Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 11:37 AM

13 posts, read 46,300 times

Advertisements

Hi! I've read several of the threads and have not seen my question addressed, so here goes.... DH is being transferred to ABQ sometime early 2009. We have a house to sell in our currentl location and will be looking to purchase once there. However, we would really like to do what we did when we first moved cold turkey to the Kansas City area. We rented and got to know different areas before we purchased a home. We have already done some house hunting there (we spent a week in ABQ in July) and have a fair idea where we want to be. But, if there is not a home available right away to our satisfaction we will want to rent.

Finally to the question, how can we find something that will give us a short term lease (i.e. 3-6 months) Are there property management companies that handle such rentals? We also have a dog and 2 cats to add to the difficulty mix. If a home that we really like comes available 2 months into our move there we will want to purchase. The other thought is, if we do like something well enough it will be worth it to bite the bullet and pay any penalties for breaking our lease. (would rather not do that, but...)

So any thoughts on this, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

BTW we LOVED your city during our visit and look very forward to making it our new home.

~Marie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 12:06 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times
Default Maybe this will help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marieab View Post
Hi! I've read several of the threads and have not seen my question addressed, so here goes....
~Marie
We're in exactly the same boat but with only one cat. We've been using several sources to look.

I primarily scanned with Google using several search criteria loosely based around "Albuquerque" and "furnished rental" (our furniture is being shipped from Central America) with fairly good results, but we're having difficulty finding what we need (3-4 month furnished) in the specific time frame we need because of the impact of the Balloon Festival and the hordes of people it draws in.

Here are a couple sites to search through..

Albuquerque Free Classifieds | OLX

Vacation Rentals, Vacation Homes, Vacation Rental Home, HomeAway

..VRBO® is Vacation Rentals by Owner® Vacation Homes Rentals by Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link)

craigslist: albuquerque classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Albuquerque Apartments for rent Albuquerque apartment rentals, Albuquerque furnished apartments to rent.

Move.com

Vacation Rentals - Vacation Rentals by Owner - CyberRentals

ABQjournal | The Albuquerque Journal Online v2 tab Albuquerque and New Mexico State and Local News, Sports, Weather and Jobs, Cars, Real Estate and Classified Advertising

Some specific short-term apartment rentals (never seen any of them so these are NOT recommendations, just referrrals)

Temporary Furnished Apartments, Corporate Apartments, Serviced Apartments and Extended Stay Housing

Southwest Suites | Albuquerque New Mexico Corporate Rentals | Albuquerque Extended Stay

Albuquerque New Mexico Apartments - Home - Academy Terrace Apartments

We've had a real problem getting information from individuals or agents renting houses. It's like pulling teeth to get anything beyond ("It's nice. When do you want it". ) so we're close to just writing off even bothering to look at any more individually advertised month-to-month or short-term rentals.

No matter how specific you are, no one ever seems to actually read and comprehend what you ask.

"Do you allow small pets?" Response ("It's a nice house")
"Great, but do you allow small pets?" Response (It's a nice house").

"Is there off-street parking?" Response ("It's a nice house")

yada-yada-yada... you get the message.

So we're probably going to go with Oakwood or someone similar because we can at least get basic info from them. And we are not trying to low-ball rental prices, either. You'd think that if someone is trying to rent a place for a couple thousand a month, they'd at least respond with basic information.. oh well..

Good luck!!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:11 PM

416 posts, read 1,399,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marieab View Post
Hi! I've read several of the threads and have not seen my question addressed, so here goes.... DH is being transferred to ABQ sometime early 2009. We have a house to sell in our currentl location and will be looking to purchase once there. However, we would really like to do what we did when we first moved cold turkey to the Kansas City area. We rented and got to know different areas before we purchased a home. We have already done some house hunting there (we spent a week in ABQ in July) and have a fair idea where we want to be. But, if there is not a home available right away to our satisfaction we will want to rent.

Finally to the question, how can we find something that will give us a short term lease (i.e. 3-6 months) Are there property management companies that handle such rentals? We also have a dog and 2 cats to add to the difficulty mix. If a home that we really like comes available 2 months into our move there we will want to purchase. The other thought is, if we do like something well enough it will be worth it to bite the bullet and pay any penalties for breaking our lease. (would rather not do that, but...)

So any thoughts on this, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

BTW we LOVED your city during our visit and look very forward to making it our new home.

~Marie
Try Tsyon Properties and ask for Vivian Wisemann. She's wonderful!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:36 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Also try the NM Apartment Association as they may help.

** Apartment Association Of New Mexico (http://www.aanm.org/contactus.aspx - broken link)

Old 08-16-2008, 10:19 AM

141 posts, read 466,947 times
Try craigslist under housing and "sublets/temporary" like Mike suggested. Lots of time people are looking to rent out their house/apartment for the remainder of their lease because they might be moving, etc. But I wouldn't be surprised if you get the kind of responses like he said. It'd be better to come down here, rent a cheap hotel for a few nights while you look at some temporary houses/apartments rather than trying to get an answer over the phone/internet on the condition of a place. Good luck!

Old 08-16-2008, 05:23 PM

332 posts, read 1,120,091 times
Southwest Suites is nice, but very expensive. We are using it for about a month while our house closes and to make some renovations while we move in. If we had to stay longer, no way could we afford it. As it is, we rolled it in to our moving expenses. It just seemed easier because it is corporate run, no mucking around, and allows small pets. The apartments are fully furnished, dishes and everything, and all of the complexes we visited seemed safe and well run. Our unit has a balcony, there's a little plastic table and chair set out there, very thoughtful. But it's running us close to $2k for the month (includes utilities, internet and cable).

Old 12-29-2008, 11:36 PM

10 posts, read 29,828 times
Default ABQ - short term furnished housing

One would think in a time when Realtors are not selling as many houses that they would be doing everything they could to help you in anyway they can to earn your future business..........but we get lazy and still want quick sales and like sleeping in. Such is life!
Vacation homes during off seasons can be negotiated fairly well. Be sure to check their calendar and if they are booked then don't bother calling. If they don't have any bookings for the month then negotiate the house for the price of your hotel for the month. You may get a hot tub, BBQ, fully furnished kithen, privacy and much more. The money you save from eating out will almost pay for half of the rental. I own two large houses (3000 s/f) and if I am vacant (Jan, Feb, Mar) I will book'em cheap just to pay the mortgage payment. I can't help in your situation as mine are to big but there are many smaller less expensive houses that have vacancy. Try VRBO.com. If you run across the Pool House or the Game Room House that's me.
Also find a personable Realtor who is willing to take the time to help you for no $ but a hope that when your house sells you will buy from him/her. It is good to have someone who really knows the town to help you from afar and can advise you on the best areas and make contact locally so when you do come in town your time is well spent.
Good luck, Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque