Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:40 PM

48 posts, read 111,304 times

Advertisements

Greetings all!

My wife and I are a 30-something health professional couple (no kids, yet) who are looking to move up to Alaska. We should be making over $100K annually and have several opportunities- Kenai, Juneau, Fairbanks, and Anchorage.

Currently, we live in a small rural town in Northern CA with a population of 3000. We like the small town feel and would like something similar, though we can live near the larger cities if need be (we both grew up in the LA area). We want someplace safe to raise a family and spend the rest of our lives. We love outdoor activities. While we plan to rent initially, we would like to buy a home that has some acreage (5 or more). Finally, we would like someplace that has decent Asian restaurants (particularly Thai, Vietnamese and Korean).

From what I gather on the boards here, Kenai may fit the best, since there is enough space to get a home on acreage and we are still within driving distance of Anchorage if we really need to go to the big city.

Juneau seems nice for the relatively temperate climate, though I am not sure if I will get island fever not being able to get in the car and drive somewhere.

I am concerned about crime in Anchorage and the crowds.

I don't know much abbot Fairbanks, other than it probably has the worse winters of our choices.

Any and all advice is most appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 06:13 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,753,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danisiri View Post
Greetings all!

My wife and I are a 30-something health professional couple (no kids, yet) who are looking to move up to Alaska. We should be making over $100K annually and have several opportunities- Kenai, Juneau, Fairbanks, and Anchorage.

Currently, we live in a small rural town in Northern CA with a population of 3000. We like the small town feel and would like something similar, though we can live near the larger cities if need be (we both grew up in the LA area). We want someplace safe to raise a family and spend the rest of our lives. We love outdoor activities. While we plan to rent initially, we would like to buy a home that has some acreage (5 or more). Finally, we would like someplace that has decent Asian restaurants (particularly Thai, Vietnamese and Korean).

From what I gather on the boards here, Kenai may fit the best, since there is enough space to get a home on acreage and we are still within driving distance of Anchorage if we really need to go to the big city.

Juneau seems nice for the relatively temperate climate, though I am not sure if I will get island fever not being able to get in the car and drive somewhere.

I am concerned about crime in Anchorage and the crowds.

I don't know much abbot Fairbanks, other than it probably has the worse winters of our choices.

ummm...you have been offered that kind of income in AK in the medical field, unless you are doctors, not so sure about that.
from Kenai...it is about 2 1/2 hr to 3 hour drive with off season traffic...tourist season or an accidnt can take anywhere from that to 24 hours .....decent Asian restaurants (particularly Thai, Vietnamese and Korean) not currently in Kenai or on the Peninsula...
note: this is news today: http://newsminer.com/bookmark/16075138/article-Relatively+warm+temperatures+snow+cause+problems+o n+Fairbanks+roads#.TpzB_KxmA74.facebook (broken link)

Old 10-17-2011, 06:19 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,448,278 times
I'm just curious here...you want this and that...actually what you are leaving to be in Alaska. Then I have to wonder why you want to move to Ak? Just sayin.....

Old 10-17-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I'm just curious here...you want this and that...actually what you are leaving to be in Alaska. Then I have to wonder why you want to move to Ak? Just sayin.....
seriously....people want to be in AK but want everything that they have right where they are so in time they destroy AK into what they want to get away from!

Old 10-17-2011, 06:25 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,448,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
seriously....people want to be in AK but want everything that they have right where they are so in time they destroy AK into what they want to get away from!
Exactly. You think they'd look forward to something new and different.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Exactly. You think they'd look forward to something new and different.
oh they want something new and different but want all the comforts that they are use to....daaaahhhh...

Old 10-17-2011, 06:40 PM

863 posts, read 2,080,445 times
Not that it's necessarily your best overall choice, but Fairbanks has an odd obsession with Thai food... There's something like 7 Thai restaurants in a region with an overall population of only 90,000... Good Chinese and Japanese too. No Indian though, which always bugged me...

Old 10-17-2011, 06:49 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,033,757 times
Quote:
Finally, we would like someplace that has decent Asian restaurants (particularly Thai, Vietnamese and Korean).
To get all three of those together in AK, you are pretty much limited to Anchorage. Sadly, there isn't any Chinese food corresponding to that level here though.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:22 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,707,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
ummm...you have been offered that kind of income in AK in the medical field, unless you are doctors, not so sure about that.
If they are both RN's they can easily make way more then 100K.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:26 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,707,777 times
Quote:
We want someplace safe to raise a family and spend the rest of our lives. We love outdoor activities. While we plan to rent initially, we would like to buy a home that has some acreage (5 or more). Finally, we would like someplace that has decent Asian restaurants (particularly Thai, Vietnamese and Korean).

Stay where you are at. That would be my advice. Sounds like you have everything you already want/need right there. Why would you need more then a couple of acres of land anyway? In the winter when it's snow covered what are you gonna do with it? Grow ice rice, maybe???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska