Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 02:15 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,796,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
My observation of Placitas is that it is clearly for the wealthy. Dh and I are retired military and federal government. I went in to visit with the local Placitas real estate office and he sniffed, "Our houses begin at $500,000" as he looked me up and down. Placitas is indeed "special" in their own little way. At the convenience store, you'll find newspapers from New York City and other large eastern cities. New Mexicans living there? I don't think so.
Not sure who you talked to but they, and you, are wrong.

I just did a quick review of MLS listings, and 44/111 of the listings were over $500K and the lowest price was $182K. I expect the $500K+ homes may sit a long while on the market, but there are a number of sales of homes priced lower than that.

As for New Mexicans living here, everyone who lives here is a New Mexican. In fact, many folks living here trace their New Mexican roots, if not their Placitas roots, back 300-400 years.

Last edited by jiminnm; 09-02-2011 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 PM

146 posts, read 325,854 times
Funny to see my thread resurrected. We ended up not moving to Placitas b/c the realtor told me there were a lot of snakes. That's all I needed to hear and we wiped to whole town out of consideration.

We drove through AZ last month and they have signs at rest stops warning visitors that there are poisonous snakes and insects. I "held it" for 600 miles.

There was something on craigs list I was interested in. The name of the road they lived on was Bullsnake something. I asked why it was named that and she said b/c they have a ton of them. I didn't go look at her item.

Yes, I am aware this is an unhealthy problem.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:52 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Swamp coolers are just fine. Don't let a realtor convince you that it is a deal breaker.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,676 times
Default Placitas. And snakes

Is it correct that there are a lot of snakes in Placitas?

Old 12-01-2011, 09:46 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleberd View Post
Is it correct that there are a lot of snakes in Placitas?
I would not consider that to be correct.

We have snakes throughout New Mexico. But not really that many. Placitas is pretty much desert-like. Not a lot of water, not a lot of vegetation.

I do not live in Placitas, have lived in the general area 12 years and have walked the areas pretty much every day. Have not seen many snakes.

Rich

Old 12-01-2011, 10:13 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I would not consider that to be correct.

We have snakes throughout New Mexico. But not really that many. Placitas is pretty much desert-like. Not a lot of water, not a lot of vegetation.

I do not live in Placitas, have lived in the general area 12 years and have walked the areas pretty much every day. Have not seen many snakes.

Rich
My golfing buddy lives in Placitas. Near the new Library. He has lived there for 4 years and encountered two rattlers since then. They are around but just like most animals they are more afraid of you then you are of them. Placitas does not have any more snakes than any other rural similar part of NM.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
My golfing buddy lives in Placitas. Near the new Library. He has lived there for 4 years and encountered two rattlers since then. They are around but just like most animals they are more afraid of you then you are of them. Placitas does not have any more snakes than any other rural similar part of NM.
They like Golfers....

Golfers create lush grass and nice ponds which attract Bunny Rabbits.... Rattlesnakes like rabbit meat.

Also Bobcats...

I think NMGuy can comment on the issue.

Rich

Old 12-01-2011, 11:44 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
They like Golfers....

Golfers create lush grass and nice ponds which attract Bunny Rabbits.... Rattlesnakes like rabbit meat.

Also Bobcats...

I think NMGuy can comment on the issue.

Rich

He doesn't live on a golf course. He has encountered the rattlers at his house.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:45 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
Of the several people I have known who live/lived in Placitas, there was one couple who did have a problem with not only snakes getting into the house, but also scorpions and other unwanted guests, and pack rats on their land. They spent a lot of money on exterminators and sealing possible points of entry but finally decided to move back to ABQ after a year of renting in Placitas. The exterminator believed that the snakes had been living inside the house for a long time which freaked them out especially since they have a cat. Others I've known in Placitas did not have this problem that I know of. I would be careful with houses that have been sitting vacant for some time.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:55 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,967 times
Most folks move to Placitas because of its natural setting. That means you'll see rabbits, coyotes, bobcats, squirrels, mice, rats, chipmunks, owls, hawks, crows, roadrunners, snakes, scorpions, centipedes, lizards, etc. The birds, coyotes, and bobcats feast on the smaller animals, which keeps the population in check.

Once I realized that the animals and critters were here long before me and that they weren't going away any time soon, I adapted and don't freak out any more. Below, is a pic of a visitor who stopped by our courtyard last week.

Last edited by nmguy; 12-01-2011 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque