Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:53 PM

238 posts, read 863,764 times

Advertisements

It just occured to me tonight all the sticks for a cabin +car +boat +tools +wall tent + essentials could be brought from WA, put in a container and be hauled from a port to a job site. Anyone know where they stop along the way? Has anyone here ever shiped one? Much thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,859,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need2Leave View Post
It just occured to me tonight all the sticks for a cabin +car +boat +tools +wall tent + essentials could be brought from WA, put in a container and be hauled from a port to a job site. Anyone know where they stop along the way? Has anyone here ever shiped one? Much thanks for your help.
Unless you own a lumberyard - downsize and get what you need here, sell what is reasonable to sell....Not sure if cans float into Homer?? but am pretty sure they do in Anchorage, but then need to pay to transport the can....

Old 09-15-2008, 11:11 PM

Dang, realy... if everything goes all the way up to Anchorage first that sucks. It would be nice to save a buck on lumber, cement, car, etc. if possible though. I've heard there's some nice ground allong the way up.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:13 PM

It's also occured to me a guy could probably camp in a container for a few weeks while he builds a place

Old 09-15-2008, 11:22 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,859,035 times
Quote:
It's also occured to me a guy could probably camp in a container for a few weeks while he builds a place
My neighbor said he did that while building his house....Don't know if I would like being closed in one of those, not sure if can open/close from the inside....need to go look at ours...that could be bad

Old 09-16-2008, 08:55 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,327,228 times
Quote:
You could, but the cost would be prohibitive. First, you'd have to own your own can, or be there ready to unload promptly when it's delivered, or you get charged megabucks for keeping it overtime. If you own one, you'd still have to pay for the axles and tractor to haul it to/from the shipping points. You'd have to have a place ready to park it, otherwise it might end up sinking in muck next to the road. It's possible to live in one, either briefly or long term, but you'd definitely need a window and some amenities. Shipping costs would be astronomical - and the shipping companies have regs about what can be shipped inside what. You'd have to contact them for details, but the days of being able to stuff all your goods inside a station wagon and have them shipped for the cost of the car alone are long gone.

OTOH, it's pretty easy to get a spare can just about anywhere. They're all over the place, if you want one as a temporary shelter/shop. And they're cheaper than mobiles or RVs. Of course, they're also a lot less comfortable, but nothing's perfect.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:48 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
Northland Services

Give them a call. I'm not sure what the current rates are for a whole container but they are the most reasonable. I used to have a summer place in Nome that was constructed out of a 20 foot container. It sure beat a tent...

Old 09-16-2008, 10:30 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,966,617 times
Also ask about containers that they may be willing to sell.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:50 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,327,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Also ask about containers that they may be willing to sell.
It's usually a lot cheaper to get one from someone who's decided they don't need it anymore. As I recall, we paid something like 300.00 for ours, delivered, and that was less than 10 years ago.

Oh, and sold it again for 500.00 in 2000, and the guy who bought it picked it up.

Last edited by karibear; 09-16-2008 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: add

Old 09-16-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Northland Services

Give them a call. I'm not sure what the current rates are for a whole container but they are the most reasonable. I used to have a summer place in Nome that was constructed out of a 20 foot container. It sure beat a tent...
Thanks, I checked them out... they have the NE covered, but once they head north they just go straight to Anchorage. And good point on the cost for holding a container Keribear... gonna have to look into Pods, or Ryder, or someone else who rents as storage/shipping, might still be worth pricing it... sure would save some hastles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska