Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2019, 05:55 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
That is your personal anecdotal experience. But the crime statistics paint a very different picture, and there are many people in Albuquerque who do find it to be a problem.
People anywhere can find property crime to be a problem. It was a problem for me in Boston which has a lower crime rate because I lived in a marginal neighborhood. I maintain that crime stats do not really mean much to the average person. It has certainly never been a factor in any location I chose to live, nor has it been for the many people I've met over the last 30 years who've moved to ABQ from other places. So get over it. If you experience crime in your neighborhood that makes you uncomfortable, move to another neighborhood.

It is very patchy in Albuquerque. My former neighborhood in SE ABQ according to APD was one of the lowest-crime neighborhoods in the city, and it was a adjacent to one of the highest-crime neighborhoods. I lived there 20 years with no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 09:10 AM

54 posts, read 128,898 times
Default Perception vs. reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
People anywhere can find property crime to be a problem. It was a problem for me in Boston which has a lower crime rate because I lived in a marginal neighborhood. I maintain that crime stats do not really mean much to the average person. It has certainly never been a factor in any location I chose to live, nor has it been for the many people I've met over the last 30 years who've moved to ABQ from other places. So get over it. If you experience crime in your neighborhood that makes you uncomfortable, move to another neighborhood.

It is very patchy in Albuquerque. My former neighborhood in SE ABQ according to APD was one of the lowest-crime neighborhoods in the city, and it was a adjacent to one of the highest-crime neighborhoods. I lived there 20 years with no problems.
I've had very similar experiences living around the country.

Today's ABQ Journal has some interesting articles about property crime, and the vigilante actions that some take to get their revenge. They made mention of the part social media plays in spreading misinformation, and in the short time I've lived here I've seen it, both on facebook and that neighborhood site. Nobody fact checks what people post, and it leads to more distrust of the system (which admittedly still needs some work), and our city becoming more dangerous because of use of force by those with otherwise good intentions.

There's a wide gulf between protecting "stuff" and protecting your life. I for one am not willing to take a life because somebody wants my crappy old TV.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:50 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,785,938 times
Quote:
People anywhere can find property crime to be a problem.
Again, your attempt to equalize places with different amounts of crime and safety.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzLobster View Post
I've had very similar experiences living around the country.

Today's ABQ Journal has some interesting articles about property crime, and the vigilante actions that some take to get their revenge. They made mention of the part social media plays in spreading misinformation, and in the short time I've lived here I've seen it, both on facebook and that neighborhood site. Nobody fact checks what people post, and it leads to more distrust of the system (which admittedly still needs some work), and our city becoming more dangerous because of use of force by those with otherwise good intentions.

There's a wide gulf between protecting "stuff" and protecting your life. I for one am not willing to take a life because somebody wants my crappy old TV.
Thanks, I'll have to find that article. With all the hype about property crime here I guess I've been surprised that it hasn't happened to me, even the several times I left my garage door wide open at night (even when away for a weekend), or doors unlocked, and sliding glass doors open accidentally overnight that were accessible from the street. None of my stuff was touched even in SE Albuquerque. I think a large part of property crime and auto theft have to do with carelessness on the part of the victims (and which I'm guilty of). The number one piece of advice that APD gave on the news recently to avoid car theft was "lock your car." Seems the most common victims are people who don't even lock their car doors AND leave valuable stuff in sight. Inviting a thief. Another common mistake people make is leaving their car running in the driveway to "warm up." If more people took basic precautions the "property crime rate" would go way down.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Again, your attempt to equalize places with different amounts of crime and safety.
What I've tried to point out is that crime is very localized. It depends on how wide or narrow you want to draw your lines. Statistics go up and down, and change from the neighborhood level, to the city level, to the metropolitan level, to the state level, etc. What you make of it us up to you, but I see the root of the problem as part of a national epidemic of addiction, homelessness, and hopelessness that have been inadequately addressed in most places. Whether the degree of these problems is a little higher in some places than others doesn't really bother me, but I do want to see solutions. I think Albuquerque is making a lot of progress under the Keller administration.

A recent ranking of "best small cities" ranked Albuquerque no. 4. While maybe a few people might consider crime rankings, I think more should look at other factors which really define a place:

Albuquerque's "diverse cultures, authentic art and dynamic traditions" contributed to it being named one of the Best Small Cities in America.

Global consulting firm Resonance Consultancy released a list of the Best Large and Small Cities in America on Wednesday and found Albuquerque to be the No. 4 best small city. Resonance compared 23 factors across six key categories, using a combination of statistics and online ratings and reviews, according to a news release. A small city was defined as having a population from 200,000 to 1 million.

The key categories included place, product, programming, people, prosperity and promotion.

Albuquerque scored as a top five small city in the product (No. 2), programming (No. 4) and promotion (No. 5) categories. Honolulu claimed the top overall ranking as it graded first in each of those three categories in addition to the place category.

-Albuquerque Business First, June 7, 2019

Old 06-10-2019, 10:55 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Crime Mapping & Statistics
Information about Albuquerque crime mapping and statistics.
https://www.cabq.gov/police/crime-mapping-statistics

APD Crime Stats1stQuarter 2019
https://www.cabq.gov/police/document...arter-2019.pdf

Historic Crime Reduction
Robbery: 51% decrease since 2017
Auto Theft: 38% decrease since 2017
Auto Burglary: 45% decrease since 2017
The Report Continues... It is "The official website for the City of Albuquerque."

Old 06-10-2019, 11:04 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,785,938 times
Quote:
I see the root of the problem as part of a national epidemic of addiction, homelessness, and hopelessness that have been inadequately addressed in most places.
Finally we're getting to a common place we can agree upon. But I would add poverty and lack of job opportunities to this list, particularly in NM which is one of the poorest states in the country.

Quote:
Whether the degree of these problems is a little higher in some places than others
You're downplaying the problem that it's about twice as high in Albq compared to the national average.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:40 PM

60 posts, read 50,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
Albuquerque is not too bad,I have lived here for almost a year now and I have only had my car broken into once. In a couple small towns in New Mexico I have lived in I had several burglaries on my car and apartment.
Here is some news from Albq. I have found on the internet from tongihts broadcast------Man shot and killed near Old Town

Man shot and killed near Old Town
Last Update: 04/03/2006 1:15:49 PM
By: Reed Upton

A man who was apparently cleaning out the trunk of his car was shot and killed Sunday evening behind a drugstore near Rio Grande and Central.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Paul Astorga, the fugitive suspected of shooting and killing a Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Office deputy 12 days ago, was taken into custody early this morning in Juarez, Mexico.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
its not always like this, Albq has its days.
Once is too bad!

Old 06-10-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drleephd6530 View Post
Once is too bad!
You're commenting on an article from 2006.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
You're downplaying the problem that it's about twice as high in Albq compared to the national average.
That what's twice as high? I was talking about national problems like addiction and homelessness. From 2017 data the overdose death rate in NM was 24.8 while the national average was 21.7. Not "twice as high", not even close. The homelessness rate in NM in 2018 was 122 people per 100,000, ranking us 18th, while the rate in California was almost three times as high at 329, ranking it 4th. Once again you're exaggerating NM's problems. What is your motive for distorting the facts again and again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque