Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 08:22 AM

28 posts, read 41,057 times

Advertisements

So I'm moving to Albuquerque (Sandia Park actually) on August 1st.
Rented a place with a swamp cooler...what's the story on those things?
Do they keep a house cool? It simply has an on or off switch so you can't
turn it up or down? Is it used 24/7 or do most people shut them off at
night since it gets so cool?

Just looking for some general info for a girl from the Midwest!
Thxs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 08:57 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaslee View Post

Thxs
They generally keep the house cooler, except on humid days.

Well, they generally have three switches, blower high/low, blower on/off, water pump on/off. Some have thermostats.

I use to have ours on almost 24/7 with the blower on low.

SWAMP COOLERS (Mar 27, 2013)
Swamp Coolers vs. Refrigerated Air
question about turning swamp cooler off
Poll: When did your swamp cooler get turned on?
Swamp cooler/evaporative cooler recommendations?
Swamp Cooler Operation
The main swamp cooler motor spun it's last today....
Stupid Swamp Cooler Question
Las Cruces - swamp cooler or AC?

Old 07-06-2013, 12:39 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,833 times
I turn mine on low during the day when I'm home and set it off when I leave. Sometimes during the night I'll set it to high to keep it a little extra cool. They work fine, though it'd be nice to have a thermostat.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:28 PM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Sandia Park is not Albuquerque. In Albuquerque I generally don't need it until late afternoon, then shut it off at bedtime. If the outside temp does not make it to 90 during the day, then I generally don't use it at all. A floor fan works well.

I'm surprised you even have a swamp cooler in Sandia Park. I don't think you will need it much.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:35 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,863 times
I have 2 swamp coolers, and they generally keep the house 15-20 degrees cooler than the outdoor temperature. On really hot days (90+), I turn them on in the morning and off before going to bed. One thing is for sure: swamp coolers are less expensive to run than air conditioners are.

On hot, humid days, ceiling fans come in handy.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:43 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,536 times
I moved to Albuquerque last summer from a marine climate, and it took me a while to adapt. I had it running 24/7, but sometimes would turn it off around 3:00am because it got too cold. My electric bill at its highest was $55. WAY cheaper than AC! I prefer it actually because you're getting the fresh outside air. The exception to that is when there are forest fires and you need to turn it off because of smoke. As said they don't work when it's humid, so I just open windows and take cold showers.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
My favorite climate site says that Sandia Park only gets about 13 days a year over 90. A swamp cooler would be fine, and probably not necessary most days.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:36 AM

265 posts, read 808,932 times
Hey, welcome to the neighborhood! We've lived out here in Sandia Park for almost 10 years, and have only needed a swamp cooler for the last 3 years, didn't have one at all for the first 7 years. This is the ideal climate for swamp coolers, trust me: it doesn't get as hot as down in town, and humid days are even rarer than hot days.

And if you're moving in on August 1, you may not need to turn yours on at all: we use ours most during the month of June and halfway into July. We only need to turn ours on between the hours of noon and 6pm, we only run it when we're in the house, and we have never, not once, needed to turn it on at night.

Of course your mileage may vary based on the design and orientation of your house: the less western exposure you have, and the more windows positioned for cross-breeze, the cooler your house will stay, for example.

The most crucial thing to understand is that you *must* partly open at least a few windows for your swamp cooler to function properly, as it has to be able to push the hot air out of the house. The links Poncho_NM provided above really helped me to understand how it works.

The other concept that helped me is "passive solar = active owner". Meaning that you open as many windows as you can at night to fill your house with cool air, then gradually shut them, and draw drapes or blinds across southern & western exposures, during the afternoon as it heats up.

After learning how to operate our swamp cooler, I have to say, we really love it, because if you do it right it really works! We enjoy the fresh air, and the low cost as mentioned - ours adds only $30 - $35 per month to our electric bill.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:12 AM

462 posts, read 1,009,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaslee View Post

Thxs
Welcome to Sandia Park. We live at 7,000 feet at the top of a hill. We have one swamp cooler in the master bed....it's okay but I actually like AC better. Because our one-story house sits at the top of a hill ... we get direct sun. We're about 7 degrees (+/-) cooler than ABQ nevertheless requiring AC. We keep the AC off at night and it's not needed in the morning as we have ceiling fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque