Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:24 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,996,205 times

Advertisements

So i want to know for you Newer Albuquerqueans since you have moved here, how do you like it?
Explain in many ways Ex: Culture, People, Etc.., and of course what don't you like about the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 09:57 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,372,558 times
Does Rio Rancho count? We love it here. So much to see and do.
We've found the people to be very friendly and welcoming. The culture is awesome. I am in awe of everything and learn new things every day. I am not a city perso, but I do not feel like I am in a city.
I've yet to find anything I don't like.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:57 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,982,014 times
Just look at some of my comments in other ABQ forums. They sum up what I don't like as far as a 'different' demeanor and more aggressive traffic. Despite what could be construed from that, I love it like where I'm from. Plenty of outdoors and plenty to do in the city, but not too many people. You'll get a load of those affections from many posters. MANY great restaurants. Flying Star and Weck's should be first on your brunch list. They actually touch on what I miss about the friendly service and full plates of "Lumberjack" restaurants in the Great Northwest.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:19 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,629,763 times
LOVE:

Weather
People
Traffic
Cuisine
Variety of cultures
History
Weather (it's worth mentioning twice!)

DISLIKE:

Technology infrastructure (lack of, actually)
Pollen

Old 09-25-2008, 10:46 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,372,558 times
How could I forget the weather? LOVE the weather!!!

Old 09-26-2008, 06:23 PM

332 posts, read 1,121,256 times
I love the weather. Also, the mountain views that potentially take your breath away every time you look. I could look at the mountains all day and never get tired of it. I love green chile, and just the cuisine in general. Everyone I've encountered so far is friendly, although I haven't yet managed to make any friends, if that makes sense. That isn't a dislike, though - we've been in town about 6 weeks, and haven't settled into the place we're actually going to live, so we're not trying really hard with the neighbors yet.

I love the ease of getting to really interesting places. The Petroglyphs, the BioPark and museums here in town, Taos, the pueblos. And also the easy access - I'm from NY, and sure, there are a ton of museums, but they are crowded and after fighting the subway, sometimes you'd just rather stay home.

There's not much I don't like. Very broadly, I've run into a few people who are a bit too vegan & pushy about it, and on the flip side there seems to be a poorer, rougher under-culture that I've seen snatches of, but I work with at-risk kids, so that's to be expected. Day to day, it's great here!

Old 09-27-2008, 10:45 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,405,603 times
I'm not a newcomer, but I was once.

Just thought I should say that I am in the minority here. Hate the weather. Too sunny, not enough rain, big trees, moss, snow, wildlife. The desert, while not a wasteland as many outsiders incorrctly assume, is sterile compared to what I grew up with.

But there are a lot of other things that keep me here. Good friends, the culture, and escapes to the mountains which provide what I miss living in the desert. And when it does rain in the desert... There's nothing like it.

ABQConvict

Old 09-27-2008, 11:47 AM

74 posts, read 200,162 times
i just moved here two weeks ago and am in love with this city!
the mountains are constantly taking my breath away. especially during sunrise and sunset!
the weather is perfect!!
the people are very genuine and so friendly. i was afraid that i would be snubbed for being a new comer or whatever but nope...
the traffic isnt all that bad at all...even if it is congested it still moves. unlike cali where your at a standstill for a long time.
i think the only thing i dont like so far is that the drivers are aggressive. they like to weave in and out between lanes. i think they forget they have blinkers =)

all in all. pros vs. cons. the pros win out by far!

Old 09-27-2008, 02:28 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,227,406 times
Good to hear you are enjoying ABQ!

You'll be a real Burqueno (or should I say Burquena?) in no time!

Old 09-28-2008, 06:31 PM

1,568 posts, read 4,429,406 times
I moved to the Albuquerque area from northern California 5 years ago and have been impressed with the following:

* Relatively few "attitudes"
* Delicious eats
* Awesome views
* Reasonable traffic
* Lots of mom 'n pop places (as opposed to chains)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque