Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2019, 05:16 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,785,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That was over 29 years ago... You don't think that times may have changed somewhat?
My impression is that they have not changed much. I have asked my sisters and nephews about it. My nephews said they heard it was worse when I was growing up, but then the things they discuss about what goes on there now, it doesn't seem any better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Are there some that don't make the news and I haven't heard about...? Maybe there is a limited number, but if they were happening now as much as you claim, the media would have heard about it and it would be front page news.
No it wouldn't. It was never front page news (for reasons I explained in last post.) The brother of one of my friends had the tip of his finger chopped off in Bernalillo about 20 years ago, in a fight that occurred when he was jumped by cholos, one of whom had a machete. That story was never reported in any media.
If you want to know the real story of what happens, talk to people who currently go to high school there. They'll tell you what goes on, they won't sugar coat it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
I get it that the ABQ area was a different place when you were growing up, but you don't seem to want to believe this. Crime everywhere is way down from where it used to be, including ABQ.
If anything, property crime seems like it's way worse now than when I was growing up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 12:07 PM

520 posts, read 612,028 times
I wouldn't discourage anyone from visiting ABQ, but the crime rate is a real problem. Comparing cities isn't as useful as looking at metro crime rates, because city boundaries are artificial. In many places (St. Louis and Detroit are good examples) the central city may be dangerous, but most people live in suburbs with much lower crime rates. ABQ has large borders and includes suburban areas within city limits, yet still has a high crime rate. As a metro, ABQ has the fourth highest violent crime rate (after Memphis, Anchorage, and Farmington): https://www.statista.com/statistics/...nt-crime-rate/ It has the highest property crime rate: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ty-crime-rate/ Granted, crimes are reported differently by jurisdiction and these statistics aren't gospel. But they aren't a good sign either. I do think there are some concerted efforts to reduce crime underway and hope they bear fruit.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:09 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
My impression is that they have not changed much. I have asked my sisters and nephews about it. My nephews said they heard it was worse when I was growing up, but then the things they discuss about what goes on there now, it doesn't seem any better.

No it wouldn't. It was never front page news (for reasons I explained in last post.) The brother of one of my friends had the tip of his finger chopped off in Bernalillo about 20 years ago, in a fight that occurred when he was jumped by cholos, one of whom had a machete. That story was never reported in any media.
If you want to know the real story of what happens, talk to people who currently go to high school there. They'll tell you what goes on, they won't sugar coat it.

If anything, property crime seems like it's way worse now than when I was growing up there.
I know you're not really a fan of data, but for those who are here is a chart of property crime since 1985.

As you can see, the property crime rate is close to the 80's, but a bit lower.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:18 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
I wouldn't discourage anyone from visiting ABQ, but the crime rate is a real problem. Comparing cities isn't as useful as looking at metro crime rates, because city boundaries are artificial. In many places (St. Louis and Detroit are good examples) the central city may be dangerous, but most people live in suburbs with much lower crime rates. ABQ has large borders and includes suburban areas within city limits, yet still has a high crime rate. As a metro, ABQ has the fourth highest violent crime rate (after Memphis, Anchorage, and Farmington): https://www.statista.com/statistics/...nt-crime-rate/ It has the highest property crime rate: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ty-crime-rate/ Granted, crimes are reported differently by jurisdiction and these statistics aren't gospel. But they aren't a good sign either. I do think there are some concerted efforts to reduce crime underway and hope they bear fruit.
The FBI cautions against ranking areas based on reported crime rates.
https://ucr.fbi.gov/ucr-statistics-their-proper-use

If anyone is that freaked out they can live in Rio Rancho which has a crime rate much lower than the national average. You are highlighting a problem with the statistics that you admit, which is crime isn't evenly distributed within a city or a metropolitan area. Rio Rancho has lower crime than the highest crime area of any metropolitan area in the country.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:01 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,236,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
As a metro, ABQ has the fourth highest violent crime rate (after Memphis, Anchorage, and Farmington): https://www.statista.com/statistics/...nt-crime-rate/
As crazy as ABQ having the fourth highest violent crime rate is, just about the only thing crazier is that the third highest in the entire nation is Farmington. Not Detroit, Philly, Baltimore, NYC, LA.....nope. Farmington.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:04 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
I think most of the violent crime rate here is domestic violence, which is unfortunate for the victims but not something most residents or visitors worry about. I think when they read "violent crime" many people imagine random attacks in the street, but that's not accurate.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:31 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
As crazy as ABQ having the fourth highest violent crime rate is, just about the only thing crazier is that the third highest in the entire nation is Farmington. Not Detroit, Philly, Baltimore, NYC, LA.....nope. Farmington.
Not really crazy when you consider that Native communities suffer disproportionate poverty, homelessness, domestic violence, and substance abuse (a vicious cycle), which undoubtedly accounts for some of the elevated "violent crime" rates in Farmington (at the edge of the Navajo Reservation), Anchorage, and Albuquerque.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:51 PM

312 posts, read 277,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
I used to live in Gainesville, a lovely college town in North Florida. Several years there (in the '80s), it was Murder City USA, No. 1 with a bullet. Go figure.

Statistics are weird.

I lived for decades in L.A. and spent a lot of time out and about, including working downtown at night. While I never felt particularly at risk in L.A., I'm certain your average Joe or Jane is much safer in Albuquerque. Same goes for NYC, another place where I've spent significant time. The threat in the shadows is just not in the same league here unless your lifestyle provides random vectors.

Last edited by nazz; 01-28-2019 at 04:17 PM..

Old 01-29-2019, 01:25 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,939,624 times
https://www.krqe.com/news/crime/man-...ain/1736863485

Remember this guy?

What the hell is he doing out and about, to begin with? Is anyone surprised to see that he has been arrested again?

We have to do something about the moronically liberal criminal justice system here. Increasingly solidified Democratic control is just going to make things worse in that regard.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:53 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,785,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz View Post
Statistics are weird.
Statistics only give a part of the picture, and it's not always accurate from the persepctive of what matters to people. There is a poll that was conducted a few years ago nationwide which asked residents how safe they felt in their towns. It was divided up into many questions which were asked of tens of thousands of people around the country. The results were compiled and ranked. Interesting results.

Quote:
The threat in the shadows is just not in the same league here unless your lifestyle provides random vectors.
I disagree this this. Albuquerque is pretty damn shady. And I've got a substantial base of experience to compare it with. I've lived in various cities around the country, including Brooklyn NY before it got gentrified. I've got family in the Valle del Cauca region of Colombia which I go to usually once or twice a year, I used to have family in Mexico (they've since passed), and I've travelled quite a lot around the world - I've been in places that range from very safe to places that are very sketchy. Albuquerque ranks on the sketchy end of the scale to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque