Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 AM

146 posts, read 326,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
I commute Central twice a day during the week. You really should do it sometime. In the mornings you can see the night-shift being changed out with the day-shift and after work you get to see the night-shift coming back on. Very colorful.
I just haven't had a reason to head in that direction yet, I'm not even sure where it is. I think it's down there by Zuni, right? My whole life pretty much happens between Paseo del Norte and Menaul, and about Juan Tabo to Tramway, lol, but I'll keep it in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 11:00 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,312,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsWest View Post
I just haven't had a reason to head in that direction yet, I'm not even sure where it is. I think it's down there by Zuni, right? My whole life pretty much happens between Paseo del Norte and Menaul, and about Juan Tabo to Tramway, lol, but I'll keep it in mind.
If you ever get bored, take a drive on the wild side of Central from Tamway to just about any point west.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:24 PM

508 posts, read 1,088,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Couldn't help but pile on.

The most telling thing about this is that Prescott is the absolute last place I'd want to live in Arizona. Would sooner live in Nogales, or Maryvale, or Safford, or St. Johns.

The road layout is horrible, putting it on par with the most poorly planned L.A. suburbs. Weather is identical to Albuquerque's, except they get 6X as much snow in the winter. But the people are what make Prescott the least enjoyable to me. It has this odd vibe of "where people go to give up on life."

I think it's a match made in heaven. Our OP will fit right in.

Agree completely. Was just in the Prescott area...yeesh. Jerome, AZ is pretty nice though! But yeah, it sounds like the OP will find what they are looking for in Prescott.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:33 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,514,146 times
I have bad memories of Prescott mainly because I've investigated a case of wrongful conviction that took place in Prescott made worse by the town's provincial nature as well as the local yokels who make up Yavapai County Sheriffs Office and Prescott PD. Lets just say that once local law enforcement found out why I was down there conducting interviews, they weren't too thrilled with me no matter how cordial/polite I tried to be.

I'm also somewhat biased because I live in Flagstaff and still have no idea how Prescott scored an In-N-Out while we got nothing

Then again, I want to move to Albuquerque and am trying hard to get out of Arizona, so take from that what you will.

In other news, Jerome is ground zero for Arizona's wine country, so at least there's that.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:02 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,634,685 times
Quote:
Central is Albuquerque's main street. It used to be part of Route 66. Definitely make a point of seeing what it's all about. It's a very long street and quite diverse in its offerings and character along that way. It, more than any other street in this city, gives you a taste of what you may find all across the city.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:38 PM

923 posts, read 2,422,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acelucero75 View Post
Mr Lobo its sounds like your being a smart alec. Btw Oklahoma Sooners rule! The grass is greener in Hawaii but you don't see me moving there.

Ahem... Make that Mrs. Lobo!

Old 10-11-2011, 09:51 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,726,981 times
I'm not a native of Prescott or Albuquerque but I've been through both places in my time. Prescott is a lot like Santa Fe with the greenery/Ponderosa. Much greener than the lower elevations of Albuquerque. They do get more snow in Prescott despite both cities being at about a mile above sea level.

However, good jobs are hard to come by unless you are self employed or employed in a field of demand. Prescott has been victimized by Californication in the worst way in the past couple decades. Real estate is quite expensive considering the pay scales for employment are quite low. Way lower than Phoenix where I am moving to in a couple months. Many Retirees from So Cal have moved to Prescott and that's driven up prices.

Another negative on Prescott is the roads. They are BRUTAL to get to I 17 when traveling to Phoenix. It's expanded so quickly that the infrastructure hasn't kept up. It's a solid 40 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic during the week through Prescott Valley and Dewey just to get to I 17.

As for Albuquerque. I had a good time there on vacation years back. Went up the Sandia Tram and enjoyed it. If my company had an office in ABQ, I'd move there over Phoenix. Love the Green Chili and New Mex food better than Tex Mex which is common near Phoenix. Plus, great year around temps. I hate snow but it usually doesn't stick long in ABQ unless you go above 7000 feet. Summers seldomly get above 100 as well. Lastly, has some growth going on in the White Collar fields. Specifically in Rio Rancho. Way more employment opportunities than Prescott.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:26 PM

121 posts, read 299,806 times
I am ashamed by the responses the op has received, you would think there are a bunch of immature teens in the ABQ forum. You people bash Prescott and anyone who dosent care for ABQ. So what, everyone has an opinion and preference, be respectful of it. This is America not Iran.

And remember.....Prescott may not be your cup of tea just like ABQ is not the cup of tea for most in the nation.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:53 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,068,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big time bro View Post
I am ashamed by the responses the op has received, you would think there are a bunch of immature teens in the ABQ forum. You people bash Prescott and anyone who dosent care for ABQ. So what, everyone has an opinion and preference, be respectful of it. This is America not Iran.

And remember.....Prescott may not be your cup of tea just like ABQ is not the cup of tea for most in the nation.
Bash? Opinions = Iran? Hyperbole much?

Old 10-12-2011, 05:20 PM

14 posts, read 30,094 times
Default Just garbage

Quote:
I was wondering why I haven't had any contact with "drunk Native Americans, illegal aliens, or aggressive cage fighter type Hispanics," but then I realized it is because I am not cruising Central, lol. Actually, I don't think I've ever been on Central, much less "cruised" it after dark on a Friday or Saturday night. My life is comfortably dull, and I like Abq just fine.

Good luck to you Ace.

Oh, and a word to my fellow posters, "illegals" is really not acceptable nomenclature. It's crass, dehumanizing and just as inappropriate as referring to people of color as "colored." Perhaps choose your language more thoughtfully. Generally "undocumented" is preferred.
And people like "you" are what is driving this country into the ground. The drivel that you spout makes me just sick. You (the generic you) are either here legally or illegaly and calling the illegals undocumented just trys to hide that fact.

Pure garbage...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque