Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 03:59 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,349 times

Advertisements

I got an email from the USAJOBS website. My application has been forwarded. I guess the FAA is not too concerned about the fiscal cliff.

I turned down a job last spring for Fairbanks. Looking back, that was a bad choice. The two places that my application has been forwarded for were for Juneau and Anchorage. The Fairbanks job would have been pretty cool. I suspect the Anchorage and Juneau jobs will be as well. However, I suspect that the Juneau job will have less days away from home.

(I rate cool as flying off to a remote base, then moving around the bush fixing stuff. Uncool is showing up at the same office everyday.)

Anyway, after following this forum for a year or so, it seems that the folks in Fairbanks are happier over all. Looking at climate charts you wouldn't think it. But that is my totally unscientific impression.

I have traveled all over the world. Lived on the East Coast in New York and D.C., my car still starts missing and running bad when I cross the Mississippi River heading east.

I lived in Seattle for a few months one winter. I liked it. It was 1981, and I don't think I ever met a native of Seattle, but I found everyone there to be a great deal more friendly than Houston or Mobile Al.

I lived a couple of years in Hong Kong. It stressed me out. I think if I were to leave the country again and I had my own choice, it would be to go to Africa. That certainly was not what I thought I would say when I first started traveling. This the reason for the post. The idea and the reality of a place are seldom the same. As well as visiting and living or rarely the same. I started this whole search in an effort to move to a cooler place with mountains and with a more challenging job. (This particular job lets me pick up on some years of U.S. Government service.)

The questions will probably be moot, I believe I will take the position offered, but I am curious. Which do you guys think is better?

Anchorage, it seems like a big city to me, (Currently living in a town of 25,000.) and it seems to be a wet cold.

Fairbanks, it seems big, but not so big you can't leave, and it gets really cold, but the summers rock and the cold is really dry.

Juneau, it seems like the right size, but the endless rain may be depressing. On the other hand I really like being on the water.

Like I said, I am moving for the job. The one I have is more financially rewarding, but it bores me to tears. So, the job is thing, the cooler summers are just a bonus.

Thoughts welcome.

Cheers
Qazulight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 04:38 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
I've lived in southeast, south central and the interior... Juneau is beautiful when it's not raining... Which isn't very often. Anchorage is the big city, but in just an hour or so you can be in Alaska. Fairbanks is the land of extremes.
I live in the MatSu Valley an hour north of Anchorage. About 40% of the 70,000 residents commute into Anchorage for work. Fortunately I don't have to commute... This is my first choice of places to live in Alaska. Second would be Juneau, and Fairbanks would be 3rd.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:00 PM

96 posts, read 221,726 times
I haven't been to Juneau but prefer Fairbanks over Anchorage (I live in Anchorage).

Old 01-01-2013, 05:13 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
While Anchorage much a city, Fairbanks is much like a town spread out into neighborhoods. Anchorage has a well organized and large city center with big buildings and cervices, while Fairbanks' center is tiny by comparison, and the cervices are limited to a few city blocks.

If you want rural, then Fairbanks. If you want city and all the things found in such, then Anchorage. Juneau is much like small city, but isolated from the rest of Alaska. The highest cost of living is in Fairbanks, then Juneau, and Anchorage the lowest.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:36 PM

3 posts, read 12,140 times
Smile Sitka, Alaska

Have you thought about living in Sitka? I've been there 4 times and really like it. If I could find a job there I'd relocate. Currently live and work in upstate New York--
Fran

Old 01-01-2013, 07:54 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
I apologize for writing "cervices" above. It should have been "services."

Old 01-01-2013, 09:43 PM

17 posts, read 43,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I've lived in southeast, south central and the interior... Juneau is beautiful when it's not raining... Which isn't very often. Anchorage is the big city, but in just an hour or so you can be in Alaska. Fairbanks is the land of extremes.
I live in the MatSu Valley an hour north of Anchorage. About 40% of the 70,000 residents commute into Anchorage for work. Fortunately I don't have to commute... This is my first choice of places to live in Alaska. Second would be Juneau, and Fairbanks would be 3rd.
I am sorry for the stupid question. What do you meand you can be in Alaska in just an hour?

Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 PM

406 posts, read 756,375 times
Alaska is full up no vacancy!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:51 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickmunk81 View Post
I am sorry for the stupid question. What do you meand you can be in Alaska in just an hour?
It means Anchorage is very close to various outdoor places that are more typically "Alaskan" in nature.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:12 PM

17 posts, read 43,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
It means Anchorage is very close to various outdoor places that are more typically "Alaskan" in nature.
Gotcha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska