Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 12:07 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,303 times

Advertisements

Sunlight doesn't effect our kids unless we allow it to. We have bed times. Windows in bedrooms have blackout curtains. Rooms are dark.

So if the cost to get to Alaska is a reason you think no one wants to live here, why do you think a city would work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 12:40 AM

962 posts, read 631,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Sunlight doesn't effect our kids unless we allow it to. We have bed times. Windows in bedrooms have blackout curtains. Rooms are dark.

So if the cost to get to Alaska is a reason you think no one wants to live here, why do you think a city would work?
People tend to be more socially integrated in urban areas than in rural areas. It's easier to make friends in urban areas, and there are more opportunities and more things to do. There are more jobs, and most cities usually have their own attractions. Conversely, some small towns can also allow easier opportunities to make friends since it's just a small group of people in town that mostly know each other and watch over each other but tend to be boring. Anyway, urban living is better suited for those who are extroverted and spend a lot of time outside of the house.

I didn't know this would be something that would make half the posters here become mad at me; I've thought about this extensively even many months before I started using C-D.

And if there were major metropolitan areas there, maybe several groups of family/friends could move there together, and still be within a reasonable distance to visit each other, especially during major holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas. I was referring to the cost of repetitive trips in and out the state to go see family, not just to get there once in a while.

Anchorage isn't even really a city...in the very old days, it used to be a jumble of many towns that were consolidated into a municipality, I say this because of people saying that there are several parts of Anchorage.

I forgot to add another concern...inability to celebrate the 4th of July because it's not really dark enough in most of the state for fireworks. And just because of separation from everything else, shipping things to Alaska and Hawaii cost more. But at least Alaska's connected to Canada separating it from the lower 48, so a hub should be placed in Yukon regardless, to reduce the trouble of shipping.

Last edited by It is 57 below zero; 09-13-2015 at 12:50 AM..

Old 09-13-2015, 06:56 AM

195 posts, read 278,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
I don't know of any other state that has a community with no road, except maybe Key West, which is an island south of the Florida mainland. If you can find another state that has a town with no road access, let me know.
Michigan has two remote communities that are not on the road system. I know this because I split my time between AK and one of these communities. If I can think of two just off the top of my head I am sure there are others. Also, there are plenty of states without big cities because of both logistics and population size. To reference Michigan again, look at the UP. Marquette is the biggest city and it only has 30,000 people and a limited road system. Places out west face similar issues of remoteness and isolation. It doesn't just happen in AK. It just happens on a larger scale here.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:52 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,628,363 times
57, cities grow when there's an economic reason to grow. Companies expand, and hire from outside the immediate area when they can't find enough qualified workers locally. Ancillary industries grow in the area to support them and be close to their customers.

Perhaps a better question would be, what growth industries would it make sense to locate in Alaska?

Old 09-13-2015, 09:23 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:

Anchorage isn't even really a city...in the very old days, it used to be a jumble of many towns that were consolidated into a municipality, I say this because of people saying that there are several parts of Anchorage.
Another thing that you're completely wrong about. Anchorage started out as a tent city for railroad workers and not as a "jumble of many towns." Perhaps you think that because it has different neighborhoods -- like any other city -- that they all used to be separate towns, but that isn't true.

I've never seen one poster spread so much BS and misinformation here as you have, and this is why your comments are getting so many negative responses. I'm not saying this because I'm "mad" at you or even to put you down -- I'm saying it in the hopes that those coming here looking for real information about Alaska don't mistake you for someone who knows what he's talking about.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-13-2015 at 09:34 AM..

Old 09-13-2015, 09:34 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Are you referring to the area around Bethel (southwestern region), which has towns with unexplained water gaps sitting right in the middle of the streets?

It's entirely possible to be in a remote area and still have a road. Some rural states, like Montana or Wyoming, or South Dakota, have mostly small towns that are hours away from each other. Like a 3+ hour drive from each other.
I get the feeling you have no clue just how big Alaska is or how harsh the weather can be. The cost vs benefit of building roads which would get so little use and have huge maintenance costs is not realistic.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:09 AM

962 posts, read 631,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Another thing that you're completely wrong about. Anchorage started out as a tent city for railroad workers and not as a "jumble of many towns." Perhaps you think that because it has different neighborhoods -- like any other city -- that they all used to be separate towns, but that isn't true.

I've never seen one poster spread so much BS and misinformation here as you have, and this is why your comments are getting so many negative responses. I'm not saying this because I'm "mad" at you or even to put you down -- I'm saying it in the hopes that those coming here looking for real information about Alaska don't mistake you for someone who knows what he's talking about.
People refer to certain neighborhoods of the city as suburbs themselves. That's not me who said that, other articles I've read online, had some people say that. So that statement didn't come from me originally.

Most of the information and advice I give generally is from reading about it online.

Last edited by It is 57 below zero; 09-13-2015 at 11:23 AM..

Old 09-13-2015, 11:37 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
I have never heard anyone refer to Government Hill, Fairview, or any other Anchorage neighborhood as a suburb. They are not suburbs. They are neighborhoods. All cities have them. Again, Anchorage was founded as a tent city for railroad workers. It incorporated as a town in 1920, and that was only six years after the tent city sprang up. Not much time for a "jumble of towns" to develop.

I don't know or care where you're getting the misinformation that you're flooding this forum with. Try fact checking instead of blindly believing what you read online if you want to be seen as credible. I'm not trying to be mean, but the negative reactions you're getting here is because you're posting bs.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-13-2015 at 11:49 AM..

Old 09-13-2015, 11:59 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,303 times
Quote:

Most of the information and advice I give generally is from reading about it online.
And most the information we give is from real life Alaskan experienced and knowledge.

How old are you?

Old 09-13-2015, 12:29 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,935,073 times
How is a guy that lives in Illinois such an expert on Alaska?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska