Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:56 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
You may think it was a lie but the truth of the matter is you were not there then.
I was talking to people in Barrow then. And of course I know hundreds of people now who were here then. Do you really think that a reporter from NYC was then or is now in any way able to figure out what Barrow is? That's ridiculous!
Quote:
When I was working at Public Safety we used to go through the old police reports that were still around from the old Barrow City Police. I spent at least 12 hours over a period of time talking with Sadie Neakok about what life used to be like for the city police back in the day.
Wow, 12 hours talking about it!!! I'm impressed... or would be except that I probably spend 12 hours every single week talking about that with people who've lived here since the 1950's. We do a lot of that, drinking coffee and swapping tales.
Quote:
In the article she says:

Barrow, Alaska: Cold Frontier - TIME

Of the 700-odd arrests made by Barrow police over the past year, almost all were related to drinking. An important police chore during night hours in Barrow is getting drunken townspeople in from the freezing cold. "They're simply bored," says Mrs. Sadie Neakok, 51, the district magistrate in Barrow. "There's nothing better to do than get drunk."

That's the same thing she told me. Sure things have changed. But there is nothing wrong with learning about a place from a historical prespective. You need to get out more often.
Did I say that particular part of it was not true??? I don't think any of the quotes from Sadie were incorrect. (They were, however, somewhat out of context.)

But, if you haven't been here in 20 years and can't come up with anything that isn't 35 years old, and most significantly if it describes Barrow before the Pipeline was built, then it is you who should get out and open your eyes. The world changed dramatically! Barrow changed even more dramtically.

Keep in mind that before 1972 it was not Inupiat people who had control of the politics and money here, and after 1972 it was. During the 1950's and 1960's they were in a bitter fight to gain control. That basically ended in 1972 (with passage of ANCSA and formation of the North Slope Borough), and was almost wiped from the slate by the prosperity that Pudhoe Bay oil brought.
Quote:
And to the OP, good luck on your move. You'll enjoy it. Your husband shouldn't have any problem finding a job.

And for a little bit of current news you might check the Arctic Sounder since some of us don't like historical articles.
If you had posted it with some sort of indication that it was just "history", that would have been okay. But you didn't. That article requires a lot of knowledge to understand (and just for starters, you clearly do not have sufficient knowledge, so how would it be likely to help somebody who literally has none?).
Unfortunately I can't recommend that either. They get relatively little participation from the community. I'm hoping that the effect of the ADN no longer sending papers to Barrow will be a boost to the Arctic Sounder. That isn't necessarily going to happen, but if it does it would be good. I would point out that our trusty voice from Bethel, Warptman, has an opinion of the publisher which echos mine. At this time, they just don't produce much of a newspaper.

Last edited by Floyd_Davidson; 02-22-2009 at 04:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Floyd, how could it NOT be colder than Fairbanks? The proximity to the water can't possibly be enough to lessen the effect of the cold given the far more northern latitude. Or am I wrong?
The proximity effect of a large body of water, which acts as a heat sink, is well known, and is just as effective in the Arctic as anywhere else.

Barrow of course is on a point sticking out into the ocean, and is bordered on three sides by water. Hence the effects are great (and slightly different than would be found where the coast line is a straight line division between water on one side and land on another). The typical coastal wind pattern is that wind alternates between onshore and offshore, because the water doesn't change temperature but the land does. Barrow doesn't see much of that effect.

The far north latitude, and the fact that there is a mass of land to the south and a cold body of water to the north, gives Barrow a very cold and harsh climate. The average temperature, summer and winter, at Barrow is the coldest of any place in Alaska. But those same conditions also restrict the temperature swings. The coldest temperature ever recorded in Barrow is only -59F and the warmest is 79F. Virtually every location in the Interior gets colder and warmer on at least one day every year than the record temperatures in Barrow!

And that of course is a great demonstration of the moderating effects of a large body of water. But for those who live in Barrow there is an even greater indicator. The National Weather Service is located adjacent to the runway in Barrow, and the Automatic Weather Observation Station is located directly next to the runway (the end of which is merely years away from the Arctic Ocean), so the temperatures they provide are hugely affected by the ocean; but anyone here that travels inland by snowmachine or 4-W ATV finds that even 5 miles inland the temperature is very likely to be significantly lower in the winter!

Old 02-22-2009, 04:28 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,999,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
The proximity effect of a large body of water, which acts as a heat sink, is well known, and is just as effective in the Arctic as anywhere else.

Barrow of course is on a point sticking out into the ocean, and is bordered on three sides by water. Hence the effects are great (and slightly different than would be found where the coast line is a straight line division between water on one side and land on another). The typical coastal wind pattern is that wind alternates between onshore and offshore, because the water doesn't change temperature but the land does. Barrow doesn't see much of that effect.

The far north latitude, and the fact that there is a mass of land to the south and a cold body of water to the north, gives Barrow a very cold and harsh climate. The average temperature, summer and winter, at Barrow is the coldest of any place in Alaska. But those same conditions also restrict the temperature swings. The coldest temperature ever recorded in Barrow is only -59F and the warmest is 79F. Virtually every location in the Interior gets colder and warmer on at least one day every year than the record temperatures in Barrow!

And that of course is a great demonstration of the moderating effects of a large body of water. But for those who live in Barrow there is an even greater indicator. The National Weather Service is located adjacent to the runway in Barrow, and the Automatic Weather Observation Station is located directly next to the runway (the end of which is merely years away from the Arctic Ocean), so the temperatures they provide are hugely affected by the ocean; but anyone here that travels inland by snowmachine or 4-W ATV finds that even 5 miles inland the temperature is very likely to be significantly lower in the winter!
Ok. Thanks for the detailed summary.

I was a bit shocked by just how cold -35F weather here truly was, especially given the fact that my house is situated in a virtual wind tunnel. Those temps, combined with persistent high winds, was a bit of wake-up call.

My friends in the lower-48 laugh when I when I tell them that the current 30F+ temps are a heat wave. I feel like going outside in shorts and a wife-beater.

Edit: What sort of snowfall do you get there?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icu2rn View Post
I have already had an interview with the hospital and am awaiting a formal job offer after they check all my references. I am so excited about getting back to the basics. What can you tell me about the hospital? I am anxious to meet people in Barrow and learn about the local culture and customs.
Wellll... That's all a matter of opinion perhaps. :-)

You'll find this hospital is in many ways different than others, and in some ways the same. Of course being a small hospital, and particularly one in an out of the way location generally considered undesirable by doctors, it has some distinct quirks. Most of the work is ER. The basic approach is to get them out the door ASAP. Hopefully walking, but if not then into a Lear Jet and off to some place where somebody cares...

The funding and politics of health care in bush Alaska is an interesting topic, and the situation on the North Slope is a bit unique. In most locations the village clinics and the regional hospital are under the same management, which is a Native tribal organization. That is significant, because Tribes have sovereignty equal to the State of Alaska. In Barrow the North Slope Borough runs the clinics. The Arctic Slope Native Association runs the hospital. However, the regional Native corporation, Arctic Slope Regional Corporation, is a very powerful entity that basically controls ASNA. You might want to
chart that... it won't mean much right now, but it is important!

To my knowledge none of the other Native health corporations are that influenced by either a municipal government or by a regional Native corporation. Not that it is necessarily all bad though, just different and more complex.

Note that the North Slope Borough is funded by property taxes on infrastructure of the oil industry. More oil exploration and development means more money. (But higher oil prices has no direct effect on the Borough. The state, however, gets a royalty, so higher oil prices means more money.)

The Native health corporations however are federally funded via the Indian Health Service. Various treaties and the 1972 Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act traded Native owned land and resources (such as all of the oil at Prudhoe Bay) for health care. Today, while the US is pumping that oil as fast as they can, they aren't paying the "rent"... IHS has been funded at about 60% of need for the past 8 years.
Quote:
My husband will be looking for work after we arrive. He has alot of experience in factories, management, and warehousing. What kind of work is available for spouses of the nurses at the hospital?
I'm not really in a good position to give you advice on that. His administrative experience is what will be in demand here. Government of course is the major employer, but there are other opportunities too. It may take a few weeks to get a job, and it may take a year or so to get the "right" job, but that can all happen. The big thing is to come here, settle in, and become part of the community. Any job will do for a start, because that is the foot in the door that allows him to be considered for the other jobs.
Quote:
I am reading through the entire website here trying to find any topics regarding living in the bush. I definitely need to downsize what I will be bringing with me. I currently live in the desert, so alot of arctic gear will be needed.

Floyd, I sure do appreciate all you do on this forum. I have already read so many of your posts and all the information that you offer upon request. You are a valuable asset to your community. You an my husband would probably enjoy talking. I am constantly printing off posts on here and showing them to him. So far I am back to reading posts from 2007.
Thank you! Those are very kind words and I appreciate them greatly.

It does sound to me as if you are both a couple of practical folks, with a good measure of adventure in your soul. That is exactly what it requires to survive here. Keep in touch, and when you arrive here we'll all make sure your transition is smooth and enjoyable!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:36 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,686,730 times
What Sadie Neakok said wasn't taken out of context. Your just having a hard time excepting the truth of the matter. Go find some of these guys. They were all police officers with the old Barrow Police department during that time period.

Morris Oviok, David Pausanna, Walter Toorak, Bert Kanayurak, Clifford Nukapigak and Kenneth Okitkon. Maybe some of them are still around, I don't know. They were police officers back in 1971 and 1972.

Your right I haven't been there since 1998. And that was just for a 3 day visit. I'm sure things have changed. I'm not discouraging the OP. I think she'll do just fine. On the other hand you might try painting a picture that is a bit more realistic. Those rose colored glasses really need to come off sometime.

Let them know what a gallon of milk cost or a pound of oranges. Fill them in on the details and hardships of life so they can prepare themselves.

I'd say your description of the weather though is spot on.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
What Sadie Neakok said wasn't taken out of context.
It was. You may not know it, but that isn't a surprise. She answered their questions, but do you think they asked the right ones? How would anyone from NYC be able to understand an entirely different culture in 3 days? (Do you think someone from Barrow could analyze NYC any better???)

Quote:
Your just having a hard time excepting the truth of the matter.
A comment that fits what you are writing!

It's just hilarious that someone who lived here 30 some years ago, before the oil money came, and was never a real part of the community anyway, would claim to know what Barrow is today. Never mind the absurd idea that you should be telling a long time permanent resident that he doesn't know the "truth" about Barrow! What a hoot.
Quote:
Go find some of these guys. They were all police officers with the old Barrow Police department during that time period.

Morris Oviok, David Pausanna, Walter Toorak, Bert Kanayurak, Clifford Nukapigak and Kenneth Okitkon. Maybe some of them are still around, I don't know. They were police officers back in 1971 and 1972.
I talk every day to people who grew up here.
Quote:
Your right I haven't been there since 1998. And that was just for a 3 day visit. I'm sure things have changed.
You are admitting that you don't know what to tell someone who wants to move here.
Quote:
I'm not discouraging the OP.
Oh, of course not! That's why you cited a 35 year old bit of idiocy written by someone from NYC that had not a clue where they were! It was bulls* then and it is even more off the mark today.
Quote:
I think she'll do just fine. On the other hand you might try painting a picture that is a bit more realistic. Those rose colored glasses really need to come off sometime.
Facts are facts, stiffnecked, and the fact is that every day when I wake up and look outside I see what you don't: Barrow.
Quote:
Let them know what a gallon of milk cost or a pound of oranges. Fill them in on the details and hardships of life so they can prepare themselves.
The OP has been reading everything that I and others have written, which clearly would include lists of price tags and a variety of other similar topics that relate to how life is different here. There is no need to try to detail every last possible difference, and indeed doing so would be a ridiculously impossible task. The right thing to do is answer the questions they have, give them pointers on where else to look, and not muddy the waters with meaningless things like a list of 5 police officers you knew 35 years ago!
Quote:

I'd say your description of the weather though is spot on.
And just as accurate as my accessment of the culture and social aspects of life in Barrow. Except you wouldn't be able to tell if that is true or false... But the point is that for things where you actually can tell if I'm a good observer, "spot on" it is, and that is equally true of my ability to observe things you cannot judge.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:04 PM

36 posts, read 109,120 times
I have been talking with the nurse recuiter for the hospital and reading all the posts on this forum that concern living in Barrow. I am well aware that a gallon milk is $10, and a loaf of bread is $5 or so. I have thought long and hard about this giant leap I am about to embark on and I am going to do it. I spent my whole life in Ohio until 7 years ago. My husband was offered a transfer to Arizona. I went from being a small town girl who played in snow to a trauma nurse in the middle of the Arizona desert. I have adapted just fine.

We will be moving in July or August. This should give me ample time to get all my things in order. I have to acquire an Alaska nursing license which may take a few weeks. I need to think about what I want to bring with me, what I want to put into storage, and what I need to get rid of. I will be stocking up on spices and toiletries to bring with me.

Floyd, you have been such a big help. It is nice to see a resident be so passionate about his community. I realize I am not moving to the Bahamas. I know it is flipping cold, expensive, and different from anything I have ever experienced. However, that is exactly what I am looking for. If you can think of anything in particular that I need to purchase or stock-up on please feel free to share.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:05 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
Buy a sense of humor, you'll need it!

Old 02-22-2009, 12:08 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,686,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Buy a sense of humor, you'll need it!
Where do you buy a sense of humor at? Can we send one to Floyd?

Old 02-22-2009, 12:15 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
We could but shipping would kill us. The bush pays most for freight and commercial flights of anywhere in the states. The fuel surcharge is high, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska