Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:51 PM

218 posts, read 518,578 times

Advertisements

I know that everyone talks a lot about the traffic into Anchorage in the morning being brutal, but how is it the other way around? I'm assuming the traffic in the morning on the northbound glenn is a lot thinner, and traffic southbound out of the valley lighter toward Anchorage in the evening than the northbound evening rush is?

I'm most likely going to have two jobs, one in Wasilla and one in Anchorage or E. River and I'll likely live in E. River/Chugiak to start out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 11:00 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
Much better, but qualify that with the fact that any bad accident on the highway in any direction you drive will slow traffic to a standstill.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:00 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,364,392 times
Hi Quake - I just posted on another thread, too.

The traffic opposite the rush hour is no big deal. I work nights and drive to Anchorage from Wasilla at 530pm - and I come north out of Anchorage at 8am. What makes the drive difficult IMHO is the poorly marked lanes, profoundly dark areas and possible iced areas. If the temperature is balmy, there is a lot of road-splash of dirt, and I have had to pull over and literally clean my headlights with glass cleaner. Some people tolerate the drive well, some I've met refuse to do it.
I will say that I drive much more defensively than I did in the lower 48 - watching out for moose, slick spots and drivers who think they're on Nascar after a few "too many" .

Old 01-09-2009, 11:07 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,246,280 times
I personally hate the drive, and do it as little as possible. I think the biggest reason for my hate is that I'm not use to this type of traffic coming from a town of about 1500. Wasilla is HUGE to me.

I do think that the drive opposite the rush would be much better, though Eagle River exits seem busy all the time.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
I personally hate the drive, and do it as little as possible. I think the biggest reason for my hate is that I'm not use to this type of traffic coming from a town of about 1500. Wasilla is HUGE to me.

I do think that the drive opposite the rush would be much better, though Eagle River exits seem busy all the time.
Yeah, it's all relative to what you know. I'm used to Pittsburgh and Altoona back in PA - pretty decent mid sized cities. But one does have to remember what a large population does exist in a small space in the Anchorage area in general.....it can seem like a hive of bee activity .

Old 01-09-2009, 11:34 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,246,280 times
You're right, it is all relative to what you're use to, but damn I hate that drive. Ahh, in time I guess I'll get use to it, but I'll still do it as little as possible.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:50 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
I don't live in the area but find the drive rather pleasant when I do make it. Kinda nice scenery once you get up within view of Pioneer Peak. I think the fog on the Knik River Bridge can be deadly. I know it was before they put in the new bridge and lights.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:44 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
It's just what you get used to driving in. The traffic going the opposite direction from the valley commuters isn't bad. Very few people commute from Anchorage to the valley.

The road can be very slippery at times. It is right now. I drove into Chugiak yesterday and the road looked bare but it was in fact extremely slick. Several large 4X4s were in the ditch, one on it's side.

BTW, I see more 4 bys in the ditch then small cars. I don't know why.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:33 PM

218 posts, read 518,578 times
called bick dig syndrome I think

Old 01-10-2009, 10:44 PM

I have seen more accidents on the highway in the last three months than I have seen in my lifetime. One, 1, Uno nights drive from Muldoon to Wasilla the wife and I counted 54 that is fifty four vehicles in the ditch or wrecked. The black ice on that highway along with the rutting is horrible. Combine the fact that they put virtually no anti-skid down makes it a death trap.

I know that has nothing to do with traffic but I feel better now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska