Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 10:30 PM

9 posts, read 69,265 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to visit Barrow on June 24th, should I stay there for 1 night or 2? Can i rent a car in Barrow to drive to Point Barrow? Is it possible to camp in Barrow in late June ( i worry the groud would be too soggy)?
My husband and I are intrigued with Eskimo culture and we are looking for a unique experience to stay with and learn a some local Eskimo family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 10:53 PM

872 posts, read 3,585,647 times
From what I've heard this appears to be the best hotel in Barrow.
kingeider.net/

These folks give tours of Barrow.
riversedge.net/barrow-alaska.htm

There are a few taxis and car rentals in town too.

And this is another thread asking about Barrow.
city-data.com/forum/alaska/345-anyone-barrow.html

Old 01-27-2007, 11:26 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
I would not plan on camping in Barrow. It's prime polar bear country. You'd be like a TV dinner!

Old 01-28-2007, 12:03 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,230,431 times
I second that. One of the things we do is take the truck to the dump to take pics when we're there. The King Eider is a great little hotel, but make sure you take your shoes off at the door.

I'm not sure what you'd like to see or do, but a night should give you enough time to at least see the main sights. Do take a picture of the sign posts with the various distances to different cities.

Have fun while you're up there, it really is a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:44 PM

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

Sounds like camping maybe hard to do in barrow so I'm gonna give up this idea.

Do you know if the car rental companies allow you to drive to Point Barrow? What about taxis? Do they take you to Point Barrow?

About Inuit food - we would love to try some Inuit food - seals/whales etc, but we don't know anyone in Barrow. Do you have any suggestion on where/how we can experience it during our stay in Barrow?

---------------
an unrelated question: has anyone done the Midnight Sun Run in Fairbanks? We are planning to run the 10k race on Saturday night then fly to Barrow the next morning. I'd love to hear your experience with the Midnight Sun Run.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:05 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,230,431 times
I don't know if there are any cars for rent in Barrow. I always utilized the cabs. There are a lot of summer houses for people who go there to get their summer subsistence hunt for birds and whale. I believe that snowy owl is one of the local delicacies.

As far as local food, inquire at the hotel. They might know of someone serving or selling muktuk.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:23 PM

I've eaten muktuk. Kinda like eating cold lard with a fishy flavor! Sliced paper thin while frozen seems to be the best. I have a native buddy that stir fries it with veggies. Alot of that stuff a typical white man (well any color man) cannot eat. To rich. And I hear tell polar bear liver will kill a normal person, because of the seal meat/fat they eat.
Here's a picture of some blubber I took last winter. The black being the skin...the white is the fat. It has a kind of sweet fishy smell to it.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:26 PM

Thanks Rance! Just add some wasabi and soy sauce and wrap it in a piece of seaweed i'm sure it will taste great! I'm a big Sushi fan.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:16 AM

I dabble with a little sushi every now and then (spicey tuna) along with California Rolls. This is nothing you want to wrap in seaweed! Just a paper thin slice goes a long way. When you get there...I'm sure you will find a local that can hook you up with many native delicacies.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:10 PM

872 posts, read 3,585,647 times
Probably has like 1500 calories per serving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska