Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 8,361 times

Advertisements

My wife, who is retired, and I purchased a lot in Placitas in September 2009. We hope to build there once we sell our home. As mid-westerners, we like the climate and the mountains of Placitas as well as the relative solitude. While being relatively isolated, we are very close to amenities, whether in Placitas itself or the short drive into Bernalillo and Albuquerque.

If you are careful where you buy, water need not be a concern, but be sure to ask questions about availability, reliability, contamination, etc. Select a good realtor (I can recommend one).

When I asked Placitas residents what they didn't like about living there, the almost-universal answer I received was "the wind in April." Most everyone was pleased to live there. A good number of residents have relocated there, and I have found them to be quite friendly.

If you want peaceful surroundings, gorgeous views, and a temperate climate with four seasons, you would be hard-pressed to do better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 03:40 PM

5,046 posts, read 7,430,564 times
Some reservations I'd have about Placitas (from the perspective of an Albuquerque resident): You will be very car-dependent. There is a convenience store or two but for most things you will have to drive down the hill to congested Bernalillo. The interchange at I-25 and 550/167 (which all Placitas traffic must go through) is due for an expansion. Placitas resembles a kind of hodge-podge of houses scattered around. I don't know about others, but I hate driving around and seeing houses plunked on hilltops looking down at me, destroying the natural lines of the land. Some houses are surprisingly close to the streets and below street level, so if someone drives their car or truck off the road they can end up in someone's living room. No sidewalks, so if you go to walk Fido you have to jump out of the way of cars on the narrow roads which are not very bike-friendly. In some areas there are gorgeous designer homes next to trailers and junk heaps. The Placitas "community/senior center" looks small and cheaply built. You would think with all the wealthy people around they could have built something better. Summer evenings bring out lots of gnats.

These are just a few observations I have whenever I drive through Placitas. A few friends and acquaintances have lived there and loved it. I love the views from there and it is near some nice hiking trails but these are some of the drawbacks that would keep me from moving there (not to mention the higher cost of housing). I would like to hear from others about the positives.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:44 PM

4,873 posts, read 4,816,295 times
I suggest you ignore the above post, as aries63 dislikes any area where you have a little space, a lot of quiet, good property values and might have to drive somewhere. He is especially anti-Placitas and places like it for those and other reasons. From his comments, I can tell that he knows little about the area.

We've lived here 11 years and are quite happy with the choice. I cannot stand living where I can reach out and touch my neighbor's house or have to look into their windows (or they mine). Also, those houses are on the hillsides to capture those spectacular views. His comments about narrow roads are only relevant in the older areas, as the newer areas have wider roads. While there are no sidewalks, it doesn't seem to stop anyone from walking themselves or their pets. You can't walk for more than a few minutes any morning without meeting all numbers of people. Many people we met after moving here we met while walking the neighborhood. Our development abuts the open space, so that opens up hundreds of acres for hiking (or horseback riding if that's your thing).

If you drive through the various neighborhoods, I think you'll like the variety of housing. It is anything but a hodge podge. Also, I have never seen a car go off the road into a house in the time we've been here. I can't comment on the commnuity center because I've only been in it one time and don't recall. I can tell you that it's well used. So, I expect that was just another cheap shot.

I also have no idea what aries is talking about when he says summer brings out lots of gnats. In 11 years of sitting on the portale and walking the neighborhoods, I have never experienced any gnats (much less a lot).

behavior-coach is right, water should not be an issue, although folks who don't fully know the area always bring it up. If you live within 4-5 miles of I-25 (around the s-curve on 165), you will likely get your water from one of the area coops like this one - La Mesa Water Coop | Serving La Mesa and Sundance Mesa. Other areas have smaller or individual systems. As you get close to the mountains (like east of the village), the water is there but you might to search wider and deeper for it. It's a common geologic phenomenon.

The Merc is our local grocery, and it's a full service grocery (not convenience store). It does not have the selection of Albertsons or Walmarts, which are 2-3 miles west of I-25 on 528 and 550. The Blades Bistro, which is next to the Merc, is a great restaurant. The Range, Flying Star, Abuelitas, LaCasita restaurants and other many fast food places are in Bernalillo.

Now is a good time to buy property here, as the prices have stabilized.

If you have any specific questions, PM me.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 PM

5,046 posts, read 7,430,564 times
Hello? I don't recall ever making comments about Placitas before in the forum. I've been visiting friends there also for about 11 years and followed the construction of a friend's house there over the course of several months. Yes I recall the unpleasantness of being harassed by gnats and mosquitoes at dusk in summer, maybe that's not widespread in the area.

Of course Placitas is ideal for some people, but as can be said about any city or town, it's not everyone's cup of tea. A lot of people loathe Albuquerque. I don't take it personally. The OP asked for "any thoughts, opinions" and that's what I gave.

And you don't have to live in Placitas to have a house that's not on top of your neighbor's. There are areas of Placitas where houses are pretty close together too.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguelena View Post
Any thoughts on life in Placitas? I'm considering buying a lot and building a modest home on it in 4-5 years. I would be a single, retired woman living alone. Thanks for any thoughts, opinions, etc.
If you have not actually visited, you might consider a visit. There is a certain amount of isolation but it is close to necessities. Some of the neighborhoods are set back quite a way with fantastic scenic drives. Some, perhaps too long for me for a daily drive if commuting. I typically get lost while riding though the various parts of Placitas. Look at an online street map to get an idea.

I just up a few photos: Placitas Photos

We have lived in Rio Rancho about 11 years, about 15 miles from Placitas. We had mixed feelings about buying in Placitas, the additional commute to Albuquerque (ABQ), the cost and just other plans and some uncertainties (not related to the area).

As mentioned, there are some water issues in some areas. Also, the wind is one weather factor many newcomers are shocked by. More of an irritant...

I've done some hiking/walking through various parts. All the people I have encountered were friendly. The area is not as densely populated as ABQ.

There are other areas further North, all the way to the Santa Fe area. But I consider Placitas a definite place to consider.

Rich

Old 08-12-2010, 06:13 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,473,656 times
Be informed about pipelines and road construction.

I haven't been able to dig up current information, but look into : the Mid-America Pipeline Company Western Expansion Project and the "Loop Rd."

http://whoanm.org/LoopRd/docs/Placit...FinalDraft.pdf

Old 08-12-2010, 08:12 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,426,781 times
We've lived in Placitas for six years and enjoy the views, our morning walk, and the friendliness of our neighbors.

Here are some pics of Placitas that I've taken over the years.

Picasa Web Albums - pconleynm - Placitas

Old 08-12-2010, 08:27 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Good pics nmguy! The Bobcat & Kitten was cute.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-16-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 08-12-2010, 09:42 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,965,382 times
I've lived in Placitas now for 1 1/2 yrs and have found it to be one of the most wonderful parts of the country to live in. Quiet starry nights, magnificent vistas in every direction, an architecture mostly in harmony, and, rare these days, a sense of place. Right away it says NEW MEXICO.

If you don't mind some solitude (not isolation) and a bit of commute to go most places (not as bad as it seems), then Placitas could work for you.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:18 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,089,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm
... have no idea ... about ...
summer brings out lots of gnats. ...
It's possible to have certain kinds of insects at certain times
of the year when there are certain types of animals around.

Neighborhoods around the State Fairgrounds get lots of flies during
that time, but have almost no flies other times of the year.

I haven't lived near the river, but have heard that there are almost
no roaches there, but one can get bitten by mosquitos sometimes.
Normally, one goes for whole summers with no mosquito bites and you
can count the number of flies you'll see in your house on one hand.

I've also been on the tops of high peaks in the Sandias/Manzanos
and been swarmed by ladybugs. Most times, not. It just depends.

I wouldn't want to live in Placitas, but I still think it could be wonderful for
many many people. The same goes for Corrales, Edgewood, and other
locations. Placitas would be a great place to have a home observatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque