Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:19 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,032,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstmeinVA View Post
rybert...thank youi for telling me about the albuquerque photo thread....OMG! The pictures are beautiful! Made me rethink NM . I was worried about missing the fall trees we have here, I love the fall, my favorite season, And spotted some beautiful pictures of the leaves changing, no worries any more LOL, my daughter loves winter, which we do not get in VA often so of course her first question was do they have snowboarding? LOL I told my hubby to call the guy and tell him we are considering a move there. So we are waiting for him to send us the address where my hubby will be working so we can start looking for a house. It is a beautiful area. The pictures take your breath away but the way some describe the area can scare the wits out of a person.

The fall trees look very nice in the bosque around the Rio Grande and the Sandia Mountain in the backdrop, your gonna love it.

I would say the winter here in Abq is comparable to the warmest spot in VA. The nights are cold and days are usually sunny and pleasant, there is something about the winter I really like here.It dosent snow all that much in the city, the westside of town gets even less but the Sandia Mountain will have your snow and there is snow boarding,tubing,and skiing so your kids should have fun. Here in ABQ you get a mild taste of all 4 seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 01:24 PM

522 posts, read 1,611,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetruppert View Post
Thanks everyone. Mike, no kids, just me and hubby, in our mid 50's. We like a place with a little land, and either a big double wide or home, not sure yet. We live in the country now, and think living in a subdivision might be too close for us. I've been looking at maps, pictures of places and at this point, I'm totally confused on what areas to look at. Rybert, those pics are fantastic! My son in CA is a 4 wheeler, and will probably want to move in with us now..thanks...LOL. So what areas would you guys suggest I start researching. Our price range is going to have to be under 150,000. I've seen quite a few in the price range, but not sure of the areas research for real. Buena Ventura? La Cuesta? Chelwood Park? Are there any area in the foothills I should look at? Joanie55, thanks. I don't mind the humidity, but I am glad to hear that I'll still get some heat there. You guys are fantastic. Thanks for helping me. Keep in touch, and let me know anything that will help me out.
Chelwood Park is a questionable area and from what I recall the homes there are not that large. You're in for a bit of a challenge in my opinion in finding someplace that is as large as you want with as much land as you want for the price that you want. I know the real estate market has dropped so i"m not up to speed on what the prices are currently. I would say the foothills are going to be too expensive for you. I think the mountains might be affordable, but you are looking at a 30 minute commute to the base and it does snow quite a bit there in the winter and you would need a 4 wheel drive if you lived there. But you really may love it. I worked in the northeast heights and several of my coworkers lived in the east mountains and loved it. It doesn't get nearly as hot in the summer there, it's greener, has nice winding roads (Alb is flat, roads are straight, not alot of curves), etc. But I would check out the west side as well, there are areas in Taylor Ranch and Paradise Hills that have older homes that are large, with more land than newer ones and could be in your price range. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:18 PM

8 posts, read 15,619 times
Justme, my husband applied for 4 civil service jobs at Kirkland AFB there. If we get one of the jobs, we'll probably be moving right after the first of the year also. I'm sorry your parents say they won't come visit, but maybe they'll change their minds. After you find out more information, let me know. I'd be very interested to hear. I'd love to go check the area out, but that will have to wait until we hear whether or not hubby gets a job. I've been trying to research areas, but haven't gotten too far. I'm so confused about the different areas to move, which are the best, which area has land for sale to put a home on, distance to base, economy, all of that. Luckily I don't have to worry about schools like you do. Let's keep in touch. I'm supposed to get a package from a realtor by Wed or Thursday of this week...so I might learn some stuff.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:24 PM

Joanie55. Thank you. I'll check out those areas online tomorrow. I saw a few homes with about 2 acres today, most with double wides on them, but nothing as pretty as what we have here. Our home has brick around the base, and it looks like a regular home. If you didn't know it was a mobile home, you'd be surprised. I've got a few cities to check out now, or areas. Buena Ventura, La Cuerta, Chelwood Park, Petroglyphia, Paradise Hills and Taylor Ranch. Maybe I'll find something we might like. One that I saw online today had a beautiful vista of a plateau not to far away. But as for landscaping, all I saw was red dirt and some kind of scrub brush. No trees around anywhere. This is going to be a very different adventure for us, but lots of things to explore and see. Thanks for being so kind and helpful.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:05 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,751,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetruppert View Post
I've got a few cities to check out now, or areas. Buena Ventura, La Cuerta, Chelwood Park, Petroglyphia, Paradise Hills and Taylor Ranch.
Hi, me again. I live one block from the volcanic escarpement that forms the western mesa and just "outside" of Taylor ranch. The escarpement area is actually part of the Petroglyphs national park although it is a very narrow "neck" where we are.

This is a photo looking at the escarpement from our driveway.

This area along Unser or Coors Blvd (Taylor Ranch, Ventana Ranch, Petroglyphs, Paradise Hills, etc.) does not meet the "open space" and especially the price category of @ $150,000; $200-250+ is more like it and most houses (ours included) have fairly typical suburban lots.

This is our house and while individually built, it's not that uncommon a design for our area. Note the proximity of the neighbors' house.

I think the combination of short commute, economical pricing and land is going to be very difficult to meet. The West Side where we live is at least 30 minutes from the base in non-rush hour and basically out of the specified price range.

I think the only way you can find what you are looking for is to look outside the city itself, probably in the Eastern Mountain areas and accept the commute.

I'm not trying to burts your bubble, just trying to help you focus productively. It can be done, but not in the areas just mentioned.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:24 PM

Thanks Mike. Beautiful home and area. I truly do appreciate all the help.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:01 PM

66 posts, read 175,794 times
okay I have twice wrote what I was going to say only for it to disappear twice..UGH!
Janetruppert..we will have to compare notes...LOL the locations my agent told me about are Sandoval, Edgewood, Rio Rancho, Bernalillo, and Paradise Hills, now if anyone has any zip codes for these areas It is so fustrating when you know nothing about the area in which your moving to...LOL

Mike Beautiful house...I only dream of living in a house like that

Old 11-10-2008, 09:36 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,907,489 times
Sandoval - Sandoval County?? 87124 - this is Rio Rancho's zip. There is more to Sandoval County than Rio Rancho, but I would bet this is where he was steering you. Parts of Rio Rancho will give you a 30-45 min commute to the base.
Edgewood - 87015 - your commute will be about 35-45 min to the base.
Bernalillo - not sure of the zip, but it is just north of Rio Rancho
Paradise Hills - This is part of Albuquerque. if you look at a map of Albuquerque, it is over on the west side, north of 1-40, south of Rio Rancho - it is one of the "neighborhoods" that is in that area - Paradise Hills is not the entire area. Probably 30 minutes to base?

Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 AM

66 posts, read 175,794 times
We believe hubby is working on the South west side? Is there any areas that are considered nice there or should we stay with moving 30-40 minutes away we were also told of the west side mountains. Hmmmm not an easy task finding a safe place there.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:24 AM

Justme and lisdol....thanks. Now I've got a few more things to check out. We found a couple of places in Moriarty? On Cedar Lane Dr. It's out in the country, with stalls for horses on the property too. I'm a little disappointed in the shape of the houses out there..nothing like we have here, but I might check on just buying land out there and building what we want on it...not sure. I can't wait to get the realtors package with more information since she knows what all we're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque