Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:32 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,728,017 times

Advertisements

What is there to do in Ventana Ranch?

Let me count 'em...

1. Grill out and relax / socialize in your backyard patio...

Albuquerque metro has some of the absolute best year-round 4-season weather to be found in the entire US...how better to enjoy literally 12 months of ideal grilling out conditions (for the evening April through October and for the afternoon November through March) than to do it? Plus...you have the perfect sights in the world....

2. Get up at ~6am-ish or be out at sunset...and watch the breathtaking sunrises over the Sandia Mountains of the equally breathtaking sunsets over your shoulder (western edges of the horizon).

Albuqueruqe metro - like much of the Great American Southwest - has some of the most regular and spectacular sunrises and sunsets in the United States. Enjoy the heck out of it!!! Get out there on a crisp, chilly fall or spring AM at 6am (where the temps will be in the low 50s...only to pave way for an afternoon near 80) and enjoy an aromically amazing pinon coffee and watch the golden hues of sun rise above the mighty Sandias. Or, hang out on a sizzling desert summer night with a high of 102 at your house that has "cooled off" to 87 at time of sunset...and watch three-jillion colors of sunset emit themselves all over the western desert sky (an ice cold Mexican cerveza lends itself well with this endeavor...w/lime of course).

3. Drive 20 minutes to the Sandia Mountains and walk / hike / bike / run in spectacular settings. Not only is it great / healthy / vigorous exercise, but it is also just emotionally powerful stuff. Can do this in much less than 20 minutes too...in a couple of minutes with the beautiful Petroglyphs in your backyard, or, in 5 or 8 minutes to the bosque along the mighty Rio Grande.

4. Go tanning in your backyard. With over 310+ days of 5000-foot altitude annually - and annual mild year-round temps - it can't be easier to get a nice tan anywhere. Just use common sense and precaution (skin cancer is an issue here).

5. Stop at one of the 3-jillion amazing New Mexican and Mexican restaurants within a 15 minute driving radius. Eat rellenos, breakfast burritos, or chicken enchiladas...do what you will...but make sure to have gobs of chile, wash it down with a heavily refreshing cold cerveza or two, and throw down some delightfully hot sopapillas with honey. You'll eat like a king and never be happier.

6. Plant a fruit tree (apricots, pears, Georgia peaches, nectarines, bing cherries, etc.) - ABQ, as a solid 7 gardening zone, is ideal for superb fruit growing (outside of citrus); not only will you reap some amazing (and delicious) fruit crops in the summer time to eat and enjoy, but you'll get amazing and beautiful and aroma-inducing buds in the late-February through late-March timeframe.

In that same light...plant some cacti. This is the desert after all, and several kinds of cacti (and yucca)...neat and specific / diverse plants to the US Southwest largely...throw 'em in the ground and be proud of living in the unique desert.

7. Play golf.

Did I mention ABQ's unbelievably nice 12-month year round climate? VR is near some very nice golf courses, and unlike in many parts of the nation, you can golf in the area literally 12 months of the year outside of some freak cold days. Drive the 2 or 5 miles with clubs in tow, and you'll be enjoying golfing in November or February when shmucks like me are stuck indoors keeping warm.

8. Star gaze.

The VR portion of ABQ has some of the most vivid, bright, vast, open, and amazing nighttime skies of any portion of any major city in the US. Just sit out at night - if it is a cool night fire up your chimenea with pinon wood burning - and gaze up at the massive New Mexican sky.

9. Day trip up to Santa Fe.

You are what, a 45 minute very scenic drive away from one of the main tourist destinations in the United States? Take advantage! Enjoy the sights of the drive! Enjoy the history! Enjoy the amazing wealth of culinary diversity and quality! Enjoy the architecture! Enjoy the world-famous Plaza. Enjoy the beauty. Enjoy the cooler summer temps and the snowier winter temps.

10. Day trip to many places (Santa Fe, Taos...even sometimes the Sandias, etc.) to ski.

Many world class skiing mountains / facilities nearby (2 hours or less) to VR that can be enjoyed in the winters.

11. Watch the hot air balloons overhead...especially in the fall!!

ABQ is world recognized for its gorgeous hot air balloon displays every year...much of the year. However, fall is especially prime time - especially with the early October balloon fiesta....and you can't get a much better prime spot than VR. Even if you don't think hot air balloons are all that exciting...you will after a year or two in ABQ. What a fun time of year.

12. Go the 20 minute drive to an Albuquerque Isotopes (Triple A baseball club - top club to the Florida Marlins) game and their world class minor league ballpark with dirt cheap ticket prices / the world famous Pit for UNM basketball / University Stadium for UNM football........or.......do a 8 minute drive to the new, sparkling arena in Rio Rancho to watch minor league hockey: the NM Scorpions.

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:15 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,228,935 times
You suck.

Houston is killing my inner child.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:42 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,197,845 times
While EnjoyEP makes a powerful argument, I might point out that most of those are options pretty much anywhere in Bernalillo county, including in a tent out in the weeds.

Google maps rates the quickest trip from Ventana Ranch to Tramway (Sandia Mtns) at 32 minutes.
Ventana Ranch to Isotopes Park at 28 minutes.
Ventana Ranch to Santa Fe, 57-69 minutes, depending on where.

I think it's being optimistic, particularly during morning rush.

Basically, your options, like much of Albuquerque, are:
1) Enjoy being at home
2) Drive somewhere

Old 08-27-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I might point out that most of those are options pretty much anywhere in Bernalillo county, including in a tent out in the weeds.
Agreed.

>That is one of the great things about ABQ - that its size (only 500K residents and a metro of only 850K) makes it much, much more manageable than the big colossus cities of 2, 3, 4 million metros. No matter where you are, everything is pretty doable.

>Furthermore, due to ABQ's ideal altitude / latitude and longitude / proximity to mountains, etc., its natural best virtues (300+ days of sunshine per year, year-round mild temperatures, very little rain or snow, crystal clear blue skies, very low humidities, etc.), there is so much to do that involves absolutely no charge or money and can be done in your backyard (or in that aforementioned tent in the weeds!). People in ABQ oft do not realize or recognize what a blessing this is.

One can build neat restaurants or stores anywhere. What you *can't* get everywhere is ABQ's pristine outdoor conditions year-round.

Quote:
Google maps rates the quickest trip from Ventana Ranch to Tramway (Sandia Mtns) at 32 minutes.
Ventana Ranch to Isotopes Park at 28 minutes.
Ventana Ranch to Santa Fe, 57-69 minutes, depending on where.
I won't severely argue the discrepancies in time between my off-the-head driving times and the Google maps ones for the Sandias (I said 20, they say 32...32 seems a little slow for me for sure. In fact, I would argue that after second thought!)...or Isotopes Park (I said 20 and they say 28...sure).

As for Santa Fe, I would severely dispute that. I did the ABQ - SF drive an insane amount of times for work, and especially up from VR, there is no way on most days it would take longer than 45 minutes. That is with going a consistent 80 mph (5 miles per hour over the posted 75) in the right hand lane.

If they are approximating over an hour to Santa Fe from Ventana Ranch, I am assuming they are anticipating someone riding a burro.

Quote:
Basically, your options, like much of Albuquerque, are:
1) Enjoy being at home
2) Drive somewhere
To a certain extent though, I think that this is the case in most every other city in the US.

I know people on the CD Forums really often love the whole dense, urban "walkable" thing...and if that is one's strong preference, than sure, moving to Ventana Ranch would be a mistake.

But the tradeoff is then that in VR, you'll have space / yards to spread out and do yard-type things, more sizable living conditions, quieter, more peaceful and less congested surroundings...etc. Instead of concrete one has a yard / garden. Instead of street bustle one has a quiet and dark nighttime neighborhood.

It is all a tradeoff, but one so far from exclusive to ABQ...in fact, the common tradeoff in nearly all cities. I realize that many east coast cities seem to be more "dense" and built up rather than out...but also the stress levels amongst the populations on the east coast are generally the highest in the US (people on top of one another).

I think the good thing about VR (or other fairly typically residential areas in ABQ) is that instead of being a 45 minute drive from many things (or greater), one is largely generally 15 to 20 minutes tops.

Also, with ABQ's pristine year-round climate, one has the option to bike / walk / run / motorbike to places like you don't have the option of in so many other towns.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:16 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,197,845 times
I suppose what I disagree most with is the emphasis on the VR yard.

I'd guess, based on what I saw, your typical VR house is built on a 1/4 acre lot or less.

While much of newer Albuquerque has similar or even smaller sized lots, a comparably-priced home to a VR home can be had, in town, for a similar price, with a bigger yard, and far closer to employment, shopping, and entertainment.

If you want grass, you can get it. Just not in VR (except for tiny patches). I think a grass yard can be a hassle, but if you have kids, do you want them playing on cactus, concrete, and gravel, or grass?

Old 08-27-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I suppose what I disagree most with is the emphasis on the VR yard.

I'd guess, based on what I saw, your typical VR house is built on a 1/4 acre lot or less.

While much of newer Albuquerque has similar or even smaller sized lots, a comparably-priced home to a VR home can be had, in town, for a similar price, with a bigger yard, and far closer to employment, shopping, and entertainment.

If you want grass, you can get it. Just not in VR (except for tiny patches). I think a grass yard can be a hassle, but if you have kids, do you want them playing on cactus, concrete, and gravel, or grass?
I guess I wouldn't horribly disagree with your reasoning, here, Zoidberg.

I know the house I owned in the NE Heights (older adobe, 1250 square feet), had a fairly large backyard, at least by city lot standards, with grass (front was xeriscaping), and indeed, it was quite a bonus. Plus, of course I preferred the NE Heights over Ventana Ranch overall due to close proximities to things.

However, I think largely things that need to be done could be done in fairly small lott'd backyard in Ventana (things like grilling/bbq'ing, sunning and relaxing, socializing, planting some stuff, etc.). Thus, with the somewhat affordable nature of fairly new, fairly maintenance-free homes with nice, family-oriented safe and quiet surroundings, a smaller lot may not be *that* big of a deal.

Overall though surely I would agree that if you could get more space in a yard, it is ideal.

As for kids on grass or not, agreed that for kids playing grass is ideal. However, the two caveats (with someone with young kids who play a lot):

1) Still better to do the gravel/cactus thing that to be in a super cramped area with NO backyard...but moreover...

2) VR has many parks in walking distance. So moms and dads can get out, walk a block or two (or less), and have lots of grassy areas to run around on and play on.

But I do agree...bigger lots for backyards are ideal, especially for families with young children.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:29 PM

811 posts, read 2,943,516 times
Heres a couple of photos of Ventana Ranch.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:52 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,662,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post

Let me count 'em...

Albuquerque metro has some of the absolute best year-round 4-season weather to be found in the entire US...how better to enjoy literally 12 months of ideal grilling out conditions (for the evening April through October and for the afternoon November through March) than to do it? Plus...you have the perfect sights in the world....

2. Get up at ~6am-ish or be out at sunset...and watch the breathtaking sunrises over the Sandia Mountains of the equally breathtaking sunsets over your shoulder (western edges of the horizon).

Albuqueruqe metro - like much of the Great American Southwest - has some of the most regular and spectacular sunrises and sunsets in the United States. Enjoy the heck out of it!!! Get out there on a crisp, chilly fall or spring AM at 6am (where the temps will be in the low 50s...only to pave way for an afternoon near 80) and enjoy an aromically amazing pinon coffee and watch the golden hues of sun rise above the mighty Sandias. Or, hang out on a sizzling desert summer night with a high of 102 at your house that has "cooled off" to 87 at time of sunset...and watch three-jillion colors of sunset emit themselves all over the western desert sky (an ice cold Mexican cerveza lends itself well with this endeavor...w/lime of course).

3. Drive 20 minutes to the Sandia Mountains and walk / hike / bike / run in spectacular settings. Not only is it great / healthy / vigorous exercise, but it is also just emotionally powerful stuff. Can do this in much less than 20 minutes too...in a couple of minutes with the beautiful Petroglyphs in your backyard, or, in 5 or 8 minutes to the bosque along the mighty Rio Grande.

4. Go tanning in your backyard. With over 310+ days of 5000-foot altitude annually - and annual mild year-round temps - it can't be easier to get a nice tan anywhere. Just use common sense and precaution (skin cancer is an issue here).

5. Stop at one of the 3-jillion amazing New Mexican and Mexican restaurants within a 15 minute driving radius. Eat rellenos, breakfast burritos, or chicken enchiladas...do what you will...but make sure to have gobs of chile, wash it down with a heavily refreshing cold cerveza or two, and throw down some delightfully hot sopapillas with honey. You'll eat like a king and never be happier.

6. Plant a fruit tree (apricots, pears, Georgia peaches, nectarines, bing cherries, etc.) - ABQ, as a solid 7 gardening zone, is ideal for superb fruit growing (outside of citrus); not only will you reap some amazing (and delicious) fruit crops in the summer time to eat and enjoy, but you'll get amazing and beautiful and aroma-inducing buds in the late-February through late-March timeframe.

In that same light...plant some cacti. This is the desert after all, and several kinds of cacti (and yucca)...neat and specific / diverse plants to the US Southwest largely...throw 'em in the ground and be proud of living in the unique desert.

7. Play golf.

Did I mention ABQ's unbelievably nice 12-month year round climate? VR is near some very nice golf courses, and unlike in many parts of the nation, you can golf in the area literally 12 months of the year outside of some freak cold days. Drive the 2 or 5 miles with clubs in tow, and you'll be enjoying golfing in November or February when shmucks like me are stuck indoors keeping warm.

8. Star gaze.

The VR portion of ABQ has some of the most vivid, bright, vast, open, and amazing nighttime skies of any portion of any major city in the US. Just sit out at night - if it is a cool night fire up your chimenea with pinon wood burning - and gaze up at the massive New Mexican sky.

You are what, a 45 minute very scenic drive away from one of the main tourist destinations in the United States? Take advantage! Enjoy the sights of the drive! Enjoy the history! Enjoy the amazing wealth of culinary diversity and quality! Enjoy the architecture! Enjoy the world-famous Plaza. Enjoy the beauty. Enjoy the cooler summer temps and the snowier winter temps.

10. Day trip to many places (Santa Fe, Taos...even sometimes the Sandias, etc.) to ski.

Many world class skiing mountains / facilities nearby (2 hours or less) to VR that can be enjoyed in the winters.

ABQ is world recognized for its gorgeous hot air balloon displays every year...much of the year. However, fall is especially prime time - especially with the early October balloon fiesta....and you can't get a much better prime spot than VR. Even if you don't think hot air balloons are all that exciting...you will after a year or two in ABQ. What a fun time of year.

12. Go the 20 minute drive to an Albuquerque Isotopes (Triple A baseball club - top club to the Florida Marlins) game and their world class minor league ballpark with dirt cheap ticket prices / the world famous Pit for UNM basketball / University Stadium for UNM football........or.......do a 8 minute drive to the new, sparkling arena in Rio Rancho to watch minor league hockey: the NM Scorpions.

Great post as always EnjoyEP !!! You are my favorite Albuquerque poster on City Data as no one even comes close to you bud .

Old 09-02-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Great post as always EnjoyEP !!! You are my favorite Albuquerque poster on City Data as no one even comes close to you bud .
Thanks man!! And you, my favorite expert on the Southern NM / Las Cruces / El Paso area!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 04:25 PM

710 posts, read 2,964,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post

Let me count 'em...

7. Play golf.

8. Star gaze.

You are really missing ABQ aren't you? Hurry back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque