Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:22 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Is it just me, or am I not mentally endowed enough to understand the logic here?
Yes, it is just you, because you are the only one trying to fit that ^#&%ing law into a framework that is at all logical!
To be honest, I admire the State's efforts to cut back on rampant alcoholism, including among the under-aged, I really do, because it's a big problem. I don't, however, think that this is the best way of going about it.
Really, the worst part about it is that restaurants (at least CBJ ones) get really persnickity about it. If you look like you might be under 21, you'd better bring your ID with you when you go to the washroom, because they will ask if they see you alone. If you're under 21, you have to order takeout, and don't you dare take even one step inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 06:20 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Dusty, we used to have a age 19 drinking law just after your time in Nam, for the reasons you stated, we coud vote, go to war, but not buy a beer or 22 shells. Well The voters passed it, then after several years some wiser old timer decided that the young were having too much fun and underage drinking was becoming an issure. So up it went. Well from what I have seen over the years they have not resolved the underage drinking one bit.

Xa'at, you still bobbing like a cork in the ocean?

Old 01-06-2008, 06:28 PM

Of course!
I'm about an hour south of Wrangell right now. It's dark already, (gah!) so I won't get to see it very much, but that's okay. I'm a little tired after all the wild partying I did in Ketch.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:31 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Of course!
I'm about an hour south of Wrangell right now. It's dark already, (gah!) so I won't get to see it very much, but that's okay. I'm a little tired after all the wild partying I did in Ketch.
So I guess we can all quit worrying about the "poor starving student".

Old 01-06-2008, 06:42 PM

Feel free to keep worrying. What really happened is that I caught a cab to take me to Creek Street, spent some time there, then I walked around a little downtown. The whole place was pretty deserted (granted, it was like 7 am on a sunday morning in January!) but overall it was very pretty. My taxi driver was third generation Ketchikani, and he told me a bunch of neat stuff about the towns history and such After I'd seen the downtown sights and had a great french toast breakfast at this little hole in the wall place (yes, I took a pic for the "hole in the wall" thread), I walked the two or three something miles back to the ferry terminal, stopping along the way in Safeway to get a hot cocoa from starbucks.
I took a ton of pictures, but my internet connection isn't stable enough to upload them to flickr right now. I'll do it when I get to Juneau.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:58 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Welcome back anyway

You can buy me lunch on my next trip to Juneau... Better still, I'll be on perdiem and you can tell me where to go (and where to get off!), and I'll meet you there and pay for it.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Do you mean to say that they have internet service on the ferry and I was unaware of that the last time I rode it down from Skagway and had to spend all my time reading when I could have been terrorizing the internet?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Lol, just for the irony of it, I don't drink. I've seen enough of people acting really stupid under the influence of substance alcohol, have acted stupidly (some say it wasn't an act) myself.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Do you mean to say that they have internet service on the ferry and I was unaware of that the last time I rode it down from Skagway and had to spend all my time reading when I could have been terrorizing the internet?
Depends on the ship. I asked the purser "what gives?" and the answer I got is that they've been beta testing a method of getting internet to the ferry, using a dish that moves around, tracking the satellites. Apparently it was very expensive for them to do, but it's not anywhere near reliable enough to advertise. Eventually, when they get it fine tuned, they will probably charge for it.
In the meantime, it's free. Next time you ride the ferry, bring a network card- it's the "Strix Wireless Network". It's slow, and cuts in and out so programs that require a constant connection are out- instant messengers don't work, nor does my "flickr uploadr". However, if you are patient (and lucky) you can browse the internet.

Last edited by Xa'at; 01-06-2008 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: better "facts" smilie

Old 01-06-2008, 09:16 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Internet on the ferry would truly be manna from heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska