Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 5,241 times

Advertisements

Coming from east coast to Homer AK. Does anyone know best way to get there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2006, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,238 times
Default Homer, AK

JK,
I made the drive up to Homer last year from Pennsylvania.
I recently moved from Homer to Sterling because of work availability.
If you want,drop me an email and I will go over the different routes with you.

Don

Old 01-13-2006, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,235 times
Not sure what your after, but I can tell you it is a haul. Went up some years back during July and returned following May. By the time your driving along Kluane Lake in the Yukon, your won't be but somewhere near 800 miles away from your destination, if I remember right. We went from Ohio, however we went up through Bellingham, WA. I suppose you'd go up through Montana and I'm afraid by time you caught Hwy 1, you would have misssed some very beautiful country in BC. But there is more.

As for Homer, never been- but have been many other places in Alaska from Nome on the norton Sound and adjacent to the Bering Straight to the Little Delta River to Cordova, King Salmon and Egegik, up to Seward and Anchorage. If I had to choose the best place in Alaska, I'd say Hatchers Pass, out toward Willow. Also, the best time (scenic wise) for the drive south from Tok would be mid-August. Fireweed like you could not ever imagine on the Mentasta Mountains sides.

Well, if you want to know any more or have questions, send me an e-mail.

Jim

Old 01-15-2006, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,238 times
Default Hey Don

I recently moved from Homer to Sterling because of work availability.

I'd like to know more about the difference between Homer and Sterling. Also give me a little info about the cost of living in both.

thanks

Old 03-21-2006, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 12,296 times
Regardless of where you start from, all hiways into and out of Alaska join up with the Alcan Hiway. I have made the trip a couple of times over the last 25+years. The last time being 15 years ago. At that time the Alcan was all paved, except for a 150 mile stretch. A good travel guide is: Milepost Magazine, "themilepost.com" Also, once you get to the Anchorage area, there is only one hiway to Homer.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,240 times
Default How to get to Homer

Fly into Anchorage. From there you can either fly to Homer for around $100 or take the Seward Highway south to the Sterling Highway. Homer is at the end of the Sterling Highway, probably about 4 hours from Anchorage depending on conditions. Homer is absolutely gorgeous. You can usually get a job any time of year, but it might not be the job or wage you desire. Rent is a little pricey but not out of control. The town is growing fast. Its kind of a hippie town, whereas Sterling is more blue-collar. Both lovely places.

Last edited by skdbear; 03-29-2006 at 12:15 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 07:57 PM

763 posts, read 2,260,912 times
Drive west, until you can't drive any further, and you're here.

Seriously. If you've read "The End of the Road", it's not a joke.

FWIW, the other direction east as far is a town called "blank", and there's a song about it by the Arrogant Worms.

There are several different ways to get to the AlCan. The quickest way is through MT and into Jasper. Once you get to Alaska, just follow Highway 1 for a few hundred miles.

The site won't let my type the name of the town, so here's a Wikipedia link to it: , Newfoundland and Labrador - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Copy and paste it in your browser and substitue the 5 blanks before the comma with the letters for an adult bedroom toy.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:03 PM

124 posts, read 340,959 times
Well, if you make your way to Anchorage, you take the SEWARD HWY south, it is the ONLY way to drive south out of Anchorage.

When you get to the Seward cut off (left) take the RIGHT fork which is the Sterling HWY....go through Sterling ....a wide spot in the road, through Soldotna, a little wider spot in the road, and another two hours south at the END of the road is Homer.

Like stated lots of "progressive" people in Homer...Artists, "hippies" if you will , liberal lifestyles...and LANDS END... the dock and lots of bald eagles. Not much for shopping, but the fishing is good if you have the $ for a charter and only want one halibut!

It is a lovely drive, but more like 6 hours from Anchorage, unless you travel 100 mph!

Old 06-08-2008, 09:41 PM

763 posts, read 2,260,912 times
It's not that far. I can drive my bus from Anchorage to Homer in 4.5 hours or so, and it can only go 60 MPH. But, you will want to stop and look at stuff, so it will take much longer.

But, all those turns are Highway 1.

You will get to Sterling, and you will recognize what the expression "delusions of grandeur" truly means. It widens out into 4 lanes, with lights. And not much else.

But, when you get to Tern Lake (which is where you turn to go to Sterling), stop and take a look. Terns are fascinating, and over by the outhouses, if the salmon are running, you can watch them.

ETA: Not all Homeroids are "progressive" types. I'm one of two extremely conservative artists at Ptarmigan Arts, and there are at least half a dozen more of us here in town.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:59 PM

124 posts, read 340,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
It's not that far. I can drive my bus from Anchorage to Homer in 4.5 hours or so, and it can only go 60 MPH. But, you will want to stop and look at stuff, so it will take much longer.

ETA: Not all Homeroids are "progressive" types. I'm one of two extremely conservative artists at Ptarmigan Arts, and there are at least half a dozen more of us here in town.
OK, so I stopped to eat along the way.....it ALWAYS takes me at least 6, but I like the view, and usually enjoy other stops for........

I am SO relieved to hear there are a half a dozen sane people...and love your name for yourselves....a since of humor and everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska