Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 02:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why?
You'll find out soon enough, I am quite sure. I know CC fairly well....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 02:41 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,702,223 times
I've had Black bear burgers before.

Hopefully CC will take it easy

Old 12-03-2008, 02:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Hopefully CC will take it easy
Highly unlikely.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:47 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,702,223 times
I know someone going to be burried for life with that avalanche

Old 12-03-2008, 03:09 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well, hopefully people will share their recipes for grizzly meat.

Black bear can actually be good if prepared properly. Someone a couple of winters ago had a black bear roast; he roasted it in a pit like you would a pig. And black bear grease makes the best pie crust.

Uh...you ate a skunk?
Yeah black bear can be good I guess. I've had black bear cured like hams. I just like leaner, less greasy meat if I have a choice. Now the fat is useful stuff, I have some rendered down ready for making soap with...and it makes a nice cake shortening too.

Yes I ate a skunk once. I was hungry for meat and there was a skunk I had caught so...I managed to force most of it down but I'd have to be really desperate to do that again...

Old 12-03-2008, 03:16 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
I second that the picture is too graphic. If a bear ever chose to attack me,
which i thought would ever happen, I would defend myself with a gun. But that is the only reason. I wouldn't ever do overkill of an animal. Brown bears need to grow in numbers before they should be hunted. I know I know, you will come back with HEY! they are many around. But if it isn't 50 000 or more than its not many. And trust me I love meat, my favorite meat is still beef, pig then nothing after that. The other sort of meats rarely taste as good as beef or pig.
I don't really think as any wild animal as cute. Especially if it will kill me with complete ease. But those caribou or moose that get attacked by bears or wolves. Well thats nature for you. Humans shouldn't try to ruin it even more.
Okay, I'll probably be softer on you than CC will be...

Brown bears do not need to grow in numbers in Alaska, overall. There's a lot of brown bears in Alaska. Hunting of brown bears is more tightly regulated than black bear hunting too. Hunting them to extinction or endangerment won't be allowed to happen. And you can't just pick out a random number like 50,000 and say that's how many of an animal is needed. The population needs to remain at or below the carrying capacity of the habitat. That varies by area and even from one year to the next (or even shorter intervals of time).

Raising that livestock to eat is actually worse for the environment than hunting wild animals. Habitat is destroyed (indirectly killing wild animals), among other things, to raise livestock. Humans were meant to hunt (and gather), it's our correct place in the food chain (though sometimes we're also prey...). It's not "ruining" the wilderness when humans hunt.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:50 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
So...anyone have any good brown bear recipes?

Have any of you ever eaten grizzly meat?
I'm in Angoon now. I asked a couple of people I work with if they knew of any bear recipes and was told that they don't hunt bear here (Natives). Since I've been here (5 days), I've eaten locally killed/caught seal, deer, salmon, halibut and cockles. There are no moose on the island so I won't get to partake of that on the island.

I've not been here but a few days and am not an expert by any means so take this with a grain of salt. The island is very much a forest except for a small area. I don't see how anyway could raise livestock in any number here. AND, if they did, it would just be food for the hundreds (1600+) bear that live on the island. Hunting and fishing is the only way to get fresh meat other than having it shipped in and paying a fortune for it. I haven't been to the local store as of yet but I was warned that everything will be very expensive. Not a good thing for a community that has little local employment opportunities.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:51 PM

471 posts, read 1,327,708 times
Black bear is one of my favorite. A thick tenderloin steak marinaded in terioky (sp) sauce and wrapped in bacon then grilled.MMMMM!!!! Then the back quarters I like to hot smoke for about 30 min. then finish it off in the oven. Eat with your favorite BBQ sauce. MMMMMM GOOD!!!!! Never had grizzly yet. But I will try it if I get a chance to harvest one.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:58 PM

471 posts, read 1,327,708 times
I have heard of guys that grilled some grizzly meat up while on a hunt. It was off a fresh kill and they said it was great so they brought alot of it home. When they tried it at home they said it was very poor. Lesson is: any kind of meat is always better cooked under the stars.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:07 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Porcupine wasn't a whole lot better...
Porcupine can be delicious, especially porcupine curry.

I expect the coastal grizzlies to taste gross (on account of their fish diet), but the inland grizzlies should be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska