Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:37 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times

Advertisements

Come on, you guys don't know what a "massage" is? They are great!

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-07-2009 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:40 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Hi,
We don't live in Albuquerque yet but we're planning to move there in the spring for a number of reasons;

- Easy access to outdoor activities like climbing, skiing, and hiking in the Sandias and Sangre de Cristo Mtns.
- A vibrant cultural scene with a good variety of art and music
- Tons of good restaurants, especially around the downtown/UNM area
- A laid back, friendly atmosphere
- A good integrative/alternative therapy community
- A nice mix of cultures
- An active local population - you always see people running, walking, biking, etc.
- Affordable housing and overall low cost of living...farmers markets
- Its not full of intolerant bible thumpers - more of a live and let live atmosphere in ABQ
- The healthiest economy in the mountain west outside of a few places in Utah.
- Four distinct seasons and the summers aren't too hot (esp compared to the rest of AZ and NM).
- Did I mention the beautiful Sandias and all of the stuff you can do up in them?
- Two ski areas within a one hour drive...several more within a two hour drive.
- Incredible sunsets...
- The balloon fiesta
- Plus, my wife is an ABQ native so we already know lots of folks there

Having lived all over the southwest, there is always a special vibe in Albuquerque. Its much cleaner and has better infrastructure than Phoenix, Tucson, or El Paso/Las Cruces. The east mountains have a very Flagstaff/Prescott feel to them but are far less expensive.

Hope this helps.
Don't know how nhmountaingirl felt about your post, but as someone else considering ABQ, I found it very helpful. Guess I can take AZ off my list of possible places, lol.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:53 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Come on, you guys don't know what a "massage" is? They are great!

Rich

I wouldnt know, I dont get those

Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
are you speaking english? are those some type of lotions or chemicals or something? I like yoga when Im sick, it goes good with a banana but you got to stir it to get the fruit at the bottom.
I'm shocked that you eat that hippie food.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I'm shocked that you eat that hippie food.

is yogurt really hippie food? Oh well, its good when I cant get anything else down.

and speaking of hippies, whats with the whole organic craze and vests, why do they wear vests ,dont they want to keep their arms warm too.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:31 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
In College we practiced herbology, then if she liked the herbs, massage therapy and then we would eat-AND LOTS organic, yogurt, hippie food- in college it's whatever is in the cupboard or frig.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:34 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
^^^ we must have the same alma mater; at least we had the same curriculum!

ABQConvict

Old 12-10-2009, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 5,045 times
nhmountaingirl,
i moved here as a single girl in her 20s - that was eleven years ago. i like abq OK, but i am looking to move. we have been a victim of mild crime a few times, and both of my next-door neighbors have had their house broken into - and i think i live in a fairly decent neighborhood (hoffmantown). i now have 2 kids, and am not crazy about the idea of raising them in NM. but as a single girl, i was happy living here. as the statistics show, the crime is unfortunately high.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:55 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecobelle View Post
nhmountaingirl,
i moved here as a single girl in her 20s - that was eleven years ago. i like abq OK, but i am looking to move. we have been a victim of mild crime a few times, and both of my next-door neighbors have had their house broken into - and i think i live in a fairly decent neighborhood (hoffmantown). i now have 2 kids, and am not crazy about the idea of raising them in NM. but as a single girl, i was happy living here. as the statistics show, the crime is unfortunately high.
Could you elaborate a bit on what you mean when you said you've been a victim of "mild crime"? I'm a single guy, no kids, but nevertheless crime is something I take into consideration when I'm looking at areas that I might want to move to.

I'm aware that ABQ doesn't have the best reputation as far as crime goes. It didn't do well in that area in the latest Places Rated Almanac, and it came in as #8 on last year's Forbes list of car theft hot-spots, with 6,182 vehicles being stolen (730.81 per 100,000 residents). Even if you don't have your own car stolen or vandalized, this will drive up your car insurance premiums if you live in that area.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:23 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
manyroads, the vehicles you own and your driving record is going to affect your cost of auto insurance much more directly. We moved here 11 years ago, and our cost of auto insurance is still less in absolute dollars than we paid in Michigan 11 years ago (with newer cars).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque