Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 07:29 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Its quite simple. Pebble mine wants to mine resources. Some people are opposed to it saying it will wipe out the fishing industry (if pollution sets in). EPA rules, restrictions etc.

The simple fact of the matter is - LOOK around the inside of your house. EVERYTHING- in your home came from the dirt (resources) of the earth.
Sure, everything comes from somewhere. But where and how it's done is what's important. Mining can be done responsibly in areas where the impact to the environment is minimal. Or it can be done in a destructive manner. Ever see some of the creeks in West Virginia that are essentially toxic waste now from mining? Ever hear of Love's Canal? Industrial activity has a real impact when done irresponsibly. Money can't buy health or the environment back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 10:00 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Sure, everything comes from somewhere. But where and how it's done is what's important. Mining can be done responsibly in areas where the impact to the environment is minimal. Or it can be done in a destructive manner. Ever see some of the creeks in West Virginia that are essentially toxic waste now from mining? Ever hear of Love's Canal? Industrial activity has a real impact when done irresponsibly. Money can't buy health or the environment back.
Well your comparing apples to Oranges. The mines you're referring to were in fact toxic waste dumps from another era. Even in Alaska many of the streams and rivers were wasted, but recovered.

Today's mining is highly regulated and if they even thought about dumping toxic materials into the waterways they would be fined heavily and possibly jailed.

The Pebble folks haven't publish anything yet, but the anti-Pebble folks are doing their best to scare the Begees out of the average person by telling them what amounts to blatant lies and referring to mining practices from a century ago, they even try to minimize the Copper River mines when that area has fully recovered from the deeds of almost One hundred years past.

The best course of action is to wait to see what their plans are and then pick at the negatives of that instead of slandering something that hasn't been published yet.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:44 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
But one thing about Alaska is that very strict mining as well as waste disposal rules apply, and these rules are stricter than the Federal Government rules relating to both industries.

Perhaps we have learned form the past, not only in relation to mining and oil drilling, but trapping, hunting, predator/prey management, and so forth.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:32 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
But one thing about Alaska is that very strict mining as well as waste disposal rules apply, and these rules are stricter than the Federal Government rules relating to both industries.

Perhaps we have learned form the past, not only in relation to mining and oil drilling, but trapping, hunting, predator/prey management, and so forth.
Not surprisingly, the biggest polluter in the State is the federal government, not the oil industry, mining, or any other private industry.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Not surprisingly, the biggest polluter in the State is the federal government, not the oil industry, mining, or any other private industry.
Yep, almost all the bases in Alaska, past and present are toxic waste dumps and are on the list for the Superfund for cleanup. In the 1950's Ft. Greely had a small nuclear plant that had a melt down, they covered it with a concrete pad. Explains the giant moose there eh?

Old 08-21-2011, 01:13 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Yep, almost all the bases in Alaska, past and present are toxic waste dumps and are on the list for the Superfund for cleanup. In the 1950's Ft. Greely had a small nuclear plant that had a melt down, they covered it with a concrete pad. Explains the giant moose there eh?
Giant moose? You mean they are not suppose to be that big?

According to the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, Spill Prevention & Response Division, Contaminated Sites database that reactor meltdown occurred in 1964 as a result of the "Good Friday" quake, and was not officially cleaned up until 1974. However, their database does show a mustard gas spill just south of Delta Junction during the 1950s.

Source: Contaminated Sites Database Search - Alaska (http://dec.alaska.gov/spar/csp/search/default.asp - broken link)

FYI: I am responsible for their database and application, but not its contents. I do Windows, but I do not do data.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Giant moose? You mean they are not suppose to be that big?

According to the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, Spill Prevention & Response Division, Contaminated Sites database that reactor meltdown occurred in 1964 as a result of the "Good Friday" quake, and was not officially cleaned up until 1974. However, their database does show a mustard gas spill just south of Delta Junction during the 1950s.

Source: Contaminated Sites Database Search - Alaska (http://dec.alaska.gov/spar/csp/search/default.asp - broken link)

FYI: I am responsible for their database and application, but not its contents. I do Windows, but I do not do data.
One of the guys I use to work with was stationed at the Greely Power Plant in the late 50's when they had a small nuke plant there... I wonder if there was two spills?

I've never read any data on any of the radioactive spills, my only knowledge was he told me and over the years have heard that same story a number of times. Can you post any of the information?

Old 08-21-2011, 06:07 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well your comparing apples to Oranges. The mines you're referring to were in fact toxic waste dumps from another era. Even in Alaska many of the streams and rivers were wasted, but recovered.

Today's mining is highly regulated and if they even thought about dumping toxic materials into the waterways they would be fined heavily and possibly jailed.

The Pebble folks haven't publish anything yet, but the anti-Pebble folks are doing their best to scare the Begees out of the average person by telling them what amounts to blatant lies and referring to mining practices from a century ago, they even try to minimize the Copper River mines when that area has fully recovered from the deeds of almost One hundred years past.

The best course of action is to wait to see what their plans are and then pick at the negatives of that instead of slandering something that hasn't been published yet.
Yes, apples and oranges to a point, but it was more to illustrate a point that mining can't be given total freedom without severe consequences. Mining interests in some lower 48 states have corrupted state governments enough in some cases to continue creating disasters.

It is best to wait and see what the actual plans are, but there is a legitimate reason for people to be concerned about the impact.

I'm not entirely sure how long I've been reading about Pebble but I wish they'd hurry up and release their actual plans so things can be judged accurately.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure how long I've been reading about Pebble but I wish they'd hurry up and release their actual plans so things can be judged accurately.
That is what I'm waiting for...

Old 09-11-2011, 09:41 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Really wondering if it's Alaskans or Washington state residents who benefit from the fishing jobs in Bristol Bay. Maybe it would be better to end commercial fishing in Bristol Bay and return it to a subsistence user only area.

[LEFT]Washington state Democratic Sen. Maria Cantwell intends to enter the fray Monday. She plans to ask the head of the Environmental Protection Agency to consider using the Clean Water Act — if necessary — to stop the proposed Pebble Mine project on Bristol Bay

And she says the issue is particularly crucial to Washington state's economy, with Bristol Bay providing $113 million a year for its commercial fisheries.
"Nearly a thousand Washingtonians hold commercial fishing permits in Bristol Bay, supporting thousands more fishery jobs in my state," Cantwell says in the letter.

Read more: Lawmakers dueling over proposed Alaska gold mine | McClatchy

[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska