Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:32 AM

773 posts, read 1,940,152 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

just wondering what a person would do, if they lived in a remote location and an emergency happened where they needed help. I was looking at these emergency locators and wondered if they would work for this scenario....or what does work? What is recommended?

Thanks for stopping by.

Sorry for the typo. I can't seem to change it (Emergencies)

Last edited by msta999; 12-07-2008 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 09:55 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,558 times
no offense, but the best answer I can give is that you live carefully. In some locations you are simply your own rescue service.
Having good relations with your neighbors helps more than you think.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:49 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Be careful, stay on good terms with neighbors, and have a way of communicating to outside help. If you have a life threatening situation it's a toss of the coin...you might survive until you can get out, or you might die.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:57 AM

So, not many have radios and such to communicate with neighbors? Seems to me, living remote would be a full time job in its self, with not much time to go 5 or more miles to visit your closest neighbor. I guess if a person lived on the water the distance could be covered quicker by boat, provided who you are going to see was also on the water. Maybe it is more like, when I was young we lived on a farm and dad would stop by other farms when in the area, just to see how they were doing and if they needed any help, and they would do the same for us. I can see where that would be a good thing.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:01 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
So, not many have radios and such to communicate with neighbors?
CB Radio and a 12 volt power supply.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:04 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Or a hand held aircraft radio, there's a lot of traffic in the sky. There is an emergency channel that most of the aircraft monitor or have one of their radios on, 121.5 is the international emergency channel in aviation.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:31 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
CB Radio and a 12 volt power supply.
CB radios do OK within a few miles of open space (no mountains or forests between two points). A better alternative would be a high power GRMS radio, and the best, a HAM radio. A license is required for the last two. I got a GRMS license a couple of years ago, and if I well remember should be good for five years. It costs $85.00 or so.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:42 PM

Thanks all.
I have been thinking of getting a ham radio license for a year or so, even bought the study guide. My thinking about this, is it is kind of hard to communicate with anyone in your area, if no one else is using what your using. Sounds like most in remote locations, just don't worry about it and figure they can deal with what ever comes up on their own. Thought there might be some type of communication system most in remote places use, weather it is CBs..... I guess one thing I overlooked, sounds like many have internet.

But I originally posted to see what people were using to signal for help, if they were.....say out hunting and got hurt somehow and couldn't make it out on their own. What is a good device to have. I have seen some emergency transponders or what ever they are called on ebay with varying prices. I just don't want to buy a semi truck, when all I need is a F150.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:47 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
Thanks all.
I have been thinking of getting a ham radio license for a year or so, even bought the study guide. My thinking about this, is it is kind of hard to communicate with anyone in your area, if no one else is using what your using. Sounds like most in remote locations, just don't worry about it and figure they can deal with what ever comes up on their own. Thought there might be some type of communication system most in remote places use, weather it is CBs..... I guess one thing I overlooked, sounds like many have internet.

But I originally posted to see what people were using to signal for help, if they were.....say out hunting and got hurt somehow and couldn't make it out on their own. What is a good device to have. I have seen some emergency transponders or what ever they are called on ebay with varying prices. I just don't want to buy a semi truck, when all I need is a F150.
All depends on where you are hunting at. For example, I hunt on some of the ridges not too far from Fairbanks (by Livingood), and keep an AM/FM radio in my tent to listen to. I also communicate with my family and friends while standing on high points on the trails using my cell phone. But I could not do the same if I were in the valley. However, from down there I would not have any problem whatsoever with a SAT phone. Also, a lot of boaters, skiers, snowmobilers, and flyers around Alaska use ELT's, but these can only be activated during an emergency.

Also, you can communicate with anybody who is on the air at the moment or listening to the HAM transmissions. In this case, you can provide the emergency details to whoever happens to listen and respond to your transmission, and that person can call the appropriate agency (s) that will get the ball rolling. With a SAT phone you may be able to communicate directly with the police or rescue, however.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-07-2008 at 04:56 PM..

Old 12-07-2008, 08:31 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Flares and a mirror, then stomp out an SOS in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska