Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:52 PM

210 posts, read 408,387 times

Advertisements

My son was suspended for five days for fighting today, then he made the decision to say a smart aleck comment and it escalated to a hearing for a long-term suspension. I am now in official panic mode. He is a Junior who was on track to graduate.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a private Christian school, online program or homeschooling? I do not want to put him into one of the APS Alternative Schools where they warehouse the kids who make bad choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,688,129 times
So sorry to hear about this. As a mom, I can certainly imagine being in panic mode (among other modes). This exact same thing happened to my cousin, who is a sophomore, earlier this year. He is now at a charter school, which is mostly conducted online (2.5 hours per day of actual classroom time). I don't know the name of it offhand, but can find out if you're interested. There are a lot of online resources for homeschooling if you do a search. You might also look into charter schools. As for private Christian schools, the two big ones that I can think of are Hope and Menaul. On a smaller scale there are Victory Christian School and Evangel Christian Academy. Best of luck to you and your son.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
So sorry to hear about this. As a mom, I can certainly imagine being in panic mode (among other modes). This exact same thing happened to my cousin, who is a sophomore, earlier this year. He is now at a charter school, which is mostly conducted online (2.5 hours per day of actual classroom time). I don't know the name of it offhand, but can find out if you're interested. There are a lot of online resources for homeschooling if you do a search. You might also look into charter schools. As for private Christian schools, the two big ones that I can think of are Hope and Menaul. On a smaller scale there are Victory Christian School and Evangel Christian Academy. Best of luck to you and your son.
Hello Marmom,
I am very interested in the charter school information.
Thanks

Old 02-25-2011, 09:11 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,688,129 times
I just left a message for my aunt and will send you a message with the name of the school when I hear from her. Take care!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
I just left a message for my aunt and will send you a message with the name of the school when I hear from her. Take care!
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:32 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,189,351 times
I'm going to recommend something unpopular and recommend a different option: support your kid's schools decision to long-term suspend him and do whatever is in your power to force him to make amends, get back into that school, and graduate late if that's what it takes. If that involves making life at home even less pleasant than getting back into school, then many would argue that's the parent's job to endure it.

The rushes parents go through to find alternative schools for their kids shows a triumph of hope over experience when it comes to teens. By finding an alternative school, it shows young adults that they can rely on their parents to enable them to escape their actions without consequences, and puts them at high risk for failure for the rest of their lives.

I think many people would agree with me that a young man/woman who graduates late but learns responsibility for their actions is far better educated and prepared for the world than a young man/woman who bounces around from school to school, escaping consequences every time.

It's a fact that teenagers, no matter the make or model, are jerks at times. You can blame biology on that. What separates jerk teenagers from full-fledged jerk adults is effective parenting during those years; are you going to coddle your kid until you're no longer able to get him out of his messes, or are you going to step up and apply some tough love, teaching him the coping skills he needs to survive?

Put a different way: any school that would accept your teen, public, private, or parochial, will likely insert him in a track with very similar kids. These are kids who will influence your kid from here out more than you will. To achieve success, your kid needs to stick with the winners. My suggestion for education: do the homeschooling until he can return to the people he wronged, hat in hand, and get back in. If that means graduating late, too bad.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I'm going to recommend something unpopular and recommend a different option: support your kid's schools decision to long-term suspend him and do whatever is in your power to force him to make amends, get back into that school, and graduate late if that's what it takes. If that involves making life at home even less pleasant than getting back into school, then many would argue that's the parent's job to endure it.

The rushes parents go through to find alternative schools for their kids shows a triumph of hope over experience when it comes to teens. By finding an alternative school, it shows young adults that they can rely on their parents to enable them to escape their actions without consequences, and puts them at high risk for failure for the rest of their lives.

I think many people would agree with me that a young man/woman who graduates late but learns responsibility for their actions is far better educated and prepared for the world than a young man/woman who bounces around from school to school, escaping consequences every time.

It's a fact that teenagers, no matter the make or model, are jerks at times. You can blame biology on that. What separates jerk teenagers from full-fledged jerk adults is effective parenting during those years; are you going to coddle your kid until you're no longer able to get him out of his messes, or are you going to step up and apply some tough love, teaching him the coping skills he needs to survive?

Put a different way: any school that would accept your teen, public, private, or parochial, will likely insert him in a track with very similar kids. These are kids who will influence your kid from here out more than you will. To achieve success, your kid needs to stick with the winners. My suggestion for education: do the homeschooling until he can return to the people he wronged, hat in hand, and get back in. If that means graduating late, too bad.
Zoldberg,
When I asked the question, I also included homeschooling as an option. We are exploring the paths to try to make his life structured over the next few months (no sitting around playing video games all day) without enabling. Our behavior standards are high, this was the first fight in my son's life and hell will freeze over before he gets his cell phone back.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:39 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,308,957 times
Like my old school Pops always said, "If your teenage kids don't think you're a dictatorial son-of-a-bi*ch, then you aren't doing your job."

Old 02-26-2011, 11:36 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,380,043 times
I agree with the basic premise of Zoid's post, that people have to understand that their actions reap consequences, but to go from a five-day suspension for fighting, a reasonable penalty, to a long-term suspension for making an inappropriate remark is only going to teach him that authority is arbitrary, capricious, and at worst, corrupt.

I think the administration at his school has seriously failed.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I agree with the basic premise of Zoid's post, that people have to understand that their actions reap consequences, but to go from a five-day suspension for fighting, a reasonable penalty, to a long-term suspension for making an inappropriate remark is only going to teach him that authority is arbitrary, capricious, and at worst, corrupt.

I think the administration at his school has seriously failed.
It could be a whole school year screwed up because of saying the F word, and this is honestly only the second time he was in the office.

N8, I am a mom that gives consequences, checks text messages, does random drug tests and follows through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque