Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:09 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Blues I'm having a vision of Gramma doing the wash like she was churning butter.
exactly!!! funny as all get out!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 10:43 PM

860 posts, read 2,055,188 times
Hey you guys, it works! I tried pounding them on the rocks in the creek like you see in them movies but I couldn't get all the slime from the rocks off. I had a friend long time ago who rigged up an old 6-horse motor to some kind of paddle invention. His wife would lower it in her wash tub, fire up the engine and - instant washing machine.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:52 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
I had a friend who thought pounding clothes "on and with" the rocks was the way to wash them in the wilderness... When he was done he had pretty much smashed the cloth in the clothes into hundreds of holes in them. A flock of moth's in a summer couldn't have done better!

Old 11-21-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I had a friend who thought pounding clothes "on and with" the rocks was the way to wash them in the wilderness... When he was done he had pretty much smashed the cloth in the clothes into hundreds of holes in them. A flock of moth's in a summer couldn't have done better!
how long did he survive in the wilderness??? hahaha

Old 11-21-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
how long did he survive in the wilderness??? hahaha
About twenty years on the upper Kantishna River District... Was a supprise to a bunch of us that he made it though his first year. He moved into town (Nenana) a few years ago and bought an older cabin and has access to the more modern stuff.

He even wrote a book about his experiances about it.

Going Wild by Miles-survival story

Old 11-21-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
About twenty years on the upper Kantishna River District... Was a supprise to a bunch of us that he made it though his first year. He moved into town (Nenana) a few years ago and bought an older cabin and has access to the more modern stuff.

He even wrote a book about his experiances about it.

Going Wild by Miles-survival story
great art work he does!!! enjoyed his site and bookmarked it for future!! thanks

Old 11-21-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
great art work he does!!! enjoyed his site and bookmarked it for future!! thanks

We have a whole cast of guys just like him all over interior Alaska. Some do really well, and some are never seen again.

He had a plane drop him off in the middle of nowheres, and he did walk out a year later which supprised a lot of people.

One time a bunch of years ago, I went into his cabin and a stench almost made me puke, he had his lynx and wolf claws he does for artwork in a box with "Bugs" that eat the flesh off and produce some really rotten smells of decay.. Needless to say, he couldn't smell it since he was living there.

Other than some little minor details like that, nicest guy you could ever meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska