Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 10:04 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
Are you referring to the area around Bethel (southwestern region), which has towns with unexplained water gaps sitting right in the middle of the streets?

It's entirely possible to be in a remote area and still have a road. Some rural states, like Montana or Wyoming, or South Dakota, have mostly small towns that are hours away from each other.
I'm farther south than Bethel. I am in south west Alaska though. Here's the deal though. Even farther north the tundra is the same. The interior region of Alaska is possibly the most remote area. Comparable to Siberia region of Russia. How's the infrastructure in Siberia region?

When I lived in an interior/western Alaska village our environment was delta type. We had tundra and swamps. We looked into building a trail between our three schools on the Yukon river. We didn't have the funds to build or maintain a trail that was useable in non winter months. Read up on the Iditarod race. More than likely the proposed road would run along the route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 10:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:

It's entirely possible to be in a remote area and still have a road. Some rural states, like Montana or Wyoming, or South Dakota, have mostly small towns that are hours away from each other. Like a 3+ hour drive from each other.
Wow. 3+ hours? That's rough.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Are you referring to the area around Bethel (southwestern region), which has towns with unexplained water gaps sitting right in the middle of the streets?

It's entirely possible to be in a remote area and still have a road. Some rural states, like Montana or Wyoming, or South Dakota, have mostly small towns that are hours away from each other. Like a 3+ hour drive from each other.
I just drive from Atlanta to Seattle to place our car on a barge. We went through Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Idaho, Oregon and Washington. There were plenty of remote areas on that drive. 100 miles between towns sometimes. Big difference though in climate. Solid ground is kind of a needed component of building durable roads. Much of Alaska doesn't offer that solid ground.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:10 PM

57 below let me ask you:

Why do you think there are no big cities here? Not many roads?

Old 09-12-2015, 10:14 PM

962 posts, read 631,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Wow. 3+ hours? That's rough.
I was just trying to tell the other poster that a town does not have to have a lack of road access to be remote. Nor do I know any towns outside of Alaska that exist without road access except maybe a few isolated islands.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:18 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
57 below let me ask you:

Probably won't get an answer, you are asking him to think.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I was just trying to tell the other poster that a town does not have to have a lack of road access to be remote. Nor do I know any towns outside of Alaska that exist without road access except maybe a few isolated islands.
That other poster lives in the interior. Honestly we Alaskans know remote and rural exist outside of Alaska, but there's a difference between remote with a road vs. remote without a road. It's not the same. Sorry.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
In Alaska, remote means no road access. It might mean something different in the -48 -- I've noticed that a lot of people refer to places that are 25 or so miles away from the nearest shopping center as "remote."

We've already explained to you ad nauseum why roads aren't feasible in many parts of Alaska, but it's obviously something that you can't understand.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:22 PM

And...as far as the other poster you were trying to explain Alaska to, he was born in Alaska. You, on the other hand, have never set foot in the state and probably never will.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:37 PM

962 posts, read 631,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
57 below let me ask you:

Because it seems like there's a much lower percentage of cold lovers than there are heat lovers, yet more people would still rather stay in places like Texas and Florida and Arizona, or for some reason (idk why), find heat easier to deal with, than cold. But I'm confused by this because a recent poll about this I put up elsewhere, more people voted in favor of cold weather on C-D at least.

One reason I could guess (related to parenting) is that if they have small children, they would rather spare themselves from the trouble of children losing sleep over the almost 24-hour sunlight in the summer, maybe? Or because in the winter when the sun may not rise until at least 10AM, they wouldn't want their young children walking to school in the dark, even though it's considered a morning hour, by definition.

Or because of the travel from Alaska from the regular 48 states, is lengthy and expensive, to see other family outside of the state. And as a result, Alaska and Hawaii are taken less serious and are low on priority lists (albeit they are still part of the USA).

I'll say that many of the isolated villages don't want roads because of potential harassment from other strangers, from what I've been told.

Last edited by It is 57 below zero; 09-12-2015 at 11:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska