Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,928 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
this is my first time using this forum so I do ask that you bear with me and forgive me if I ask questions that have been previously answered. Anyway...
I am hoping to transfer to the University of Alaska system for the Fall 2011 semester and I am debating on whether I should choose UAF or UAA.
I know there are many reasons you could give me but I am looking to get certain questions answered.
I already know that Fairbanks gets a lot colder than Anchorage does in the winters, that it is hotter in the summers, and that Anchorage is by the bay.
The heat is not a problem for me since I live in Phoenix where the temp. can go up to 120-125 degrees during the summer. I enjoy cold weather a lot so I would not mind either climate. I have heard that Anchorage has mountains in its surroundings but although they are beautiful to look at I wouldn't necessarily miss them if I lived in Fairbanks.
I am really into wildlife so I WOULD like to know where I can have more access to it. What location would give me a better experience regarding this point? I do like moose in particular so it would be nice to know which city is more...moosey (?) Okay, so it doesn't have to be overrun by moose just as long as it has them. I have been leaning towards Fairbanks but I have heard many people say that Anchorage is better for Wildlife. I know that it is better for whales and stuff but Fairbanks would be perfect too as long as it has rivers and other bodies of water I can always plan a trip to go see whales later.
Another thing that might help you in answering me is that I am not really a fan of the 'nightlife' and 'entertainment' thing and much prefer to go out and do other activities with friends rather than going to bars and such. I would just need access to a decent grocery store and something like a Walmart or Target type of store. Are these available in Fairbanks? Malls wouldn't be an issue since I do not frequent them a lot.
Which place requires less travel time to go see bears (any bear, really)?
I just want to take the time to thank everyone in advance for their answers and I do apologize if any of my questions may seem stupid or ignorant but I am really just trying to figure things out.
Thank you.
Kathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 11:28 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,812,998 times
If you are looking for a traditional college experience I'd suggest UAF in Fairbanks. As for your other questions you've really answered them yourself. You've listed the pros and cons and already debated them. The UAA campus in Anchorage just doesn't have that traditional college feel to it. I always felt like it was geared more toward the old student looking to finish up a degree or something like that. Just my opinion.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:56 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,336,101 times
You should probably choose the campus that fits better with your major. Both cities have whatever stores you'd need and enough wildlife and scenery nearby to keep just about anyone happy. UAF has a neat campus with good science programs, especially. Don't know anything about UAA.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:13 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,086,364 times
There aren't any places where you can just go see bears that you can drive to. If you spend a lot of time near salmon streams when the salmon are there you might see a bear. They really aren't that common to see unless you fly out to some areas in the middle of the salmon run and can really find bears.

If you are real interested in wildlife I think Anchorage would be better but of course it's all out of town and you will need a car. There are mountain sheep to see, and moose of course in either place. The Russian River area when the fish are in might be a good place to see bears.

But to see wildlife in Alaska you really need to get out a lot. Wildlife are here but are spread more thinly than they are down south where there is more food for them If you know where to go and have to time to go there you can find plenty of animals in either place.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:05 PM

20,345 posts, read 37,556,395 times
To see wildlife other than moose, fox, and such you have to drive out of Fairbanks or Anchorage. The first two species I mentioned can be seen right on campus at UAF Places to see wolves and bears are Denali Park, and a few others (all away from the cities).

But lets say that you attend UAF. In this case, unlike Anchorage, there aren't large mountains nearby. There are hills nearby all around Fairbanks, and mountains farther out, Including Denali. You can often see moose, caribou, fox, etc. when driving the Richardson Highway away from UAF, but moose and fox can be seen around UAF and Fairbanks, and off the roads around Fairbanks.
Close to UAF:

Old 11-13-2010, 08:48 PM

P.S. I apologize for the "crops" above (not the best)

Old 11-13-2010, 09:12 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,812,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
P.S. I apologize for the "crops" above (not the best)
Geez, I'm in awe of your pics. Wish I had a camera that was good enough to get that kinda detail. What are you using?

Old 11-13-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Geez, I'm in awe of your pics. Wish I had a camera that was good enough to get that kinda detail. What are you using?
An old canon 40D, but with two very good and not too expensive Canon primes in 200mm L (smaller moose and greenish water), and 400mm L for the other two moose under golden light.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:33 PM

204 posts, read 475,775 times
I'm biased, but I'll give you one chance to guess what I'd say... lol

Old 08-01-2013, 03:46 AM

15 posts, read 61,831 times
I never been to Alaska. I live in Florida and I don't like the heat and humid days her that gets to 90°F in the summer and/or all year long. I will probably prefer Fairbanks because it doesn't get below average freezing tempatures like in Anchorage, and it doesn't rain so often in Fairbanks (it rains often in Anchorage) that's if u like outdoor activites recommend Fairbanks for an outdoor person. But I like the City of Anchorage but the crime rate increased in anchorage from information I gathered because I'm planning to visit Alaska ** This is all my opinion I would suggest & again never been there: just gathered information **
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska