Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 05:01 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Albuquerque GMA had 48 murders in 2018, with a GMA population of 1 million. Compare ABQ to Austin GMA, 2 million population had 32 murders.
No one is saying ABQ has less crime (or murders) than everywhere else . But ABQ isn't the worst, by far, of all other big cities in the US. The local media here is fixated on crime, so murders and other serious crimes get lots of air play. Some would say this is justified, since it might be helpful in getting "the powers that be" to really do something about dropping our crime levels. Others would say that the media is just going by the old adage, "if it bleeds, it leads," to get higher viewer/reader-ship levels.

Regardless, what started the latest exchange on this thread is the post that said, "...on the news every single day it is reported that someone has been murdered, and sometimes people in several locations in that city have been shot or stabbed in a single day." The first part of this quote (a murder every day) is absolutely not true; it's just the perception that poster has due to media reporting. The second part of the quote (several shootings or stabbings in a single day) happens very, very rarely. And the people involved in these incidents are almost never just travelers who visit ABQ and are involved in some sort of random crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 06:18 PM

53 posts, read 48,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
And the people involved in these incidents are almost never just travelers who visit ABQ and are involved in some sort of random crime.
Yep. I just spent the weekend in ABQ and was neither murdered nor murdered anyone.

My family plans on moving there in about 18 months and I am not scared. I grew up in the DC area and used to live in DC. I had two different cars stolen from two different locations. On occasion, I could hear gunshots coming from a different neighborhood. Yet, I never felt directly threatened. If you stay way from bad stuff, you are a lot less likely to be killed by it.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:05 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Often overlooked in Albuquerque is how low the random murder rate is.

Although they still happen here, most homicides involve police, domestic violence, child abuse, or drug deals gone bad.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:47 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
So, Albq ranks 20 in the entire country in a list that includes Detroit and St. Louis for violent crime and ranks 4 in the entire country for property crime, if you sort that link by Total Violent Crime and Total Property Crime. Out of a country of thousands of cities this is not exactly the type of statistics that make you feel safe or confident about a place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
The second part of the quote (several shootings or stabbings in a single day) happens very, very rarely.
Completely false, which you would know if you lived in the barrios. Sorry to burst people's bubbles but I'm going to give you an idea of how things really are. When I was growing up as a teenager in the South Valley in the 80s, I had a friend who lived on my block. Over the course of two years during our high school years, three of the many fights he was in resulted in him being stabbed. The first two of those were not reported to the police at all because they were only flesh wounds. The third one did involve the police because he was stabbed in the side and collapsed and had to go to the hospital. These were fights between him and local gang members (cholos) in the neighborhood. They didn't like him because he was from Mexico and hadn't grown up in my neighborhood.

That third stabbing case never got reported on the news or in any newspapers. Not suprising - those type of things that happened in my neighborhood almost never did. Like it or not, when these things involve Hispanics, Natives or Mexicans, the police and the media are generally uncaring. The police don't consider you as an innocent victim - they regard you as part of the problem.

I have given you just one example. I haven't gone into what happened to other people in my neighborhood, boyfriends of my sisters, different friends of mine, or even myself personally. I can tell you for a fact that stabbings and other violent assault happens with regularity in Albuquerque, in the town of Bernalillo, and different other places in NM.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:01 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
When I was growing up as a teenager in the South Valley in the 80s
That was over 29 years ago... You don't think that times may have changed somewhat?

I currently have known several families for the past 15+ years who have lived in the South Valley for years...

South Valley has a population of over 40,000.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:00 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,630 times
Quote:
I can tell you for a fact that stabbings and other violent assault happens with regularity in Albuquerque, in the town of Bernalillo, and different other places in NM.
I live in the town of Bernalillo, and can tell you for a fact that stabbings and other violent assaults are not happening with regularity here now.

Are there some that don't make the news and I haven't heard about...? Maybe there is a limited number, but if they were happening now as much as you claim, the media would have heard about it and it would be front page news.

In these days of social media, even unreported crime (to the police or the media) gets widely broadcast via facebook, twitter, etc. And then the media hears about it, cuz they've learned to pay attention to local social media for breaking news. And then everyone hears about it.

I get it that the ABQ area was a different place when you were growing up, but you don't seem to want to believe this. Crime everywhere is way down from where it used to be, including ABQ.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:14 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,049 times
Quote:
So, Albq ranks 20 in the entire country in a list that includes Detroit and St. Louis for violent crime and ranks 4 in the entire country for property crime, if you sort that link by Total Violent Crime and Total Property Crime. Out of a country of thousands of cities this is not exactly the type of statistics that make you feel safe or confident about a place.
The Wikipedia page doesn't include thousands of cities, it lincludes only cities with population > 250,000, which is less than 100.

Now we can look at ABQ homicide compared to some other places.

St. Louis homicide rate for the last 12 months (Nov 2017-Oct 2018) was 63.97.
Detroit homicide rate for the last 12 months was 38.17.

Albuquerque homicide rate was 17.2.

Other cities with a higher homicide rate:

Baltimore, Birmingham, New Orleans, Kansas City, Memphis, Batan Rouge, Las Vegas, Newark, Washington, Chicago, Philadelphia, Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Oakland.

If you want to look over a long timespan we can do that. For the period 2013-2017 there were 39 cities with a homicide rate higher than Albuquerque among the largest 100 cities. In order:

St. Louis, Baltimore, New Orleans, Detroit, Birmingham, Newark, Batan Rouge, Kansas City, Memphis, Cincinnati, Las Vegas, Oakland, Chicago, San Bernardino, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Washington, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Miami, Indianapolis, Tulsa, Cleveland, Rochester, Norfolk, Stockton, Orlando, Louisville/Jefferson County, Jacksonville, Ft. Wayne, Houston, Dallas, Durham, Greensboro, Oklahoma City, Nashville-Davidson, Toledo and Columbus.

https://www.americanviolence.org/tab...pan=last5Years

Old 01-23-2019, 12:35 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,234,050 times
Quote:
Regardless of what the pearl-clutching doom-and-gloomers say, or even what the head-in-the-sand defensive rose-colored-glasses homers say (and C-D has plenty on both sides of the spectrum), this is a legitimate concern and these numbers are legit. Mostly because on any list for this, Albuquerque being often smaller than most the other cities listed only spotlights this as a big issue.

4th in property crime in the entire US is abysmal, and there's no way to defend or sugarcoat it.
Crime in ABQ, and in NM in general, especially petty crime and things like being among the worst for uninsured motorists, etc (which is also a crime if ticketed), is all pretty bad here.
And no, I'm not picking on ABQ or NM. I'm a fan. But it goes way beyond just being careful and locking your doors and not being careless.

It ain't all about homicides. There's serious crime issues here, particularly the entry-level variety.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:35 PM

329 posts, read 512,190 times
I was at Walgreens off Coors the other day to buy some beer. While I was being rung up, a man walked in, took 2 bottles of tequila and a 12 pack of beer and walked out. The cashier said the guy comes in every week and does this. When I asked why they don't call the cops, the cashier shrugged and said it would take 45 minutes for them to arrive.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:03 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,852 times
Albuquerque in 2017 had its highest-ever number of murders at 75 and its homicide rate was still nowhere near cities like St. Louis, Baltimore, New Orleans, etc. The rate in 2017 was 13.43 murders per 100,000 people.

Albuquerque had 67 murders in 2018, which gives it a rate of 12 murders per 100,000 people.

Albuquerque's homicide rate in 2018 was lower than such booming cities as Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque