Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 05:36 AM

351 posts, read 686,347 times

Advertisements

Yes the wind does blow snow around up here in some strange ways.

The driveway next door which is open from the road to the beach is always full of snow. I would think the wind would just blow the snow out of it either to the street or to the beach. But it seems the wind carries the snow in then bounces around between and off the buildings slows down and deposits snow.

Another strange thing is the vapor from the heaters in the house to the north may be blowing toward the east but at the same time the vapor from the house two houses south of me will be blowing toward the west. It seems like the taller houses a little more south create some kind of whirlwind in that immediate area. Back in December I saw vapor from houses on different corners of the same intersection near the Airport Inn blowing in 3 different directions at the same time. That one I can't figure out since there are no real structures to make it blow so differently.

On Floyd's website there are pictures showing the wind blowing in opposite directions within a block or so on the same street.

As the wind blow the snow goes, and goes and goes. There have only been a few calm days here so far. Usually the wind is blowing one way or the other it's always moving snow around. It frequently shifts back and forth through the day. As Floyd says not much new snow but we do see the same stuff again and again.

I once walked to Bowerville into the wind thinking at least it will be at my back walking back. WRONG - it had shifted and I walked into the wind both directions.

If you can live with it, it's really not bad and it does add to the interest of the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 05:59 AM

351 posts, read 686,347 times
OK last post, I know I must be tired because I find this too humorous to ignore and humorous enough to post.

Grannysroost's status: "What happens here...blows away...this is not Vegas..."

Maybe I should change mine to:

What happens here...blows away...then blows back...then blows away again...this is Barrow

Old 02-23-2009, 11:59 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Floyd are there any car dealers in Barrow?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:14 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkyhi View Post
OK last post, I know I must be tired because I find this too humorous to ignore and humorous enough to post.

Grannysroost's status: "What happens here...blows away...this is not Vegas..."

Maybe I should change mine to:

What happens here...blows away...then blows back...then blows away again...this is Barrow
Good one Brian, though when I put mine on I was referring to Redoubt blowing and the ash...guess snow works too!!

Old 02-23-2009, 03:20 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,655,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Floyd are there any car dealers in Barrow?
Nope. We have about 1468 junk yards though.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:50 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Nope. We have about 1468 junk yards though.
lol! That's what we have here in Bethel. I'll take a picture next time I think of it.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:40 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,655,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
lol! That's what we have here in Bethel. I'll take a picture next time I think of it.
Well, that's what reporters from NYC think they are.

But we all know that actually there are 1468 sources for spare parts, 1468 piles of memories, and 1468 places to get inspiration.

Besides that, mine is, well..., mine!

Old 02-23-2009, 04:44 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
You have to see the cab graveyard here that Kusko Cab has, amazing how many Impala's and Caprice Classics there is.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,299 times
I would like to here for Shelley, since she just moved to Barrow, how her experience is living in Barrow? I have read that you were excited to move, do you still have those same feelings? Are you enjoying living in Barrow? Tell me about your experience! I would also like others input on how it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska