Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 11:50 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

Relax, buddies!

Saying Albuquerque is green is like saying Florida has deserts because the beaches are sandy.

There is plenty to be admired here without trying to prove how green it is. That said, I enjoy what green we have after the winter.

ABQConvict
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 12:53 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,153 times
It wasn't the green statement (a neutral discussion there), but the tone set by the "buddy" remark is what brought me to a boil.

But yeah, I'm simmering down, especially since it occurred to me that I probably am in this exchange with a teenager. We all know the "if it looks and smells like _________, it probably is __________" cliche. That makes me feel rather embarrassed... and dirty, although his parents should be embarrassed as well.

For an adult to talk like a condescending, spoiled brat would be intolerable and I'm glad to put those people in their place with a nice "reflection" of themselves, but I have plenty of snide, unapologetic banter in my own teen years (some of which obviously stuck), so I can't expect much different from other humans. For an adult who acts like that, the best of 'em would blow him off and the rest of 'em (like me, admittedly) would throw it back in his face. Altogether, though, that differing age match-up in this type of argument is just wrong unless I'm a figure who is responsible for him.

So, bradly, if you are a teenager, sorry for being so hard on you. I lost my cool and came down quite the substantial level. Enjoy the contradictory-but-somehow-still-possible "firey apathy" of youth... I know I did.

If you aren't a teenager... uh yeah... read between the lines, "buddy", and you'll know what you should probably do.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:00 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
Dude get over it, Its a thread for people that move here and like it..
anyways..

Old 10-03-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Dude get over it, Its a thread for people that move here and like it..
anyways..
There we go... "dude" works for me. And makes me think my guilty intuitive revelation is probably correct.

Sorry to be so hard on ya, dude.

No hard feelings?

Old 10-03-2008, 01:15 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
Sorry my New Mexican grammar didnt work so great on someone from Idaho.. but when i say buddy i mostly never mean it in a bad way..

So how bout ALBUQUERQUE..

Old 10-03-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Sorry my New Mexican grammar didnt work so great on someone from Idaho.. but when i say buddy i mostly never mean it in a bad way..

So how bout ALBUQUERQUE..
Thanks. I was already letting you off the hook as my own over-reaction began to slowly occur to me, but I appreciate that clarification of intent, which was what I was after all along despite my brash means of seeking it. These forums can get some bullies, and I've never exactly been a verbal pacifist in the face of harrassment, if you will, especially if someone tries to back out without taking what they dish out. I'm over that now, though, as this all was just my misunderstanding putting you on the defensive, and then my perpetual over-reaction to my misinterpretation of that.

I have had some adjustment issues with ABQ (you can find them in my other posts), but it's started to grow on me, actually quite a bit in just the past month. Really, ABQ and Boise have a lot of endearing qualities in common. The proximity to wilderness is my favorite part. I'd probably go stark raving mad if I had to live in some ultra-urban places this country has to offer, though South Beach, NYC, SanFran, Seattle, and Chicago are great places to visit in their respective seasonal/event primes.

ABQ has a wealth of great restaurants, too, and maintains the same quaintness-despite-big-city vibe I loved in Boise. The abundance of bike paths is nothing short of awesome!

Of course, the main reason I'm here. The pay and job market in this area trumps Boise by a long shot. The cost of living is even lower, and that's a rare thing for a higher paying locale. Worked out quite well for me, I must say. Idaho was just my stomping grounds most of my life and where many of my long-time friends live, so it is to me what ABQ is to you... pretty tough to leave. So pardon the cliche city comparison trend in my post. I know as a Boisean who got the exhaustive "But in California..." lecture that those comparisons get pretty old to a person who loves an area just the way it is.

I am finally starting to feel like an ABQ local, though. That sort of thing always takes time, and luckily I know that better than some people I see on these city-data forums. I've got a lot of exploring to do (hence not knowing there were hills on the NW side of town), but I'm in the groove now with the differing traffic and interactive style. Really loving the weather now that the nights are cooling down and the monsoons have let up and allowed for lighter hiking.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:27 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Relax, buddies!

Saying Albuquerque is green is like saying Florida has deserts because the beaches are sandy.

There is plenty to be admired here without trying to prove how green it is. That said, I enjoy what green we have after the winter.

ABQConvict
x2

Old 10-03-2008, 02:57 PM

On that color note, I've actually watched Sandia through the Spring and Fall, and it has some predominant rocky cliffs that would make it look brown at a glance; however, the green in the Spring and the red and yellow of the scrub oaks and aspens in the fall is quite noticeable when you really stop and observe the mountain, or immerse yourself with a hike. Those colors really complement its unique grade and structure.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
I'd probably go stark raving mad if I had to live in some ultra-urban places this country has to offer, though South Beach, NYC, SanFran, Seattle, and Chicago are great places to visit in their respective seasonal/event primes.
OK, it is not Albuquerque but I had to point out that even a megalopolis like NYC has places to get away to. This is about 30 miles from NYC as the crow flies. And it is pretty green ;-)

Of course we're talking about Albuquerque so here is a picture of my weeding project. Note the flourishing goathead crop 8-O

ABQConvict

Old 10-03-2008, 04:05 PM

Nice pics, and I wouldn't have guessed that would be the condition within 30 mi of NYC. Of course, as a prior Northwesterner, Seattle and Portland are a good demonstration of urban areas that manage to also be extremely green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque