Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 01:01 PM

486 posts, read 1,497,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
The War Zone is an area of the city that is mostly Hispanic. It has higher crime rates than most places. It is also a poorer area of the city.

It is not actually a "War Zone"
is that the south-east quadrant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 01:02 PM

486 posts, read 1,497,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You can be from out of state as long as you have resided in New Mexico for twelve months prior to matriculation and fulfilled a few other 'demonstrative acts' which include things like getting a NM driver's license, registering to vote, fill out an income tax form (he or she should do this even if not employed).

In the meantime (that first year), CNM is a good option because of low tuition and full reciprocity for the credits earned.

ABQConvict
Just thinking ahead ... my son is only three!

Old 11-07-2008, 01:09 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,236 times
Yes... it's in the SE, but the SE can not be judged simply on this one neighborhood's existence.

Ridgecrest in in the SE, but it's no War Zone.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:28 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
For a pretty decent accounting of what the war zone actually encompasses, try wikimapia.com.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:40 PM

66 posts, read 175,737 times
Okay all this SE, West, North of so and so has my head spinning, I know nothing of New Mexico at all and have no idea how to begin looking into those areas. We are supposed to give this job our answer by Monday, if we wish to relocate there and I have not heard or seen anything great about albuquerque. Does anyone have zip codes of the nicer and safer areas of albuquerque? What I have been reading, honestly scares me, but if it is a nice place I would like to hear about it. I don't want this chance to pass us by just by others who don't like the place (there is bad everywhere) What do they have there for children 16 and 11? What is the plus side to albuquerque?

here we have:

Williamsburg
Kings Domion
Busch Gardens
Water Country
Jamestown settlement
Yorktown battlefields
Va Beach ( several beachs)

Last edited by JstmeinVA; 11-09-2008 at 05:03 PM..

Old 11-09-2008, 05:53 PM

Aquarium/Zoo
Bosque
Skiiing
4-Seasons
Great Food
Hiking/Biking

Old 11-09-2008, 05:54 PM

Albuquerque is a wonderful place! I dream everyday about moving back (hopefully December)!

Better zip codes include 87111, 87109... others will post more.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:29 PM

522 posts, read 1,610,466 times
I moved out of Albuquerque 4 years ago and my memory for zip codes is not so good. Albuquerque is divided as follows: Northeast Heights, Southeast Heights, west side, north valley, and south valley.The northeast heights has good and bad areas but the far northeast heights (La Cueva school district) has virtually no bad areas and La Cueva is rated the best school district.

The war zone is known for drugs - not really violence.

There are areas in the southeast heights (where the base is) that are good. Ridgecrest and 4 Hills are subdivisions that come to mind.

The west side is the newer side of the city so the homes are newer and also more affordable. I don't know about the schools. The commute from the west side is pretty easy since they redid the Big I interchange.

I lived in Alb. for 13 years and during that time I lived in the far northeast heights, northeast heights and the west side. I prefer the far northeast but if price is a concern I would recommend the west side - Taylor Ranch and Paradise Hills areas are very nice.

Alb has high crime for a city of its size. That's just a reality and while there is more crime in the war zone area and also the South Valley (gee I know this must be confusing - sorry) you aren't really safe anywhere. I grew up in St. Louis and lived there when it was the crime capital of the nation and it's still pretty high crime. But the crime there for the most parts occurs in certain areas. In Albuquerque its everywhere. I saw a road rage incident in the far northeast heights in the middle of the day and one of the men in the car drew his gun. (Most people are armed there)

Having said that, for whatever reason Albuquerque doesn't FEEL unsafe like the unsafe parts of major cities do.

It's a friendly place with great food, charming culture, friendly people. There is plenty of outdoor stuff to do if you're into that -skiing, river rafting, hiking, etc. It is also very beautiful - the Sandia mountains which surround the city are spectacular (they have pink and purple colors - very unique) and the sunsets are amazing (with the exception of Key West, Florida's sunsets pale in comparison.

Many people love it there - especially those that grew up there. I'll get a lot of nasty replies for this (I did before) but the area is mostly Hispanic and while they are friendly they never really accept "Anglos" completely. There is some sort of trust issue involved. It's also very backward there in my opinion so if you're used to living in a big city that could bother you. It is not the intellectual capital of the country.

If your husband has been offered a good job there in this economy I would say go for it. You don't have to live there forever and for 5 years or so I think you will enjoy it.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:37 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Aquarium/Zoo
Bosque
Skiiing
4-Seasons
Great Food
Hiking/Biking
Balloon Fiesta
Explora museum
Lots of sunshine
less traffic
slower pace
No need to wear pantyhose and lipstick - heck, the governor wears jeans and facial hair to work.
fewer Northeasterners (I'm a native of the northeast so this is in jest, but you will notice a difference in attitude - the first month I lived in ABQ I could not for the life of me understand why everyone was being so NICE - the cashiers would tell me to have a nice day, etc...the first time I moved here I moved here from Boston - not the friendliest city - everyone there is in a huge hurry - people here are much nicer)

And oh, I think 87109, 87111, 87123 (four hills and the tramway foothills near I40), are good. I forget what other zip codes there are since I live out in the country now. There are definitely more good ones. Rio Rancho is a haul from the base, but lots of people do it, and I think its 87124.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:46 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Add:

Museum of Natural History
the loop of Angel Fire, Eagle Nest, Red River (is it called the Enchanted Circle)
Your kids might like ITZ
Petroglyphs
Santa Rosa Lake State Park and City Park (in the summer for swimming etc...)
Rybert mentioned skiing - in the winter Sandia Peak is accessible by the tramway from the city side or driving up N14 to NM536. Santa Fe is only about an hour or so - definitely a day trip - I did it many times.
The biking - in the summer, Sandia ski area opens the chair lifts and you can ride them up and bike down, or bike on trails at the base or up at the top.
Year round golfing, pretty much.
I feel like I am forgetting some attractions in ABQ.

Oh, here's another - do your kids ride dirtbikes (eg motocross)? That is kind of popular too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque