Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 06:06 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,684,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskansonya View Post
Okay now if i can just figure out how to get the photos to show up and post!!
Hi Sonya... There are two ways to post images, and what you get is a little different with each.

First, you can load an image directly from your computer by looking down below the editor window, while you are writing an article, and mouse clicking on the button that says "Manage Attachments". That will pop up another window, with a method to either search for images on your computer, or a place to simply enter the path to the file you want to upload.

The way it works is wierd though. I have done that already with an image in this article, but it doesn't show up until the end of the text, and then it is a thumbnail which a reader needs to click on to see full size. Several images can be attached to one article, but there is no way to write text between between them or in any way attach the text directly to the image. They always show up at the end, and they always come one after the other with no space between.

But, one very valuable characteristic of using an attachment is that the image is uploaded to the forum, and it is kept as part of the message archives and will always be there.

The second method looks nicer, and you can put text after it. Here is an example:

Okay, now here is the line of text that caused that image to appear
there:

[img]http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson/akforum/dsc_2984.s.jpg[/img]

The disadvantage of that method is that if the URL linked to is not there, the image will not show up here. So if I ever delete that file from my webpage, it will be gone on this forum too (replaced by a blank line).

Below this last line of text there will be a thumbnail, due to having clicked on the "Manage Attachments" button and entering the name of the file on my home computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Some recent AK photo's-dsc_2984.s.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 07:09 AM

94 posts, read 268,014 times
Actually there is a third way. If you find a pik somewhere on the web that you want to post here you can link directly to it. When someone on this website looks at it, it is actually being retrieved automatically from the original location and displayed (copied) here.

Technically it works the same way as storing your own photos on Image Shack, Photo Bucket, etc., but by linking to an existing image at a remote site you don't have to save the pik to your hard drive then upload it to your hosting service which after a while can get really cluttered.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:17 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,950,051 times

Turnagain Arm

Old 04-16-2008, 07:49 AM

94 posts, read 268,014 times
Bee-yoot-i-ful!!

Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 PM

48 posts, read 206,169 times
Ya'll need to put some of these photos on google earth so that I can know where they are to plan my weekend trips when I get up there.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,152 times
Default Wow

Hey, colleagues! I`m from russian Magadan city, twin city of Anchorage. So I`ld like to ask you to send those pics in large scale for desktop, instead Ill do the same but with our sceneries!

Old 04-16-2008, 08:53 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,950,051 times
Let's see what you got!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:07 PM

11,839 posts, read 29,045,767 times
Post away omolon!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:33 AM

287 posts, read 900,189 times
Would someone mind taking a pic at 1pm, anywhere in Alaska, maybe from Anchorage and Fairbanks? What I'm looking for is how much sunlight Alaska gets at 1 pm this time of the year. My children are very curious (and I have to admit that I am too)!
Thanks

Old 04-17-2008, 10:39 AM

11,839 posts, read 29,045,767 times
Here's a link that will help you.
Weather Cameras Site List Page - Federal Aviation Administration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska