and almost nothing grow. That’s what I saw on the way to Asia (a beach place south of Lima).

I haven’t seen deserts like that in the USA. The few deserts I have seen in the USA has some scrubs growing. Other than southern California (mostly the LA metro area) and the southern tip of Nevada (where is Las Vegas), I haven’t been much in the Southwest. New Mexico is in my plans.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:02 AM

"That took longer than expected and we now know the FBI handed over that information to the families of the people who died and Dominican Authorities back on September 16th.

The State Department`s Bureau of Consular Affairs sent FOX43 Finds Out a statement that reads: "The results of the additional, extensive toxicology testing completed to date have been consistent with the findings of local authorities. Our condolences and sympathy go out to the families during this difficult time."

https://fox43.com/2019/10/16/fox43-f...public-deaths/

and now what?

it was all a lie created by the media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas