Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 03:49 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,048,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Internet on the ferry would truly be manna from heaven.
Now all they need to do is mount a web cam on the bow,

...then you wouldn't even have to take your eyes off that screen to look around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 06:46 PM

201 posts, read 823,365 times
The Tusty has wifi!! Woot!! We did the 12 hour run from here to Whittier last week and wifi was awesome. It ALMOST made up for the fact our fast ferry is gone for the season. It's $12.95 for a one day pass, and you can also opt for a 1 hour or 1 week pass.

They did NOT have it on the Matanuska or Chenega as of last summer, I asked while on board... the purser told me the Tustumena and one other I forget, have it currently.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:57 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,891,655 times
The Malaspina was the one that I was on. They did not charge but I wouldn't have bought it if they did. It was very unreliable... but a nice feature so long as it's free!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:17 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,969,096 times
Is the Dead Dog Saloon in Wasilla still around? Every time I click on its web address I get a page for some Alaska swingers group.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:54 PM

3 posts, read 10,229 times
Talking wow that is great

[quote=barnacle9;2200223]Funny, I was working in the room right behind the sign when you took the picture.

The city hangs any banners they put up on our light pole upside down as well - we thought about doing upside down Christmas decorations, but . . .

There are quite a few good legends about the Alaskan since it is the same age as Cordova, and has operated continuously since the town was built here on this site in 1908.

Thanks for the advertisement

Come in the bar sometime . . .[/QUOfunny i was there too working when i went to go visit my grandson in your world

Old 01-28-2008, 05:56 PM

Talking wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariusmom View Post
Hey Barnacle- we don't get out often but when we do, we always pick the Alaskan! Do you work in the bar or the store? I was in the store tonight, picked up a 6 of IPA...

We actually heard about it way back when we were in South Carolina, a guy we knew there had been up here on a job and had found the Alaskan and heard the story of the bar being imported back at the turn of the 19th/20th century. Neat stuff!
oh wow that is great

Old 01-28-2008, 06:00 PM

ok wow that is greatttttttttttttttttttt ****en great dudedddddddddddddddde

Old 01-29-2008, 10:49 PM

5 posts, read 17,686 times
Default Kodiak pubs

Used to hang out during the weekends in the late sixties and early seventies at Solly's in Kodiak. They had great bands, and I always got a kick out of the ships bells in the pubs there. If someone rang the bell, they bought the house a round; it could be a fisherman calling from Seattle who would have the bartender ring the bell, and then settle up with Sid or Marty when they got back into town. Johnny and Julie Roberts worked there back in the day. The Beachcombers, an old beached ocean liner had great food and show bands from the Vegas and California circuit.
Also, Ron Don's and the Crazy Moose in Anchorage were fun, and the Chef's Inn had good steaks.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:43 AM

1 posts, read 881 times
I'm from Virginia and when I think back to visiting Cordova in the 80's, a few things I remember are arriving there on the ferry Tustumena (does she still stop in Cordova?), the upside-down sign at the Alaskan and staying upstairs there overnight with one bathroom for the entire floor (as far as I could tell), and walking to the airport and on the way there, seeing my first wild porcupine (down here we have opossums lol).

Old 10-23-2018, 11:14 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,619,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowLLLTigeRRR View Post
I remember are arriving there on the ferry Tustumena (does she still stop in Cordova?)
Cordova is now served from Valdez or Whittier by the Chenga (fast ferry) or the Aurora.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska