Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 05:56 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,600,022 times

Advertisements

Buenos Aires is indeed safe, just look at the stats for the city PROPER. Most of the dangerous "villas miserias" are located outside the city proper, hence, the city itself should be ranked as one of the safest.

San Juan? The tourist area of Old San Juan, Condado, etc. are very safe but there is too much violence (drug related) in the slums for it to rank up there.

Havana? Yes, Havana is safe but not the safest. Cuba's crime rate went up in the past 20 years since the end of the Cold War due to economic hardship. I remember reading about a Biritsh tourist who was killed there walking alone just after dark; killings of tourist have happened. Thus, I do not believe the word "safest" should apply.

Merida, Mexico I spent 5 weeks there and that city is probably safer than Havana. Although I was there before Calderon's War against the Cartels, the situation has not changed much since the Yucatan (except Cancun) is relatively uneffected by the war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 06:06 PM

295 posts, read 320,778 times
Havana,Cuba is definately the safest city in the carribean but as always there is crime even in Cuba. As for the safest big cities, it is Havana!

Old 07-28-2010, 07:24 PM

23,235 posts, read 29,075,721 times
Any city in South or Central America is safe, providing you stay away from the tourist districts. The most danger will come to you where most tourists congregate, IMO.

El Salvador is one of the least touristed countries in Central America, and on my three trips there, devoid of tourists, I felt very safe, even walking around downtown San Salvador.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:57 PM

655 posts, read 2,184,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Any city in South or Central America is safe, providing you stay away from the tourist districts. The most danger will come to you where most tourists congregate, IMO.
That is an extreme generalization.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:28 PM

342 posts, read 1,927,593 times
Quote:
I have a hard time believing this. Many large cities in Latin America have very few tourists but plenty of crime.

Caracas, Cali, Rio, and Mexico City to name a few aren't particularly safe based on what I have heard and experienced.

Obviously you can have fun in a dangerous city if you are extra careful and have a little luck.

What I am looking for are large cities in Latin America where you can have fun, be safe, and not have to be extra careful in order to do so.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:38 PM

Why be so persistent in going to big cities? To merely have fun?

I'm an off-beat, off-the-tourist-circuit, away-from-the-big-city type of traveler. I only use the big cities to take advantage of the cheaper air fare,
once out of the terminal, I hightail it to the nearest bus station and vamoose!

I did that in Chile. Hit every city but Santiago, except to transfer. Same with Argentina, skipped Buenos Aires, only to transfer. Same with Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia.

Lots of fun, interesting, un-touristed mid-sized cities to explore.

Only negative experiences I had was the big cites. Never in the small to mid-sized cities.

On my return to the Airport in Chile, after traversing Chile from one end to the other, I had no choice, at the very end, to go to the bus station in Santiago to transfer to the Airport. And, mysteriously, en route, or thru transferring, my wallet disappeared. Things like that can happen with lightning speed!

Last edited by tijlover; 07-28-2010 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,600,022 times
San Salavador is Horrible!!! Did you see any of the stats on El Salvador?

Old 07-29-2010, 01:17 AM

If I wasted the time looking thru U.S. Consular's Reports, and took their advice to heart, my passport would have no stamps in it.

The appeal of El Salvador, it was the least touristed country in Central.
Up on the saddle I climbed, and away I trotted, miles and miles away from
U.S. Consular Report-checking, safety/security minded Americans.

Some of the nicest, most stupidly honest people I've encountered in any of my travels. How could heaven compare!

Go ahead! Stuff your photo albums with photo's from the safest countries in the world to travel to. Enjoy!

Old 08-01-2010, 04:06 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,369,802 times
Ive been in most countries of south america.
I felt safe in every one of them. I dress conservatively, I dont wear jewelry and my camera big is inconspicous. I speak spanish with a cuban accent and portuguese like a paulistano.
I dont go down dark alleys in the USA,
I dont go down dark alleys in South America

Old 08-03-2010, 03:16 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,207,772 times
Quote:
....On my return to the Airport in Chile, after traversing Chile from one end to the other, I had no choice, at the very end, to go to the bus station in Santiago to transfer to the Airport. And, mysteriously, en route, or thru transferring, my wallet disappeared. Things like that can happen with lightning speed!
Never carry an American style wallet shoved into a pocket, too easy to get lifted in any country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas