Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:41 PM

170 posts, read 983,855 times

Advertisements

So i also hear about deepsea fishing jobs in Alaska. Is this a big industry or is it a very select few who do it??

Do you just go up there with strong work ethic and hang around the docks looking for work?

Also i can't even imagine how cold it gets. Do people lose their fingers from frostbite when theyre out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 09:14 PM

20,303 posts, read 37,259,238 times
Alaska leads the nation on death at sea, primarily the fishing industry. Haven't you watched the TV show tittle "The Most Dangerous Jobs"?
One of the reasons why it's so dangerous is because of the extreme weather, from high winds to low temperatures. For some types of fishing in cold weather, the workers have survival suits, because if you drop in the water without one and still manage to float, the cold water numbs and kills you within a few minutes.
What are the Most Dangerous Jobs?

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-04-2008 at 09:22 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 08:39 PM

25 posts, read 79,380 times
I made it through 30 years of the 4th most dangerous job, Structural Ironworker. I moved to Alaska and now I work on Oil Platforms in Cook inlet. The job I do now isn't in the top ten of dangerous jobs, but flying on those Helicopter every week can't be that safe LOL.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:03 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,881,437 times
There has been a few threads created on this. Some have some links that may have some info you can use.

Seafood and Fishing Jobs in Alaska (http://www.labor.state.ak.us/esd_alaska_jobs/seafood.htm - broken link)

Old 02-06-2008, 02:04 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,192,905 times
Heres the big player in Unalaska...

UniSea, Inc.: Alaskan Seafood is our Business

Old 03-09-2008, 08:49 PM

7 posts, read 15,557 times
Default Fishing Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
Hmm I beleive you may have been a little mis informed. Mile 12 hill holds the weather in Seward, Moose Pass rarely receives the same weather seen in Seward. I agree there is no real work in Moose Pass just the way I like it as we are retired. They do have an elmentary school there in Moose Pass as my husband and brother in law attened. Once you hit 9th grade thou you will have to be bused into Seward, it is a long trip but I have several friends that grew up in the area even some from Cooper's Landing has to be bused into Seward. They chose to settle down in Moose Pass and take the drive into Seward for work. Not much difference than living in area's around Kenai, Sterling, Soldotna and finding work close by, most still have to travel. Nice thing about Moose Pass in the summer times we are not bombarded by tourist, the Kenai/Soldotna area turns into a HORRIBLE traffic jam during the fishing season.

The only thing that I really don't care that much about Moose Pass is we have a lot of hippy's granted I was once one myself, but I did grow out of it, but they are very pleasant
HI, THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON THIS SIGHT, I HOPE IM DOING THIS CORRECT. IM ACTUALLY ASKING ANYONE FOR ADVISE FOR MY SON, HE IS WANTING TO COME TO ALASKA THIS SPRING FOR A FISHING JOB. HE IS 26 YEARS OLD A VERY HARD WORKER. RIGHT NOW HE IS LIVING IN GRANTS PASS OR. WAS WORKING FOR THE GRAYBACK FORESTRY , AS A FIREFIGHTER ON WILD FIRES, HE WAS DOWN HERE IN CALIF. THIS SUMMER WHEN WE WERE ON FIRE. SINCE FIRE SEASON IS OVER HE IS LOOKING FOR ANOTHER EXPERIENCE AND IS CHOOSING FISHING IN ALASKA. SINCE HE DOES NOT HAVE A COMPUTER ,I TOLD HIM I WOULD CHECK IT OUT. CAN SOMEONE TELL US WHERE WOULD BE THE BEST PLACE TO LOOK, AND WHAT ABOUT HOUSEING, IS IT PROVIDED OR SHOULD HE GET A APT. WHILE LOOKING. I DONT WANT HIM GOING UP AND JUST ROAMING THE STREETS AND FREEZING TO DEATH... THANKS TANYA MOM

Old 03-09-2008, 08:55 PM

Hi, This Is My First Time On This Sight, I Hope Im Doing This Correct. Im Actually Asking Anyone For Advise For My Son, He Is Wanting To Come To Alaska This Spring For A Fishing Job. He Is 26 Years Old A Very Hard Worker. Right Now He Is Living In Grants Pass Or. Was Working For The Grayback Forestry , As A Firefighter On Wild Fires, He Was Down Here In Calif. This Summer When We Were On Fire. Since Fire Season Is Over He Is Looking For Another Experience And Is Choosing Fishing In Alaska. Since He Does Not Have A Computer ,i Told Him I Would Check It Out. Can Someone Tell Us Where Would Be The Best Place To Look, And What About Houseing, Is It Provided Or Should He Get A Apt. While Looking. I Dont Want Him Going Up And Just Roaming The Streets And Freezing To Death... Thanks Tanya Mom

Old 03-10-2008, 02:25 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,881,437 times
Try the search feature on this forum for fishing jobs and such. There are 4 or 5 threads already pertaining to this subject. He can probably get on a boat in the Kenai area for drifting salmon. But wages are low. And unless he pays his own way to Dutch harbor and hangs out on the docks...chances are slim he will get hired sight unseen.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:35 PM

Dutch Harbor,Ok thanks alot Rance.are there alot of places to find houseing ?

Old 03-10-2008, 07:41 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,827,248 times
OK. Read some of the fishing threads. Then let your son know that there are other options for summer work in Alaska.

My son was born and raised in this state and even though he is 23 now, I would do anything in my power to dissuade him from working on a fishing boat--and he does has viable contacts that would ensure him a job on a boat. Thankfully, he knows better and I don't have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska