Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't call most of the Wasilla area prestigious, no. Most people who buy out there and commute to Anchorage do so because of the lower housing costs. Though I'm sure that some just prefer not to live in the city.

It think property crime is pretty low there though.

I think meth busts have partially gone down statewide due to them becoming more adept at hiding their crimes and the use of mobile and mini labs.

Did anyone ever hear what Palin's SIL broke into those houses for? On one break in she took her four year old daughter with her. That sounds like a meth user to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 01:09 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
They had a picture of her on HNN today. She looked scarey!

Old 04-14-2009, 01:24 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,365,316 times
For the benefit of the OP:
I live here in Wasilla.
I like it. I have access to what I need and I can drive to what I want to see from here (ie: the rest of Alaska)
I commute and the drive on the Glenn on the good days is the payoff for the bad days.
I have made good friends in the community.
I have not seen meth, been pandered to for meth, been asked to buy meth or been asked to used meth.

One's perspective of a place is seen through the lens of their own experiences, I guess.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:56 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akvarmit View Post
For the benefit of the OP:
I live here in Wasilla.
I like it. I have access to what I need and I can drive to what I want to see from here (ie: the rest of Alaska)
I commute and the drive on the Glenn on the good days is the payoff for the bad days.
I have made good friends in the community.
I have not seen meth, been pandered to for meth, been asked to buy meth or been asked to used meth.

One's perspective of a place is seen through the lens of their own experiences, I guess.
So true Akvarmit. Our home is also in Wasilla and we have lived there over 8 years and everything you said is true. Couldn't agree with you more

Old 04-14-2009, 02:51 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,035,075 times
I go in and out of houses almost every day. I have been in 3 so far today and am scheduled for several more. I have taken classes in how to recognize meth houses. So far...I haven't seen any. And I have been doing this for years.

I've seen a lot of pot houses over the years, none lately.

A lot of people don't even lock there houses here. There is burglaries, for sure. But take normal precautions and it's not a big issue.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:14 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,250,164 times
I'll agree with most of what Varmit said, the views are great and I also haven't seen any of the meth, though some of the people kind of look a bit "methed out". Most of the people around here are very nice and I work with some great people here also.

All that being said, we do plan on moving, just not sure where yet, we're looking. Wasilla to me is just a transplanted lower 48, and isn't a town at all, just one long strip mall and way too crowded for me. Having a long drive, say 70+miles, to do shopping, like for clothes and such, isn't a big deal to me at all, I'm use to that. I, we, just want to be in a much smaller town/community.

Like I've said before, we moved to Wasilla because it got us here, now we have time to look elsewhere.

Last edited by Nephler; 04-14-2009 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Adding stuff

Old 04-14-2009, 06:51 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
East or west Ed?

Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Not sure yet, maybe south or north also. We do like the Palmer area, though we're still thinking down to the Kenai also. We're shopping I guess you could say.

We have time now, and we can see and talk to people in person, that's the biggie.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:13 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
I thought Willow & Houston were nice areas. The area out near the Matanuska Glacier seems pretty nice too.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:22 PM

You're right, those areas are nice. I'm not opposed to any small area, just needs to be small, or at least one heck of a lot smaller than Wasilla, without all the darn lower 48 big box stores and fast/chain food restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska