Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 03:09 AM

60 posts, read 127,780 times

Advertisements

I've searched the forum but can find very little about Corrales. I am interested in Sandia Park (gorgeous but a little remote) but Corrales (which I haven't visited) has come to my attention. I'm in the market for a max. $600K house. How do the two compare? Views, convenience for shopping and services, weather differences, security, no kids so schools aren't an issue, public services ? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 08:11 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,467,580 times
I'm just finishing up a lease in Corrales. I love it here.

You can get more for your money in Sandia Park, but it depends on what you want. If you like the remoteness, privacy, winter and need more land then S.P. is prolly for you.

There is a huge amount of retail offerings just outside of Corrales, but if you
don't want to hear barking dogs, crowing roosters and braying burros then Corrales may not be for you. It really is country in the city, like all of the Rio Grande Valley in ABQ. While we have @ 1 acre plots where I am, it still seems private to me. The water is extremely hard here, but there is lots of it, which may not be the case in S.P.

Corrales is beautiful, quaint, artsy and unique.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:14 PM

923 posts, read 2,419,168 times
Corrales is more country, more green. Think country living in most areas of Corrales. Some of the newer areas are more desert-like though. It runs along the bosque of the Rio Grande river. Sandia Park is drier, less trees and is close to the rocky side of the Sandia Mountains, so it's more desert-like. Sandia Park will have more clouds, snowfall, and rain than Corrales. Temps are probably a few degrees cooler in SP, as well.

Corrales is less than a mile from a major shopping mall, as well as every box-store you can imagine. No need to drive anywhere because everything you'll need will be within a 3 mile radius. Living in Corrales gives you the the ability to shop in small quaint stores, dine in locally owned restaurants, and take part in small-town community events (think hay rides and growers markets). At the same time, you are also only minutes away from the large box stores and city shopping of both Albuquerque and Rio Rancho.

If I could choose, I'd choose Corrales because I like the country feel that it has. It just depends on what you are looking for. Both are great locations in general.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:51 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
I'm in agreement with lalahartma and lobo (yes, shocking for me...)

I would prefer Corrales over Sandia Park. I have had a few "Rural remote" residences... But Sandia Park is spectacular to me and Corrales is historic with some neat older families...

For 10+ years, I have lived in Rio Rancho about 1/4 mile North of Corrales.

There are some parts of "North Valley" which I would prefer...

Here are some photo's in no order which I took in Corrales: Flickr: The Corrales, New Mexico Pool

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-26-2014 at 12:10 PM..

Old 10-24-2010, 01:29 PM

801 posts, read 2,211,961 times
I would think you would have more shopping and dining choices with Corrales than Sandia Park.

Weather-wise: Corrales versus Sandia Park: 10 inches of annual precipitation versus 19 inches, 8 inches of snow compared to 57 inches, 59 days of 90 degree weather versus 13, and zero days of below zero temperatures versus 3-4.

Noise - Not sure, but I don't know if you can get away from barking dogs anywhere around here. Personally, I'd trade some of those barking dogs for a few roosters.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:35 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,467,580 times
I think what lobo means about Corrales being more 'country' is that it is agricultural.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Exactly, Corrales is rural (houses and fields) while Sandia Park is exurban (houses and trees).

Old 10-29-2010, 12:03 AM

60 posts, read 127,780 times
Thanks for all the info! How do you compare Corrales to SP to Placitas? Placitas and SP appear to be the same distance from the center of Albuquerque though Placitas' altitude isn't as high. Is Placitas too "out in the sticks"? Thanks!

Old 10-29-2010, 08:33 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoBald View Post
Thanks for all the info! How do you compare Corrales to SP to Placitas? Placitas and SP appear to be the same distance from the center of Albuquerque though Placitas' altitude isn't as high. Is Placitas too "out in the sticks"? Thanks!
There is a giant mountain called Sandia Mountaibn between ABQ and SP (Sandia Park). Interstate 40 goes through it. It can be a problem on occasion when it snows.

SP is greener. Placitas is desert, but beautiful. Corrales is more agricultural.

They each have their advantages and disadvantages that you really need to look at first hand.

Rich

Old 10-29-2010, 01:41 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,423,203 times
When I moved here seven years ago, I was torn between Corrales and Placitas. Placitas was more isolated and had wonderful views and a sense of open space. Coorrales was smaller in area, had a strong sense of community with parades, fiestas, etc., and was closer to shopping.

We settled in Placitas because we had enough of Silicon Valley's congestion and wanted to live in a much simpler area. I could just as easily have chosen Corrales. We go there often for its growers market, its restaurants, and Las Posadas, which are presented every holiday season. In Placitas, we have developed a good group of friends, enjoy our morning walk, and marvel at the view of the mountains.

As Rich mentioned, it would be a good idea to come out and test the water (before it gets too cold) in both places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque