Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:33 PM

222 posts, read 1,045,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by From_california View Post
Just add some wasabi and soy sauce and wrap it in a piece of seaweed i'm sure it will taste great! I'm a big Sushi fan.
Another Sushi fan here, I've tried just about everything the Sushi places around here have to offer. Heck I grew up in Louisiana eating raw oysters, if I can eat raw oysters Sushi was no problem for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 02:40 PM

9 posts, read 69,253 times
I read there is a Japanese restaurant in Barrow - Wondering what the selection is like? is there muktuk roll? Seal sashimi?

i'm planning to stay up for the entire 48 hours of my stay in Barrow to fully experience the arctic summer..but i'm worried that i'd be bored since I don't know anyone in town. Where do people hang out at night? Is there any place open at night?

Old 01-29-2007, 03:20 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I've never been there. I don't even know if they have a bar. I've only been to one sushi location in Anchorage. The Tempura Kitchen on Spenard Ave. I'm sure there are others in town.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:56 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Cholesterol to boot.

Am currently scheduling a late summer run to do some prevent. maint. on the Arctic Slope Teleph Co. gensets in 5 western villages as well as Barrow. Point Hope, Wainwright, and Atqasuk are all right. Nuiqsut and Point Lay are a drag.

After that, doing the east side with Anaktuvuk Pass and Kaktovik.

Barrow for a couple of layovers and a PM thrown in for good measure.

With luck, I'll be in one of the villages when they land a whale.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:21 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Like this?

Old 01-29-2007, 10:24 PM

Kaktovik?

I was there a couple of summers ago, and had no camera.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:27 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Nuiqsut and Point Lay are a drag.
I see your point.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:38 PM

306 posts, read 1,036,240 times
Heh, I have seen that photo. Its a little sad that it is on the index of the towns web page.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:28 PM

10 posts, read 63,263 times
it looks facinating there. I have downloaded many pictures and would love to visit. I live in the North East and when it gets 25 degrees I am freezing. how do they live there? what do they do for entertainment in Barrow? Are there movie theatres? any shopping malls? what is the population there and how many transplants as opposed to people born there and stay?

Old 01-30-2007, 10:03 PM

No shopping malls. There is a good sized supermarket, but I don't know of any movie theaters. People in Alaska (away from Anchorage tend to live a lot closer to nature and a lot closer to each other. I know of a good few transplants in Barrow, including Filipinos and Koreans. Ken's was a restaurant that served Chinese and American foods (steaks and burgers mainly). There is a Japanese restaurant, with some Korean dishes on the menu. A Mexican restaurant too.

Kids are all around town, driving snow machines and four-wheelers. They look to be pretty happy, but they have not, for the most part, spent a lot of time in Anchorage or Fairbanks, where there are a few malls and such. They don't require the constant fast paced input that we become addicted to as people growing up with it on a 24 hour basis.

Having said that, when they do see the outside, or know of it, not a few of them see no way out of bush life, and turn to alcohol and drugs, and the suicide rate in bush Alaska is unbelievable. Literally. In a group of villages in the Y-K delta, there were 20 suicides out of a total population of 2000 people. Not exaggerating. Look it up.

Suicide among native Americans and particularly among Yupi'k and Inuit groups is staggering, and one suicide can trigger another in the same village or another in the immediate area.

The consequences are staggering, and the spiral goes: depression, drugs (including huffing gasoline), suicide, which triggers depression and so on. The familes and villages are tied so closely, that one death affects EVERYONE in a village, and all close villages are tied by marriage and reationships.

I love the faces of the youngest, they always are smiling. I dread seeing a village in the aftermath, as I have seen entire families weeping over a loss one month past.

I never know what to do or say that isn't trite or meaningless. The best I can do is laugh when the kids laugh, because they let everything out when they do. They're among the happiest kids in the world when they're under 12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska