Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 02:52 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,353 times

Advertisements

We took a walk from Copper yesterday into the foothills. It was a nice walk, except I had grit between my teeth when we were done. Sometimes being in the foothills reminds me of being at the beach in Pensacola. We used to go to the National Seashore and hike among the dunes. Although Pensacola is extremely humid, the barrier islands more resemble a desert. They are made completely of sand. It is always windy, and always end up with a good bit of sand stuck between your teeth. When you go home, you are sunburned and windburned, with more sand in your hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 02:15 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
Default Trigo fire

ABQConvict was there before:

> Only Trigo. I avoid the West side ...
> the lower parts of those canyons are so nice.

For those that haven't been following the news too closely, there is a fire that started out as a relatively inaccessible 30-acre fire, went to over 100-acres the next day and has now leaped the crest and is about to cause damage in the town of Manzano. Mountainaire is probably OK, but Tajique and Torreon are likely victims.

Note that Google street views feature this area so you can see it as it is (for now).

The first picture is the "best" if you are not loaded with time. It shows the bit on the West side and the massive plume of smoke over the East turning day into night out in Estancia.
Trigo Fire, Manzano Mts., NM on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kit_z/2429948062/in/pool-newmexico - broken link)
Trigo Fire on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7262667@N06/2418044938/in/pool-albuquerque - broken link)
Trigo Fire Nearly Triples In Size - Albuquerque News Story - KOAT Albuquerque (http://www.koat.com/news/15939499/detail.html - broken link)
Trigo fire grows to 800 acres - Albuquerque - MSNBC.com (broken link)
InciWeb: Trigo Fire Wildland Fire
KRQE - Albuquerque, New Mexico - News, Video, Weather Forecast, Sports, Community, Health, Homes | KBIM - KREZ | Trigo Fire threatens electronic structures

There are some awesome stands of ponderosa and aspen trees up there. Hopefully, the high winds we are having that are preventing the use and/or effective use of air tankers will spare much of the ponderosa. The aspen treed can burn to the ground, but the roots will survive and make that area a wonder for leaf-peepers 4-5 years from now.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:27 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
As I recall, most of the forest up there is pretty mature. Hopefully this will protect the major Ponderosa stands and burn out the scrub oak.

God, I'm such a pollyanna!

ABQConvict

Old 04-23-2008, 03:46 PM

53 posts, read 162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Yafter 2 yrs in Albuq, I can finally gaze at the mountain and accept that I'm looking east, vs. west.
Hmmm.... I've been in Albuquerque about 18 years. Back in NY the mountains were to the north. It took me about ten years to adjust to the mountains being to the east.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:22 PM

ABQConvict admits:

> ... forest ... mature. Hopefully this will protect the major Ponderosa ...

Ponderosa are quite fire-resistant. So are the Douglas Fir nearer the top. I'm not sure how old they have to be to resist such a fast-moving fire. I guess we'll see soon enough.

> ... burn out the scrub oak.
> God, I'm such a pollyanna!

A really mature stand of scrub oak can be picturesque, but those little 4-6-footers are a pain on those south-facing slopes in the Sandias.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:54 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,143 times
Even the Gambel Oak are kind of scrubby, although there is supposedly a variety of it that grows straight and tall. I just really wish the Sandias had more Arizona White Oak, of the 30-40 ft. variety - they're just really cool trees [having said that, I am fully prepared to lectured by Mortimer on why they aren't found in the Sandias ].

Old 04-29-2008, 02:21 PM

Tim Rankin sometimes boggles my brain:

> ... supposedly a variety of it that grows straight and tall.

I have never seen that (but that doesn't mean they aren't there).

> ... wish the Sandias had more Arizona White Oak,
> fully prepared to lectured by Mortimer on why they aren't found in the Sandias ...

No clue here. You must have me confused with some other Snerd.

My Field Guide says there are Gambel, Wavyleaf, Gray, and Shrub Live - Oak(s).

Old 04-29-2008, 08:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Even the Gambel Oak are kind of scrubby, although there is supposedly a variety of it that grows straight and tall. I just really wish the Sandias had more Arizona White Oak, of the 30-40 ft. variety - they're just really cool trees [having said that, I am fully prepared to lectured by Mortimer on why they aren't found in the Sandias ].
The west facing canyons of the San Mateos, south of Rt. 60, have some stands of Oak that are like regular trees. At least 50 ft. tall with 2ft. trunk diameters. The only place in NM I know of with trees like that. You need 4-wheel drive (or at least a lot of clearance) to get back there though.

ABQConvict

Old 04-30-2008, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 14,785 times
Sorry about the misspelling of the Sandias. I just got back from a trip to the camp in Sandia Park that I am going to buy. At first the brownness of the hills shocked me (coming from Florida and all) but I started reading about the history and the geology of the Sandias, not to mention the history of its people and I began to settle down and become enthusiastic. I stayed at the Route 66 Hostel, by the way. What a trippie place! Interesting people, free food (yes, that's the way they bill it), clean surroundings.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:17 AM

775 posts, read 2,587,926 times
Default East Side of the Mountains

Capilla Peak on the east side is an interesting a Scary Ride for some because the Road is so Narrow and you pray that no one is coming from the Opposite Direction. Sometimes you can drive all the way to the Top and look down on the Clouds. Red Canyon Trail is my favorite to look for Herbs like Mint and Osha and when you get to the Aspens you can see the Bear Scratch marks on the Trees. CAUTION Bears are hungry and dont get between them and their Cubs also if they come at you Drop your Back Pack or shirt and walk away slowly. NEVER Eat a Hamburger and Fries right before a Hike because you will Smell Like a Human Cheeseburger and Attract BEARs and other Wild Animals. Bosque Trail has an airplane or two that crashed up there years ago Theres also a cave i wanted to explore but didnt have a Flashlight. Ive driven over 2 million miles of N.M. Highways and Back Roads and love exploring places few people get to see. At the moment there is 5000 acre fire in the Manzanos and about a dozen homes have burned and some people have been Evacuated around Torreon, Tajique and other areas the fire started on the West Side but came over the Mountains to the East Side. pintada kid at webtv dot net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque