Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Clear liqour or Dark liqour?
Clear 28 48.28%
Dark 30 51.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
1 rule here...NO GIN! NO VERMOUTH! (does that count as 2 rules?)

How do you make a martini with no gin???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 12:43 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,296,644 times
Martini-heck. Not here. FROZEN RUM RUNNERS, baby! with 151 floater!
Or carribean Rum Punch!

Old 09-27-2016, 06:40 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Light liquor before 3:00, dark after.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:43 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
How do you make a martini with no gin???

LOL when I lived in NYC there was an old bartender that would tell patrons to hit the bricks if they wanted a vodka martini. There was no such thing; a martini was made with gin and nothing else.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:05 PM

65 posts, read 55,185 times
Only liquor I drink is Hennessy and Jack Daniels.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:33 PM

448 posts, read 534,194 times
Clear. Went on a bender with SoCo 100pf and had a seizure the morning after. Put me off to dark forever. I stick to beer and vodka.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:21 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
The 'study' was flawed. Some liquors are dark due to the addition of caramel or other coloring.

A properly constructed study would have controlled for the selection of the quality of the distillation as a primary factor. The number of times a liquor is distilled, and the care used in the distillation process, has a greater bearing on the propensity and severity of hangovers.

Distillation is a scientific process that requires care and precise temperature controls to achieve a quality product. When a mash is fermented, a number of different types of alcohols are produced. Each type of alcohol vaporizes and condenses at different temperatures from the others. There are 'good' alcohols and 'bad' alcohols. The 'bad' alcohols contribute more toward hangovers than the others.

By precisely controlling the temperatures in the distillation column the 'bad' alcohols can be separated and removed, this drastically affects the quality of the finished product. A poorly controlled distillation process can result in the accumulation and concentration of 'bad' alcohols that can result in more severe hangovers, or in extreme cases can cause blindness and death. This is one of the primary reasons why the US gov't requires that potable alcohol distilleries be licensed and home distillation is illegal- improper and/or careless distilling can cause severe harm and death.

'Moonshine' has, at times, been accorded as having a reputation of causing severe hangovers, blindness, and even death. The reputation is based in fact due to (in years past) primitive equipment and controls, and improper separation of 'heads' and 'tails' which resulted in the concentration of alcohols with toxic/lethal properties.

Traditionally produced 'Applejack' has been accorded the same reputation for hangovers because of the way it is produced. Applejack is made by freezing 'hard' (fermented) apple cider at colder and colder temperatures, a process known as 'jacking'. Alcohols freeze at lower temperatures than water (think 'antifreeze'). The water in the cider is frozen, and the alcohols are drawn off which concentrates them. Unfortunately, this method does not discriminate between the 'good' alcohols and the 'bad' alcohols, it concentrates them both. The result is a product that gives nasty hangovers if you over-imbibe. (Modern 'Applejack' is legally produced by distillation instead of 'jacking'.)

Poorly distilled clear liquor will give just as bad a hangover as poorly distilled 'colored/dark' liquor.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:22 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Clarity is irrelevant.

Sometimes I want a martini made with gin, which is clear.

Other times I want a Manhattan, with rye whisky and red vermouth - decidedly not clear.

Which I prefer on a given day has nothing to do with the fact that one is lighter than the other.

It's like asking whether I enjoy driving a red car or a blue car more. The fact that I might like driving the red Mustang more than the blue Civic has nothing to do with the color.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:26 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
Dark or Gold rum for me.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:40 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Both. I love Vodka, Gin, Tequila, Dark Rum, and Bourbon. Totally depends on my mood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages