Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:32 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,733,749 times

Advertisements

Saw this last night on public TV. What a wonderful program. If you haven't already seen it, I highly recommend it for anyone interested in Albuquerque and New Mexico in general.

The Sandias | KNME Production
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 10:58 AM

1,763 posts, read 6,001,792 times
Yes, I saw some of that program and it was quite good! My one observation about the Sandias is that after 2 yrs in Albuq, I can finally gaze at the mountain and accept that I'm looking east, vs. west.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:13 PM

382 posts, read 1,228,347 times
Default Sandia pictures...

M-O-O-N, that spells East.

Today's quiz, name the author and book that I paraphrased this saying from.

Last edited by trappedinNM; 10-05-2008 at 08:59 PM..

Old 04-11-2008, 08:14 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,626,038 times
I like how the Sandias' personality changes. Has anyone seen it from the angle where it looks like a mountain lion?

Old 04-11-2008, 10:32 PM

908 posts, read 2,855,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
M-O-O-N, that spells East.

Today's quiz, name the author and book that I paraphrased this saying from.
I gotta believe it's Stephan King's THE STAND, although, to be honest, I can't remember when Tom Cullen said that particular combination. It's been awhile but I distinctly remember him spelling a slew of words with the combination M-O-O-N ie:

"M-O-O-N that spells Tom Cullen"

or

"M-O-O-N that spells hobby"

or

"M-O-O-N that spells relocating to Albuquerque"

OK, I made up the last one. I was just trying to keep it topical to the thread.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:50 AM

382 posts, read 1,228,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
I gotta believe it's Stephan King's THE STAND, although, to be honest, I can't remember when Tom Cullen said that particular combination. It's been awhile but I distinctly remember him spelling a slew of words with the combination M-O-O-N ie:

"M-O-O-N that spells Tom Cullen"

or

"M-O-O-N that spells hobby"

or

"M-O-O-N that spells relocating to Albuquerque"

OK, I made up the last one. I was just trying to keep it topical to the thread.
We have a winner!

Old 04-12-2008, 12:33 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,395,081 times
Hmmm. I didn't think too much of the show.

They spent too much time on the lights which, at the time, got under my skin. They could have spent more time talking about the various eco-zones, geology, etc which is what make the Sandias interesting. The bits about the local culture on the east side was pretty good, though.

All in all it seemed more like a bit of Chamber of Commerce boosterism than a documentary on a mountain range. Plus they they should have hired a professional for the voiceover which was awful and gave the whole thing an amateurish feel. That show will never be syndicated for PBS stations in other states.

As someone who has developed a fairly intimate relationship with that mountain over the last 20 years, I hardly recognized it.

ABQConvict

Old 04-12-2008, 01:09 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,093,181 times
ABQConvict countered:

> They really spent too much time on the lights ...
> ... could have spent more time talking about the various eco-zones, geology, etc ...
> The bits about the local culture on the east side was pretty good, though.

That sums up my take on it. I kept the recording and would play it for non-locals.

I'm glad they made the show, but it had about 1/2 hour of good content in it.
----------------------------
Actually, they could do a special on the Sandias and Manzanos. Although the geologic forces that created these ranges extends all the way into Mexico, the Sandias and Manzanos can be considered twins, whilst the ranges off to the South simply don't have the necessary elevation to support much in the way of Aspen and fir forests.
----------------------------
The Manzanos, for those who don't know, are almost twice the extent of the Sandias, but have less acreage in the top climatic zone since the peaks of the Manzanos are more comparable to the South Peak of the Sandias.

From the bare top of Manzano Crest at 10.098 ft, you can see the Capitans in Lincoln County and Sierra Blanca.

Hiking there, you are far more likely to see wildlife.

ABQConvict: Ever been on any of these trails?

West side: Comanche Canyon
.............. Trigo Springs
.............. Salas Canyon

East side: 4th of July
.............. Bosque Canyon
.............. Spruce Springs
.............. Red Canyon
.............. Ox Canyon
.............. Cottonwood/Kayser Mill

I haven't been on any of these for ten years due to living out of state.

My #1 goal this year is to get on Salas trail again before the year is out. I was on there last in 1988 and it was really fantastic, but just didn't get around to doing it again.

I hear that JFK Campground is now just JFK trailhead due to bad elements from Meadow Lake. I *do* worry about going out on the trail for eight hours and returning to a trashed-out automobile.

Trigo and Salas trail pass through some of the largest milky quartz veins that I have ever seen anywhere. You can see these from I-25 if you know where to look as light 'stripes' on the mountains.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:00 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,395,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
ABQConvict: Ever been on any of these trails?

West side: Comanche Canyon
.............. Trigo Springs
.............. Salas Canyon
Only Trigo. I avoid the West side for the reason you mentioned. I had a really sketchy experience with some locals out there. It is a shame because the lower parts of those canyons are so nice.

Quote:
East side: 4th of July
.............. Bosque Canyon
.............. Spruce Springs
.............. Red Canyon

4th of July is where I take out-of-staters. The hike to the crest right below Mosca Peak is really easy and offers nice views. Unfortunately, the last time I was up there, the meadow looked like it was trashed by equestrians. Spruce/Red is a great loop and the meadows at the top of Spruce make a great campsite. Also, if you take the short jaunt down to the spring you can put your beers in there to cool off.

Quote:
.............. Ox Canyon
.............. Cottonwood/Kayser Mill

I've only been up the Kayser Mill trail once but I have to say the 270-degree view from Manzano peak is a spectacular and gives a different perspective (south) than most views in the central ranges. I'd love to make it back there this summer.

ABQConvict

Old 04-12-2008, 09:08 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,723,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
after 2 yrs in Albuq, I can finally gaze at the mountain and accept that I'm looking east, vs. west.
It is funny that goofy internal compasses we-non-natives have, isn't it TR? For whatever reason, for much of my time in ABQ, whenever I saw the Sandias or was driving towards them, etc., it FELT like I was going north (and the West Mesa was south), etc. Don't know why that was...but it felt like it for the longest time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque