Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:47 PM

264 posts, read 136,644 times

Advertisements

antonioR

lets point something out, last week a meeting was called in punta cana to talk about the current situation of the tourist industry and the dead of american tourists. All the big guys were there the president of the country and the hotel owners, Rainieri, Hazoury, Vicini, ect, more than 20 of them.

Why in hell will they release a photo to the press with the president holding a framed front page of the China Daily, announcing the new diplomatic relations of RD and China?

what do that has anything to do with tourism and the dead of tourists?

i think they are convinced this is a campaign of the US government to bully RD away from China.

most of the bad press againt DR comes from FOX news and NY post, Classic propaganda outlets of the US.

rummors everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 02:42 PM

https://youtu.be/tw2Ji01iZbE

Old 06-25-2019, 07:06 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,777,391 times
Anyway, I'd like to get back to marker 00:40 in the youtube video. Why is the fat guy on a burro and the rest of them are on horses? Did the tour guides arrange them in this manner or did the fat guy prefer a burro? I'm curious about the logic of it.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:44 AM

10,069 posts, read 14,947,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
antonioR

lets point something out, last week a meeting was called in punta cana to talk about the current situation of the tourist industry and the dead of american tourists. All the big guys were there the president of the country and the hotel owners, Rainieri, Hazoury, Vicini, ect, more than 20 of them.

Why in hell will they release a photo to the press with the president holding a framed front page of the China Daily, announcing the new diplomatic relations of RD and China?

what do that has anything to do with tourism and the dead of tourists?

i think they are convinced this is a campaign of the US government to bully RD away from China.

most of the bad press againt DR comes from FOX news and NY post, Classic propaganda outlets of the US.

rummors everywhere.
The DR just recently severed ties with Taiwan to have formal ties with China. The Taiwanese president was not very happy about that, as his emotional speech very clearly lets that known. Rosa Ng has been a Dominican-Chinese that represented the country for many years in China and is responsible for the formal recognition of the DR. China gave Rosa Ng a very distinctive welcome and treated her very well. They even gave her that is better than most presidents, with many recognition on her part. Many Dominican products also got the green light from the Chinese government and is already being advertised in that country.

China already authorized the DR as Chinese destination in the Americas. The Chinese tourism representative is or was in the country last week or into this week too to check out Dominican destinations and how it will market them in China. I think the current reunion in the DR was going to be made, but probably the circumstances speed up the process.

I remember that the Punta Catalina Power Plant, which started early this year and will be in full operation by the end of this year, needed financing to finished the project. They went to the US to find it and no one offered to invest. A few weeks later out of nowhere came the Chinese offering to finance the rest of the project. It wasn’t a week later when the US offered new financing for the project, but they also made a speech basically attacking China in this ordeal. Everybody know of the current battle with China that Trump has for the past few years.

Anyway, this is Rosa Ng recently being interviewed in a Dominican TV program. In very short years she made China a major economic player in the DR. She is also very very liked by the Chinese government. Like I said previously, she was treated better than many presidents from important countries while she was in the giant of the east.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:48 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,777,391 times
It find it really funny that Trump's administration is worried about China's power and influence, but every time Trump alienates Latin America, China simply steps in and establishes more presence and stronger relationships in Latin America.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
It find it really funny that Trump's administration is worried about China's power and influence, but every time Trump alienates Latin America, China simply steps in and establishes more presence and stronger relationships in Latin America.
exactly, now the upper classes in DR are convinced the US attacking them.
is only a question of time until that mindset trickles down to the masses and then it will be too late.

The US might be overplaying its hand here, tourism is only 17% of DR economy and US tourist are only 30% of that. even if all US tourist stop going to DR, the economic impact will be Something china can easily substitute with investments in others parts of the economy. That means the RD will need the US less and less.

and more power to China.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:04 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
I think you all are overthinking this U.S. gov't sabotage the DR because of China angle. I mean, anything is possible...BUT...the DR is seldom on the U.S. gov't radar at all...and there is so much more going on with Mexico and Iran and Russia and everywhere else....

I don't think a small trading partner with China would mean much at the moment.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think you all are overthinking this U.S. gov't sabotage the DR because of China angle. I mean, anything is possible...BUT...the DR is seldom on the U.S. gov't radar at all...and there is so much more going on with Mexico and Iran and Russia and everywhere else....

you truly dont get it, DR is the door od china to the Caribbean, you think the same way the US was thinking in 1961 with Cuba and the soviets.

if China manage to get an stronghold in DR, thats a matter of national security.

and commerce wise if China extends its Silk road to Dr ports, that also brings great risks
China already offered a 3 billion dollars investment in rail infrastructure in the country.
DR and Panama are working in tandem in this "shipping port development" with China.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:19 AM

10,069 posts, read 14,947,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Last time I checked the DR was the largest country in land, population, and economy in the Caribbean where the US has a direct influence. The second largest in population and the first or second largest in economy when Central America is taken into account. This is suppose to be the American backyard and the Chinese are getting more attention.

In 1965 the DR was much smaller in population (the whole country had some 3 million people, now just the Santo Domingo metro area has more people) and in economy. It was also much more insular, so despite being one of the largest countries in the Caribbean it didn’t have much effect in the region. Even close by economies such as Puerto Rico and Haiti were largely untouched by the Dominican economy.

Anyway, in the spring of 1965 the US still felt the need for the Marines to invade the country to prevent communism taking over the country. If back then the country was nit important to Americans, the US would had never invaded. The whole ordeal was to prevent another Cuba so close to the USA.

If you count Puerto Rico as a colony, then the DR is Americas 3rd closest country from Spanish America (and geographically the closest Spanish American country to Europe). If you count PR as part of the US, then the DR is the second closest Spanish American country to the USA, closer than Cuba. Less than a two hour flight from Santo Domingo you are already flying over Miami, Florida.

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-26-2019 at 08:34 AM..

Old 06-26-2019, 08:28 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,723,479 times
The US government has used many underhand tactics before, I wouldn't put it past them. True the authoritarian Chinese regime is not one I support, if Latin America continues to pivot away from the US towards other powers/markets it will be the US' own doing and for no substantial reason. The US should stop its heavy handed and paranoid approach because it will only be to its own detriment in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas