Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,934 times

Advertisements

I live in New England and am thinking about moving out west this spring. Someone suggested Albuquerque, and I've never been there before so I'd like to get a better idea of the city and what it's like. Basically I'd like to know why you like living in Albuquerque and what your favorite parts of living there are. -how safe is the city? being a single young lady this is something that I am concerned about.-what are the biggest businesses in the area?-whats the nightlife like?-I like to be active outdoors. do a lot of people bike and hike, and how does the heat effect these activities?-anything else you think i should knowThanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,624 times
I think a few people are going to tell you to use the search feature. But, I will give you a quick reply.

how safe is the city? That all depends on where you are - some places you are as safe as the NH Mountains ( I'm guessing) Other places - don't go out at night.

Biggest businesses? : Sandia Labs, Intel, UNM

Nightlife? : Very tame

Do a lot of people bike/hike? : Yes

How does the heat effect this? : Drink lots of water and it won't

Old 12-03-2009, 10:15 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
We moved here from Maine a year and half ago. Love it here.

I feel very safe in ABQ. Never felt safe driving through Brockton, Mass, even in broad daylight, if that tells you anything.
Like any city, there are areas to avoid.

Nightlife, I'm older so its not important to me. But its there.

The heat here is dry, which makes it nice. But you do have to make sure you are well hydrated as you don't notice you're sweating. If you are hiking and biking, make sure you have plenty of water with you. Sunscreen is a must.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:41 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,236 times
Very dangerous. Enter at your own risk.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009...9_Rank_Rev.pdf

Old 12-04-2009, 12:11 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes
I think a few people are going to tell you to use the search feature.
ONLY the JERKS do that sort of thing.

1st:
I usually answer specific questions, but prefer it
if the poster does a search on questions like:

-o- why you like living in Albuquerque
-o- favorite parts of living there
-o- how safe is the city?
-o- biggest businesses in the area?-
-o- whats the nightlife like?-
-o- do a lot of people bike and hike,

Answers to these questions have been posted many
many
times and can be found using the search function.

-o- anything else you think i should know
... how to use the search function.
... how to use line breaks ( it really makes things easier to read )

Last edited by mortimer; 12-04-2009 at 12:48 PM..

Old 12-05-2009, 03:39 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
Hi,
We don't live in Albuquerque yet but we're planning to move there in the spring for a number of reasons;

- Easy access to outdoor activities like climbing, skiing, and hiking in the Sandias and Sangre de Cristo Mtns.
- A vibrant cultural scene with a good variety of art and music
- Tons of good restaurants, especially around the downtown/UNM area
- A laid back, friendly atmosphere
- A good integrative/alternative therapy community
- A nice mix of cultures
- An active local population - you always see people running, walking, biking, etc.
- Affordable housing and overall low cost of living...farmers markets
- Its not full of intolerant bible thumpers - more of a live and let live atmosphere in ABQ
- The healthiest economy in the mountain west outside of a few places in Utah.
- Four distinct seasons and the summers aren't too hot (esp compared to the rest of AZ and NM).
- Did I mention the beautiful Sandias and all of the stuff you can do up in them?
- Two ski areas within a one hour drive...several more within a two hour drive.
- Incredible sunsets...
- The balloon fiesta
- Plus, my wife is an ABQ native so we already know lots of folks there

Having lived all over the southwest, there is always a special vibe in Albuquerque. Its much cleaner and has better infrastructure than Phoenix, Tucson, or El Paso/Las Cruces. The east mountains have a very Flagstaff/Prescott feel to them but are far less expensive.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:38 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Hi,
We don't live in Albuquerque yet but we're planning to move there in the spring for a number of reasons;

- Easy access to outdoor activities like climbing, skiing, and hiking in the Sandias and Sangre de Cristo Mtns.
- A vibrant cultural scene with a good variety of art and music
- Tons of good restaurants, especially around the downtown/UNM area
- A laid back, friendly atmosphere
- A good integrative/alternative therapy community
- A nice mix of cultures
- An active local population - you always see people running, walking, biking, etc.
- Affordable housing and overall low cost of living...farmers markets
- Its not full of intolerant bible thumpers - more of a live and let live atmosphere in ABQ
- The healthiest economy in the mountain west outside of a few places in Utah.
- Four distinct seasons and the summers aren't too hot (esp compared to the rest of AZ and NM).
- Did I mention the beautiful Sandias and all of the stuff you can do up in them?
- Two ski areas within a one hour drive...several more within a two hour drive.
- Incredible sunsets...
- The balloon fiesta
- Plus, my wife is an ABQ native so we already know lots of folks there

Having lived all over the southwest, there is always a special vibe in Albuquerque. Its much cleaner and has better infrastructure than Phoenix, Tucson, or El Paso/Las Cruces. The east mountains have a very Flagstaff/Prescott feel to them but are far less expensive.

Hope this helps.

what is a therapy community?

Old 12-06-2009, 12:31 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
integrative/alternative therpy community means naturopaths, massage, yoga, reiki, herbology, etc.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:14 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
integrative/alternative therpy community means naturopaths, massage, yoga, reiki, herbology, etc.

are you speaking english? are those some type of lotions or chemicals or something? I like yoga when Im sick, it goes good with a banana but you got to stir it to get the fruit at the bottom.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:09 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
are you speaking english? are those some type of lotions or chemicals or something? I like yoga when Im sick, it goes good with a banana but you got to stir it to get the fruit at the bottom.

LOL!!

Tried to rep yah, but I couldn't...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque