Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2008, 10:25 AM

14 posts, read 56,125 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting the city soon, and would like to know if there's public transport generally close to Petroglyph park or Sandia Peak Tramway. If not, can taxis go there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 10:52 AM

286 posts, read 1,322,930 times
Smile Visiting Petroglyths and the Sandias

Hi, TravillionRex,

You'll love visiting both spots. However, they are on the extreme opposite sides of the city from each other. ABQ does have public transit, but to really see the city, I recommend renting a car for your stay. It's easy to get around - as other posters to this site will tell you, the city is a big grid, literally divided by I-25 and I-40 into 4 quadrants.
Enjoy your visit!

Old 02-02-2008, 11:30 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,383,124 times
Rent a car like NM Mom suggests.

A taxi to either place will cost an arm and a leg and there is certainly no bus near the tram. I don't think there is a bus stop near the petroglyph park either, though I could be wrong on that.

ABQConvict

Old 02-02-2008, 11:46 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,089,324 times
ABQConvict confirmed:

> A taxi to either place will cost an arm and a leg ...

I would guess that it is about $30 from ABQ to the Tram.

> ... there is certainly no bus near the tram.

The closest approach leaves you with about a 3.5 mile walk.

Weekday Routes - City of Albuquerque - ABQ RIDE

> ... don't think there is a bus stop near the petroglyph park
> either, though I could be wrong on that.

Surprisingly, there is a route up Unser that takes you by Petroglyph park (Rincenada Canyon), and the Visitor center, but a car is better.

Petroglyph National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

For the price of a one-day rental, you can pay for the taxi from Petroglyph Monument to the Tram and back to Old Town or wherever you are staying.

You have the additional benefit of not having to wait for the taxi to be dispatched and are not tied to the bus schedule.

However, we don't know the specifics of TravillionRex's situation. Perhaps they cannot drive a car or are too young to rent a car. So maybe a bus to the Monument and a taxi to the Tram will work just fine.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:18 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,622,662 times
Both areas have bike paths - is there somewhere in ABQ where you can rent a bike for the day? The buses are equipped with bike racks, and that might be an option if driving isn't. There's a transit center of sorts at Montgomery & Tramway, that might be close enough to bike the rest of the way to the tram.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:59 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,089,324 times
yukon wonders:

> ... is there somewhere in ABQ where you can rent a bike for the day?

I found three places using Yahoo! Yellow Pages and "bike rental." I've noticed some of the shops in the UNM area that have signs saying that they provided this service.

> Montgomery & Tramway, that might be close enough to bike the rest of the way to the tram.

It would be a very pleasant and easy ride to the Tram from there on a wide and nice trail that goes from the Tram (road) to I-40 with many many above-grade crossings of Tramway. The bridge at Candelaria puts you on another trail that goes to Winrock.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:52 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,383,124 times
If you plan to bike to the Tram, just keep in mind that the road from Tramway to the base of the Tram is quite steep for about a mile or so.

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque