Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 07:13 PM

416 posts, read 1,399,588 times

Advertisements

I'm also in RR and absolutely LOVE New Mexico! I don't regret any of our decision to up and leave Northern, VA (DC Metro)!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 09:10 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Any former Phoenix resident who could compare the two cities? Weather (temperature) seems much niced in ABQ area. I really like the sun but the hellish Summer months in Phoenix area got to me after 2 years and I am thinking of relocating somewhere else. Denver and Albuquerque are two on top of my list.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:33 AM

429 posts, read 1,477,651 times
We have been here a little over two weeks and love it - although we haven't been able to stop and take it all in since we moved (but now last the POD has been unpacked, and the camper is in the driveway ready to be packed with groceries so we are close to 'relaxing now').

Weather - the weather is amazing! We spent 15 years in the Pacific NW and the sunshine is terrific! It's weird to see your yard in the sunshine but know you don't have to mow it RIGHT NOW - as the sun will be shining tomorrow! We spent every rare, sunny day in Seattle-area mowing or weeding or planting...
People - very friendly
Traffic - Yeah, crazy-a$$ drivers but at least it MOVES!
Culture - LOVE the mix of cultures
History - Amazing

No regrets on moving.

Our con -
BUGS - more bugs & creepy crawlies than we had in the PNW. Specifically - the centipedes.

Last edited by WasSoggyInSeattle; 09-29-2008 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Forgot my one con

Old 09-29-2008, 12:52 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy22 View Post
i just moved here two weeks ago and am in love with this city!
the mountains are constantly taking my breath away. especially during sunrise and sunset!
the weather is perfect!!
the people are very genuine and so friendly. i was afraid that i would be snubbed for being a new comer or whatever but nope...
the traffic isnt all that bad at all...even if it is congested it still moves. unlike cali where your at a standstill for a long time.
i think the only thing i dont like so far is that the drivers are aggressive. they like to weave in and out between lanes. i think they forget they have blinkers =)

all in all. pros vs. cons. the pros win out by far!
I agree with this 100%. With your clarification, I guess I can concede with you that the traffic here isn't an actual problem like in a lot of US urban areas. It does keep moving, after all (unless there's a wreck). I'm just relatively spoiled coming from Boise, ID, where going with the flow and extending common courtesies is the norm instead of the exception. I'm getting used to it in my seventh month here, but when I first got here the all-too-often berzerk and oblivious drivers made me a nervous wreck. Of course, ABQ is better than that stretch of 599 from Espanola/Los Alamos to Santa Fe. During my stint in Los Alamos, the stretch to Santa Fe had me getting my affairs in order (like a soldier off to war) every weekend that I decided to get a life and commute to an area where they don't roll up the sidewalks on evenings/weekends. I swear every time I'd find at least one driver who had forgotten his/her own mortality and had flagrant disregard for anyone else's.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:49 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,901 times
Aghhh Boise is sooo GREEN.. but as a native albuquerquean i have gotten used to the BROWN baby!.. well ABQ isnt that brown, but then again look where i live in the middle of the Ventana West Desert..haha (aka Desert Sprawl Country)

Old 09-30-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Aghhh Boise is sooo GREEN.. but as a native albuquerquean i have gotten used to the BROWN baby!.. well ABQ isnt that brown, but then again look where i live in the middle of the Ventana West Desert..haha (aka Desert Sprawl Country)
LOL... it is the "City of Trees" and aptly named. Your comment is ironic, though, because most "driveby" tourists bemoan the brown of Boise's desert. Altogether, I never had much of an adjustment period to ABQ's landscape. I do find the pinon and juniper to be more aesthetically pleasing than the sage of the Inland Northwest. Boise definitely has its share of "desert sprawl country", too.

Green, brown, white, blue, red, yellow, and any various mixtures/consistencies suit me just fine.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:23 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,901 times
Everytime someone says Albuquerque is Brown and ugly i show them this picture.. to actually show them how green this city really is...

Old 09-30-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Everytime someone says Albuquerque is Brown and ugly i show them this picture.. to actually show them how green this city really is...
Like Boise, ABQ is a high desert river oasis at the base of mountains that get ample snowfall and produce summer monsoons. Nice view in that pic, too. Really cool if that was done with a natural cloud filter in the foreground. Is that from those vulcans I hear about from locals recommending a brief hike with a rewarding view? I have yet to explore several areas west of I-25, but have heard that will provide some great shots of downtown, especially if you catch the evening or overcast light just right.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:19 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
That looks like it's from Paradis Hills or Taylor Ranch.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
That looks like it's from Paradis Hills or Taylor Ranch.
Hmmm... I'll have to get over there. I didn't know the elevation went up enough for that kind of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque