Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:14 PM

261 posts, read 780,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Except for the fact that average property values in Michigan are a fraction of what they are in Alaska, so even at a Mill Rate of 20 the property tax is still less.

The estimated median house or condo value in Harbor Springs, Michigan for 2007: $237833,
Same estimated median house or condo value in Wasilla, AK for 2007:$94474
source: city data

I think the figures speak for themselves, coupled with the fact for our taxes in Michigan which were approximately $3000 a year we had no street lighting on our Street and precious little else, we did however pay for the local cemetry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 08:06 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Horizon View Post
The estimated median house or condo value in Harbor Springs, Michigan for 2007: $237833,

I think the figures speak for themselves, coupled with the fact for our taxes in Michigan which were approximately $3000 a year we had no street lighting on our Street and precious little else, we did however pay for the local cemetry.

From citydata....
Estimated median house or condo value in 2007: $239,057 (it was $140,200 in 2000)
[LEFT]Wasilla: $239,057Alaska: $231,300Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Wasilla-Alaska.html#ixzz0TxxnOWuM

The above from citydata...You must have some numbers mixed up.[/LEFT]

Old 10-13-2009, 08:12 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
Thanks for the reply, and thanks to those who replied via private message.

WOW! Does that seem high? I know we don't have state income tax but property tax seems incredibly high. Whew! I have a ranch in Montana where I pay $1400 a year total.
Property tax in the valley, and also North Star Borough (around Fairbanks) are very high.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:24 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,325 times
You're right Marty. Makes here and back there about even. Either way, with Mills of 20+, I think it was 22, I don't remember for sure, our taxes were huge back there. Although, you can buy homes mighty darn cheep now. The housing fall out really hit that area.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:03 PM

526 posts, read 1,756,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
75-80% of the property tax money goes to the schools. The rest goes to the borough for road and fire service areas and for planning on how you can use your property in the future...zoning.

That is why you should pay attention to the borough and school budgets and ask them how they are spending the money. I know a lot of it is wasted, but that happens with any government. The closer the people actually look at the money, the better it will be spent.

Remember, we have no income tax and no sales tax.

Well, a friend made a case to me that we actually do have an income tax but since it is indirect we ignore it. This is the money that comes to the state from the oil royalties. The oil is owned by the people not the government, and if the money were actually distributed to the people and then taxed back to the government we would feel differently about the money that the state is spending. Instead, the state spends the money and distributes a pittance to the people in the form of a pfd.

Also, if you counted the money that the state is spending from the oil royalties as a tax, we would have the highest taxes in the country.
I rather have high "voluntary/indirect" taxes than a property tax. I don't understand why property needs to be taxed.... especially if it is your primary residence. If you can afford to pay it... why not just increase taxation on sales or income or a combination of both. All property taxes are is a means to strip equity from inherited property from those that cannot afford to pay it. All property taxes do is propagate foreclosures and mess with the equity of your neighbour's home.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:03 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,988 times
If we could trade a property tax for a sales tax I would be all for it. But I voted against a sales tax in the valley last year because it would not eliminate the property tax.

I am not willing to give the local government two ways to tax us.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:55 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,565,416 times
They tried that bait and switch in Fairbanks, was suppose to remove the property tax "After" they got a sales tax passed. The people voted it down knowing full well once they had both, neither would go away.....

Old 02-06-2010, 11:40 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Horizon View Post

I have no street lighting (outside Fairbanks, AK), not paved roads, have a septic system, and water well. Still pay around $3,000 in property tax for a house that has 1,700 Sq. Feet of living space, built in 1980. On top of that, over $200.00 per month for electricity, and around $300.00 per month for heating fuel.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:27 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There's more than one reason to avoid Mat-Su....the taxes are crazy there...for me, the population density is the other...why I went with the Unorganized Borough for my property, no taxes, few people...
Part of the problem here though is that you are going to spending more on gas to get to Costco than you would in property taxes. It goes all the way out to Eureka and encompases lake louise.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:29 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
Are the taxes in Anchorage any less? I don't know where one could go to avoid the taxes while staying on the road system.
Anchorage has alot of amenities though and is not much more than the bourough. People go to the valley because they get a bigger lot and slightly nicer house than they would in Anchorage. But everyone I have met has drasticly underestimated how brutal the commute is into anchorage, drasticly under estimated it. The only people I know that like it are people that can do a significant portion of their job telecommuting, but it has to be significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska